Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Rivalries that lasted all four years

I don't know the exact results but I know that Shane Roller of Oklahoma State and Luke Becker of Minnesota met at least a dozen times between 2000-2003. All I know is that Roller won their last meeting with a 34 second fall. Other than that, I actually think Becker had more wins.

They're not the only ones that saw each other a variety of different times over a four year period.

Although a year apart, Jeremy Spates of Missouri and Travis Shufelt of Nebraska saw each other a ton of times on the mat.

I don't know if it lasted for 4 years or 3 years but Hartung and Fullheart had a great rivalry. They were all very exciting and all very close. Somehow Hartung was able to win most of them. I think the record between these two was something like 8-1 or 9-1. I believe the only one Hartung lost was on a locking hands call in overtime in the finals of the National Duals.

You pretty much have to figure that if two guys are from the same conference and stayed at the same weight the list of such rivalries would be almost endless.

Great, any examples? Off the top of my head in more recent years I do believe that Cole Von Ohlen and Josh Wilson had a good rivalry. I don't know if Wilson ever won any of the matches, but he did give Von Ohlen a couple of good scares. I'm sure that the Western Regional/WWC has had more.

As for Vega and Strittmatter, I don't think Vega ever did defeat Strittmatter. I think Strittmatter won every meeting between the two.

Beckman vs Gulibon could be one we see for the next 3 years. I believe they wrestled multiple times last season both in Red Shirt years. Beckman has already used one year of eligibility. I dont really see either one getting bigger then 133.

I think Ware vs Gallick was all four years, and was a great rivalry. Gallick beat him just about every time, except for the NCAA finals their junior year, which gave Ware his second title. That one was a really good match. Gallick got his NCAA title the next year against Ware.

I don't know the exact results but I know that Shane Roller of Oklahoma State and Luke Becker of Minnesota met at least a dozen times between 2000-2003. All I know is that Roller won their last meeting with a 34 second fall. Other than that, I actually think Becker had more wins.

They're not the only ones that saw each other a variety of different times over a four year period.

Although a year apart, Jeremy Spates of Missouri and Travis Shufelt of Nebraska saw each other a ton of times on the mat.

Here is what I have found for Becker Vs Roller. An article stated that Becker was 4-2 Vs Roller going into their senior year. I can't find all the meetings, but here is what I have.

2000 Becker defeated Roller 7-6 at the National Duals

2001 Becker defeated Roller 7-2 at the National Duals

2001 Roller defeated Becker 12-10 at the NCAA's

2002 Becker defeated Roller 13-6 in a dual meet

2003 Roller defeated Becker 9-5 in a dual meet

2003 Roller pins Becker in :34 at NCAA's

Here is what I have found regarding Spates and Shufelt

2002 Spates defeat Shufelt 6-5 BIG XII

2002 Shufelt pins Spates 4:20 BIG XII

2003 Shufelt pins Spates 5:29 CKLV

2004 Spates defeats Shufelt 6-4 dual meet

2004 Shufelt pins Spates 3:14 BIG XII

2004 Spates defeats Shufelt 4-2 NCAA's

only 3 years (all that was allowed back then) but:

Mike Caruso, Lehigh vs. Bob Fehrs, Michigan

65 Caruso d Fehrs 8-5 NCAA Finals

66 Caruso d Fehrs 9-6 NCAA Finals

67 Caruso d Fehrs 7-6 NCAA Finals

that's a rivalry.

Caruso was from Jersey. Fehrs was from Pennsylvania.

2001 Roller defeated Roller 12-10 at the NCAA's

Don't coaches always say "don't beat yourself"......?

There were times on the mat where I wondered if Roller did in fact, "defeat himself". There were two types of Rollers. The one that showed up and stuck you or the one that was sluggish and tired. I preferred the first.

Anyway, I'll edit it.

My brother (Alex) and Ryan Bertin of Michigan. Only went 3 years but some great individual matches. I believe they finished 4-4 against each other, but Bertin won the NCAA Tournament battles (2x champ) while Alex won the Big 10 Tournament battles (2x champ).

Speaking of, we may have more of these in the expanded, tougher than ever, Big 10. The HWT recruiting class alone this year and last could bring some epic 3-4 year matchups.

Johnny Thompson and Ryan Lewis as well as Johnny Thompson and Mark Jayne were a great rivalry as well.

They met twice in 2002. In the dual meet, Thompson took an early 5-1 lead, but Lewis came back to tie the match 7-7, and with short time locked up a cradle and pinned Thompson

The next meeting was in the NCAA finals where Thompson edged Lewis 5-4

In 2003, Lewis won the dual 6-5 and Thompson won the NCAA finals 5-3.

Against Jayne

won 3-2 at the 2003 NCAA's

lost 6-4 s.v. at the 2003/04 Missouri Open

won fall 5:33 at the 2004 NCAA's

I was thinking that Jayne had another win over Thompson, but can't confirm it.

Weren't Rowlands and Mocco a pretty big deal, as well as Thompson/Pierce/Walter at Heavy?

Speaking of Mocco, I remember him and Kole Konrad of Minnesota had a bit of a rivalry that went on. They had some good battles and Konrad came out on top overall.

Trust Jay to come up with the biggest rivalry. Just checking out my History of the EIWA for Gleasman - Closson matches.

1994 Closson 4th Gleasman 5th in EIWA They probably wrestled in consi semi's

1995 Closson pins Gleasman in Semis. They finish 2-3 Hicks the champ

Both reshirt in 1996

1997 Gleasman pins Closson in Semis. They finish 1-3

1998 Gleasman beats Closson in finals. Closson gets him in their last match ever in NCAA consi semi's in sudden death o.t. I remember watching that match and thinking how fitting they went to sudden death. Closson finished 4th and Gleasman 6th. A great rivalry comes to an end.