spladle08

Women's Upper Weights Olympics

Between Welker, Elor, Addie G, Blades, TMS, etc etc we've got some horses.

Most of the lighter weights are predictable

But clearly im most curious about Tamyra or Adeline not making a team in what would likely be their last Olympics (I'd assume ). Any thoughts on where the "young batch", of girls go?

After looking at Ages .

This is probably the last rodeo for most of them

Hilde, TMS, Helen, Adeline, and several other top women will be 30+

How sad , the 2024 Olympics will see a lot of stars ride off into the sunset. :(

1 minute ago, treep2000 said:

Elor is to team usa WFS as Snyder is to team usa MFS.  Mark it.

You dont think she'll be denied 1 Olympic birth by Adeline or Tamyra? 

Ive been a fan of hers for  a awhile but man, hate to see any of them stay home 

Just now, spladle08 said:

Honestly,  no.  I think Amit Elor, at 18, has arrived.  Gray will have to have recovered.  The stock/elor match will be epic, but I am thinking Elor right now.  It's only a hunch... 

While browsing the UWW site for participants' profiles in the last few years, I noticed that the women were a little older than the men. Most of the weights had several entries in their early-mid thirties, while the men only had one or two

World Medalist still likely to compete in 2028 & their current age:

Amit Elor: 18

Dom Parrish: 25

Kayla Miracle: 26

Malory Velte: 27

Forrest Molinari: 27

Becca Leathers: 25

Women's wrestling is ripe with opportunity in the USA - they're separating from the field while chasing Japan. It'll be emotional when our seasoned veterans retire, but I think it will be mostly joyful. The work these women have put in to make the whole country better probably won't stop when they retire: They'll be the most accomplished generation ever, and their retirement could align with great NCAA coaching opportunities. I believe it's the beginning of a bigger thing rather than the end of an era. 

Edited by denger
Mr. Parrish correction

13 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I don't think Elor will be denied. If she is, I'll be just as happy, but she just did something special, and she's still getting better and stronger. 

It's also great that she has a group of elite peers to push her domestically, and to back up our dominance in upper weights for the next decade. 

I doubt any of the youngsters is shooting for TMS in 2024, but I don't know what the younger wrestlers will grow into. Gray moved up over the years. Helen moved down then back up. Hildebrandt moved down. The 53 - 65 have a lot of movement in general. But, I think those young elites are going to aim for 76 in 2024 before setting their next goals. 

14 minutes ago, denger said:

I don't think Elor will be denied. If she is, I'll be just as happy, but she just did something special, and she's still getting better and stronger. 

It's also great that she has a group of elite peers to push her domestically, and to back up our dominance in upper weights for the next decade. 

I doubt any of the youngsters is shooting for TMS in 2024, but I don't know what the younger wrestlers will grow into. Gray moved up over the years. Helen moved down then back up. Hildebrandt moved down. The 53 - 65 have a lot of movement in general. But, I think those young elites are going to aim for 76 in 2024 before setting their next goals. 

Im anxious for a couple of mens battles, but on the women's side 76kg definitely has my attention. 

TMS is definitely a person who would be vulnerable to Elor’s style. You get even the slightest bit sloppy and Amit Elor is putting you on your back. TMS is a great wrestler (see: Olympic gold) but she has vulnerabilities.

Adeline is going to have a hard time holding off Elor if she goes up. She’s no spring chicken and just had twins.

In short, I think Elor takes the spot at either weight. I don’t see Blades beating her, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, jross said:

Why is the highest weight class so light?

A good perennial question.
76 kg is 167.5lbs

Three of the high school weight classes are above it
14 Weight Classes: 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 155, 170, 190, 235

Two of the collegiate weight classes are above it.
10 weight classes as: 101lbs., 109lbs., 116lbs., 123lbs., 130lbs., 136lbs., 143lbs., 155lbs., 170lbs., and 191lbs.

Why isn't the lightest weight at 46-48?

11 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

Another note: Dom's generation is the last one that *had* to wrestle boys in high school.
I see a noticeable fall off in depth.

Looking for clarification -  Are you saying the next generation of women wrestlers are going to be worse because they don't have to wrestle boys?

51 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Looking for clarification -  Are you saying the next generation of women wrestlers are going to be worse because they don't have to wrestle boys?

I suspect there is a causal relationship there.
I can't point to hard data, but I scan the horizon for up and coming women within a 1-2 weight class range and I do not see the same depth of talent.

The generation that had to wrestle boys:
Winchester is 4 years older than Dom.
Lampe is 6 years older.
Burkert is 3 years older.
Fearnside is 2 years older.
Heaton is a year younger.
Villeascusa is a year younger.

Looking at the next generation who largely didn't have to wrestle boys:
Howk is 3 years younger.
Taylor is 3 years younger.
Prussin is 3 years younger.
Ikei is 4? years younger.
The rest of the younger 53kg wrestlers aren't factors right now.

Athletes who will likely stay at 50s:
Shilson
Mortimer
Golston

There's a big gap between the older generation and the younger one.
Some of this is experience and maturity, but some of it isn't.
The style of wrestling is just different.
Less physical, less rough, less intense.

Amit Elor doesn't have an analogue at 53kgs.

Audrey Jimenez would be the closest to that, but she's a few years out from making a senior national team (I think and I'm pretty impressed with her).

I don't see any other up and comer with breakout potential at 53kgs.

Edited by Mike Parrish

13 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

For the record, Dom is 25.

My upper weight predictions for Paris:

Makoyed 76kg

Mensah-Stock 68kg

Miracle 62kg

Another note: Dom's generation is the last one that *had* to wrestle boys in high school.
I see a noticeable fall off in depth.

Curious to hear why you think Makoyed beats Elor for the Olympic spot at 76?

Dominique Parrish is my favorite wrestler! Ask me why!

12 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Her most recent match was 76kg WTTs, round 2, where she got teched by Guilford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She wrestled at the rankings series event in Tunisia. lost to Guilford by a point in the pool. Pinned world silver Hamza in the semis and then beat Guilford in the finals 5-2.  Also a W over past world champ Di Stasio at the Spanish Grand Prix. 

9 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Her most recent match was 76kg WTTs, round 2, where she got teched by Guilford.

I did.

She's coming into her adult strength.
She's a bunch more technical that she used to be.
She's fixed her biggest problem which was her gas tank.

She's also much more patient and mat smart.

It'll be interesting.  Who's to say that Welker and Blades haven't also continued to improve.  We now know, factually,  that Elor is a monster.  We may literally have 3-4 of the top 5 in the world at the same weight in the very near future.  Incredible.

2 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

I think Elor goes down to 68 and loses to Mensah-Stock.

Doesn't it make more sense for Elor to take her chances in a bracket with Welker, Blades, Makoyed, Guilford and possibly Gray?  There would be no one with a bye to the finals and none of these competitors are on the level of TMS.  

It appears more daunting for Elor to drop down to 68 (thus depleting herself), go through the Trials challenge tournament and then try to take out the defending world champ (who would be waiting in the finals) in a best of 3, no?

Dominique Parrish is my favorite wrestler! Ask me why!