Sign in to follow this  
DF

The solution to the Burroughs riddle

Mr. Burroughs is a very nice guy and obviously a great wrestler (of the heroic variety). But there's a relatively simple solution to the riddle his power double presents.

You ready for the answer?

Here it is:

Stay close.

That's it, it's that simple.

Stay close.

You don't give guys with super duper speed and power lots of room to utilize it. You stay close, either tie up with them at all times or close the gap as much as possible when you're in neutral, so they can't power double into you.

I wrestled a guy with a similar style to Mr. Burroughs at state. He would shoot from literally half way across the mat and he was so strong and fast that almost nobody could stop his shots.

Except me.

I immediately tied up with him whenever in neutral, using the Russian 2-on-1 tie, and that was all it took to stop him because he had no room to set-up for his power double.

"The most difficult questions often have the simplest answers."

And I would guess you finished second to him.

No I wrestled him in the quarters.

Final score 3-2.

2 takedown + 1 escape for me and 2 reversal for him.

It was a snoozefest.

But he didn't get one of his legendary shots because I didn't give him any room to do it.

You can't shoot when your opponent stays inches away from you the entire match.

The strategy actual does work, but only to keep it close and not enough to win......yet. Howe actually has wrestled Burroughs pretty close a few times, and Tsargush used this strategy at the Olympics and that match did in fact come down to the final minute. The problem is that even if you shut Burroughs down for 95 percent of the match, ultimately he will find some point in the match to execute a shot. And that's all it takes to win a close one.

See Dake WTT match 2 for the most obvious example. I was kind of surprised that Dake didn't use the match 2 strategy in match 1. You can bet that Dake will employ the match 2 game plan next time they wrestle, thank god we now have a passive shot clock!

This has to be one of the most obvious no scheit posts I have read in a long time. Did it really take you a month to come up with this brilliant analysis?

DF, Mr Satiev agrees with your strategy. Here, you see him get power doubled by one of America's all time greats. After that, he adopts your strategy and hangs on the 2on1, takes away all space, and gets the win.

jb will need to execute some upper body stuff (offensive and defensive) at this year's worlds in order to win. most of his opponents are going to crowd him chest to chest.

he'll need to defend and score with trips and throws. if not, he's looking at his first l.

This has to be one of the most obvious no scheit posts I have read in a long time. Did it really take you a month to come up with this brilliant analysis?

If it's so obvious then why haven't the best wrestlers in the world who have wrestled Mr. Burroughs tried it to its full ability?

They still give him plenty of room to shoot, so it's not as obvious as you think.

You crowd a power shooter when in neutral at all times. You don't give him the opportunity (and distance) to set up his power shot. The best is the Russian 2-on-1. You get it and LEAN into him FIERCELY so he has to carry your weight and has no angle for a power shot.

The first wrestler to defeat Mr. Burroughs will not be one who goes toe-to-toe with him, it will be one who slows down the pace, crowds him, and wins a low scoring, boring match.

If that happens remains to be seen, as the force of his heroics may be too much for the powers of the anti-heroic side.

DF - Did the ref at least ding this guy with a stall warning when he didn't even try to shoot?

No, but I got the token stall warning with about 30 seconds left in the 3rd period after his coach yelled something like "He's just holding on, he's not doing anything!"

I think it's written somewhere in the rules that if a coach (or spectator) makes a loud, angry-sounding remark about one wrestler "not doing anything!"/"make them wrestle!" then the ref must respond with a stall call, and immediately so if the match is close and almost over.

DF, Mr Satiev agrees with your strategy. Here, you see him get power doubled by one of America's all time greats. After that, he adopts your strategy and hangs on the 2on1, takes away all space, and gets the win.

Several remarkable things about that match:

1. It's amazing how gigantic Joe Williams was at that weight.

2. Williams looked incredibly uncomfortable in any tieup at all, whizzer, underhook, 2 on 1, and even a collar tie.

3. Saitiev was way better at scrambling.

Big difference between Burroughs and Williams is that Burroughs moves around and looks for openings to score from dynamic positions. Williams stood still and looked to score from static positions, which played right into Saitiev's strategy of controlling the positions.

And I would guess you finished second to him.

No I wrestled him in the quarters.

Final score 3-2.

2 takedown + 1 escape for me and 2 reversal for him.

It was a snoozefest.

But he didn't get one of his legendary shots because I didn't give him any room to do it.

You can't shoot when your opponent stays inches away from you the entire match.

Since when did you get serious?

Watch what happens when these guys try to stay close and tie up.

The old stock Firemans Carry by Burroughs will show up. So will the duck under and go behind. Then he'll nail someone with a single leg takedown. On a lesser wrestler he'll go for a headlock to a cement mixer and straight to a fall.

He moves, and moves a lot and creates opportunity for himself.

Mr. Burroughs is a very nice guy and obviously a great wrestler (of the heroic variety). But there's a relatively simple solution to the riddle his power double presents.

Here it is:

Stay close.

Stay close.

You don't give guys with super duper speed and power lots of room to utilize it. You stay close, either tie up with them at all times or close the gap as much as possible when you're in neutral, so they can't power double into you.

I wrestled a guy with a similar style to Mr. Burroughs at state. He would shoot from literally half way across the mat and he was so strong and fast that almost nobody could stop his shots.

Except me.

I immediately tied up with him whenever in neutral, using the Russian 2-on-1 tie, and that was all it took to stop him because he had no room to set-up for his power double.

I cant believe I am even posting because I have successfully ignored DF for 5 years but, regardless, DF, you come across as stupider than before, every time you make a post.

Here it is:

Stay close.

Stay close.

Except me.

I cant believe I am even posting because I have successfully ignored DF for 5 years but, regardless, DF, you come across as stupider than before, every time you make a post.

And yours is an example of a good post? Just jump in with no contribution to the discussion and call someone stupider? I've never seen DF do that, he always has an argument one way or another, and he makes a valid point with this thread.....he is a state champion.