Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

UFC 163: PSU's Phil Davis beats Lyoto Machida

I had Machida squeeking out a close decision based on landing more "significant" strikes. Davis held his owb though and apparently the judges rewarded Davis for his overall attack. Good win for Phil he maybe one big fight away from a title shot now. I still think Davis is still a young talent and has lots of room for growth. Hopefully he keeps tweaking his training and shows even more skills in his next fight.

I thought Machida won a very close decision, but wasn't too surprised that Davis got the nod. Fights like that are hard to judge. Do you put a premium on Machida Landing the most significant strikes, or the fact that Davis completely controlled the takedowns and where the fight takes place, for the most part, even though he didn't do much damage?

Machida should know he isn't going to win close fights. The problem is his counter striking style always looks like he is running away. I understand the theory behind it, but to fans(and apparently judges) it looks like he is backing up the whole time.

Lyoto does backup the whole time. It is his strategy to backup, run away, dodge, get the angle, etc all to frustrate your opponent who is trying to actually fight you. Then when the guy is so tired from chasing down a fight, Lyoto goes balls to the wall attack mode and tries for a quick finish.

I hate his fighting style but he is extremely good at it... no one else fights like he does.

I'm pumped Phil Davis beat him. What if Lyotos opponents did the same thing as him? We'd see two guys at opposite ends of the cage dancing at each other with their fists up.