Sign in to follow this  
keith97btown

Bloomsburg names Mester head wrestling coach

BLOOMSBURG -- Bloomsburg University Director of Athletics Michael McFarland has announced the hiring of Jason Mester as the new head coach for wrestling. Mester comes to Bloomsburg from Central Michigan University (CMU) where he was an assistant coach for the Chippewas.

"This is a great opportunity for me and my family and I am looking forward to continuing the strong wrestling tradition at Bloomsburg," said Mester. "My goal is to inspire, motivate and work to see the young men I will be entrusted with coaching achieve their goals, both in school and on the mat."

"There is a lot of talent returning from last year's team that finished ranked in the top 15," Mester continued. "I can't wait to meet the guys and get working on the 2013-14 season."

Mester, a graduate of Central Michigan, spent one season as the Chippewas' top assistant coach after two seasons as the assistant coach at the University of Missouri. While with the Tigers he helped lead the team to their first Big 12 Tournament championship in 2012 after a runner-up finish in 2011. Missouri boasted a school-record four individual Big 12 champions in 2012 and qualified an individual for the NCAA Championships in all 10 weight classes.

Prior to Missouri, Mester spent five seasons as the strength and conditioning coach at the University of Nebraska. He worked directly with 14 All-Americans and three NCAA Championships finalists -- including two national champions -- and was part of a staff that led Nebraska to a pair of fourth-place team finishes at the NCAA Championships.

"Today is a great day to be a Husky and I am proud to welcome Jason, his wife Lory, and their two children (daughter Charlotte and son Cecil) to the Bloomsburg community," said McFarland. "Everyone was impressed with Jason's vision for the program, leadership style, and how he plans to mold young men in and outside of the wrestling room," McFarland added. "His style and personality will fit in perfectly in this wonderful community."

One of the top wrestlers in CMU history, Mester is tied for 11th in school history with 104 career victories from 2001-04. He won three Mid-American Conference championships (2001, 2003, 2004) at 141 pounds and was an All-American in both 2003 and 2004. A three-time recipient of the Chick Sherwood Award as CMU's Most Valuable Wrestler, Mester was named MAC Wrestler of the Year as a senior.

Mester's career winning percentage of .806 (104-25 overall) still ranks fourth overall in program history, and he owns two of the top eight single-season winning percentages in CMU history: .897 (26-3 overall, No. 6 all-time) in 2002-03 and .891 (33-4 overall, No. 8 all-time) in 2003-04.

Mester earned a sport studies degree from CMU in 2004. He spent his first year following graduation as an assistant coach at CMU, helping lead the Chippewas to MAC regular season and tournament titles and a 12th-place finish at the NCAA Championships in 2005.

Mester takes over for John Stutzman who was named the head coach at Buffalo in May.

Nice solid hire. Mester was tough on the mat and has been mentored by some of the best in the business during his coaching career.

Does anybody know if any of the Bloom wrestlers that wrestled for Stutz transfeerd to Buff? If not, the Huskies should be in pretty good shape this year.

^^Some of the Bloom returnees are planning to transfer, but none of the starters. Assume Bloom 2014 lineup will be: Boylan at 125, Wilcox at 133; Rappo at 141. There was talk that Kevin Hartnett might try to suck to 149, but I don't know if he can make it, hold the weight and wrestle energized. Otherwise, might see Matt Hicks at 149. Was talk that Derek Shingara might come back to team, but I have not heard that recently. Look for Busler at 157 (Hartnett could help out at 157, if not at 149); Veltre at 165; Dessino at 174; Shirey at 184; Perry at 197 and Grant at hwt. YES, good team.

Of all the guys mentioned, I like Mester probably the best. He has been working under some great head coaches and he got it done on the mat. Still young, he can probably still wrestle and help the middle weights get better. That is something Bloom lacks since Owen left. Interested to see who he brings in as an assistant coach. Perry and Dessino probably could use someone bigger to help them in the room.

I have heard rumor that Busler may go to 149. I think the transfer of Tyler Rill hurts a little bit for the future of Bloom. If I were Boylen, I would look to redshirt and figure out what he can do to up his game. He was too good in high school to struggle the way he has. He was one kid that didn't get better under Stutzman. Maybe Mester can get him to improve. 125 in the EWL is pretty tough.

Regarding no transfers, that confuses me. Stutzman had a lot of money at Buffalo and the fact that he couldn't get any of his kids to follow him, is quite baffling, possibly telling.

I guess when you hear about someone going to coach, you automatically make the assumption that they are going to teach their style of wrestling to their wrestlers. If that ends up being the case, I suspect the conditioning of Bloomsburg wrestlers to be superb. Mester had a gas tank on him like no other. The guy didn't get tired, you just couldn't wear him out.

^^^There are some Bloom recruits and non-starter returnees who have decided to enroll at the Univ at Buffalo. It might be that one reason the guys who are penciled in to start this coming season for Bloom did NOT decide to transfer is the fact that nine of the ten are seniors. The Huskies likely will have a senior-dominated starting line-up this coming season.

Valid points Stovepipe. I do think he did not leave the program in very good shape for Mester after this year. It's going to take a Mester a few tough years before he can build the program back up. Maybe 3-4. Stutzman's recruiting since 2010 has been almost non-existent. On a positive note, most of Bloom's scholarships $$ should open up after this year.

The Div I college wrestling community take on John Stutzman's eight-year head coaching career at Bloomsburg is that he did a fantastic job - coaching, recruiting (off about 3.5 scholarships), discipline, winning and leading. He left the program well-stocked and poised for a very good 2014. Further, Coach Stutzman was a tireless worker in the battle to move the EWL forward. Imo, John Stutzman did a tremendous job at Bloomsburg helping Bloomsburg wrestling and the EWL.

No argument here. Everything that you say, I agree with. However, you have to admit that after this year, the program really has very little in the bank. Also, I have been told that Bloom has had close to 5 scholarshps, not 3.5 like we've heard. Now granted, that still is tough to compete against other teams with 9.9 but a little better than the 3.5 that you mention. Obviously this is just a forum, but do you know for sure they only have 3.5 scholarships?

I will also say that the kids that Mester inherits this year are great kids. Good wrestlers and disciplined good kids. Stutzman definitely ran a tight ship when it comes to that aspect. I am interested to see if Mester can push some of these kids over the top and into an AA spot because they have come up short over the last 4-5 years.