141-Brian Owen/Demuelle/Blaine Invernon

149-Chris Castillo/Steven Hernandez/Travis Himmelman

157-Steven Hernandez/Holden Packard

165-Holden Packard/Scott Bacon/Nick Wooden

174-Scott Bacon/Jake Swartz

184-Jake Swartz

197-Cody Dixon

HWT-JT Felix

Swartz is considering a cut back down to 174, which would create a big log jam in the middle weights and leave a hole at 184. Obviously not the best option for the team, but I put in the second options anyway. Felix, Swartz, and Owen should AA if healthy (big 'if' for Owen). Possible 3-5 other NQ with Dixon, Bacon, Packard, Castillo and Herndandez. Whoever comes out of 125/133 will be largely unproven.

Penn State guys. You guys seem pretty certain on Beitz. What about Frey or Retherford? Is Beitz that clear of a favorite? I can see where Retherford may need a year to get college ready but Frey has been competing well in opens since he arrived at PSU.

Frey couldn't make 141 last year so I see no reason to expect he will make it this year.

Nebraska:

125 Tim Lambert - RFR (challenged by Coufal & Montoya) - Coufal is the returning starter, Montoya a NQ transfer, but I suspect Lambert wins the gig and a couple matches in the NC, finishes round of 12.

133 Ben Morgan - RFR (challenged by Nagel) - Again a RFR pushes out a returning starter. Morgan should qualify for the NCAAs.

141 - A. Abidin - SO - JUCO NC transfer. Should do quite well at 141.

149 - J Sueflon JR or Destin McCauley (FR) - Hard to see Sueflon winning out here, McCauley to start and place.

157 - James Green JR - 2 time AA, looking for a higher place.

165 - Austin Wilson SO - surprise starter at 165 last year, NQ, went 3-2 at NCAA and made it to the R12. He will expect to place this year. A someone from 174 may drop to challenge.

174 - Robert Kokesh JR - placed 3rd last year, wants to improve but the weight has gotten more difficult. Just getting 3rd again will be a serious challenge. The 3 guys who redshirted went 29-9, 25-12 and 17-6. They will not want to wait for Kokesh to leave to get a shot.

184 - Pat Downey (FR) or TJ Dudley (RFR) - Both are really good and wrestle-offs will be a bear. May see someone move from 174 to challenge.

197 - Loser at 184, Caleb Kolb (SR), Spencer Johnson (SO) - Kolb was the starter, got an invite to the NCAAs (shows how weak 197 was - his record was under 500). Johnson started at HWT but is a 197 lber.

HWT - Johnson - Colin Jensen RFR - likely the weakest of the weights.

Still going to be a very competitive team. I suspect 9 NQ and it could be all 10.

149 - J Sueflon JR or Destin McCauley (FR) - Hard to see Sueflon winning out here, McCauley to start and place.

Thanks for the rundown but can't disagree more with you here with the way it's phrased. You find it "hard to see" Sueflon starting? The same guy who had an outstanding first year, beating several AA's along the way?

Love your expectations for McCauley but let's wait until burying Sueflon, who I thought was one of the best young talents in the country last year.

Thanks for the rundown but can't disagree more with you here with the way it's phrased. You find it "hard to see" Sueflon starting? The same guy who had an outstanding first year, beating several AA's along the way?

Love your expectations for McCauley but let's wait until burying Sueflon, who I thought was one of the best young talents in the country last year.

No question. It is a crime to see either of them sit, but that is just my gut. You are correct, we will know when wrestle offs start. Maybe A. Abidin cuts to 133 and one of the two cuts to 141. I would love to see them, plus Abidin and Green start all matches. I hope it happens, but do not see how. Not certain that Green would want to move up to 165, esp since he was wrestling 145 in freestyle. And, oh by the way, Wilson may have something to say about that.

Manning has done a nice job recruiting, he needs to develop the talent and keep them around.

No chance Green goes up to 165 to make room?

Green has a great shot of winning 157.

Nebraska is not going to win the National Championship. There's no reason to bump Green up for the team when he has a chance at winning 157.

He had a win over St. John last season and has a better shot of beating DSJ @ 157 than he does Taylor up at 165.

Why not redshirt McCauley who hasn't seen folkstyle competition in several years?

The following year, you then either sit Green while Sueflohn finishes up or sit Sueflohn while Green finishes up. This decision would likely depend on health, match-ups, chances of an NCAA title, etc.

The year after that, you would still have McCauley + which ever guy redshirted.

Great situation for Manning and Nebraska.

I think Green, McCauley and Sueflohn all have redshirts left, so nobody is going to sit and lose a year.

from my understanding didn't McCauley's eligibility clock begin last year, so his last year at the OTC is considered his redshirt

Last I heard, Lambert was not going to make 125 but maybe that changed. Also, with Craig Brester moving back to the Howells area, what changes if any with the coaching staff? Also, didn't Brandon Browne move to O'Nieil ?

I see Dudley at 197lbs if he looses the 184Lbs wrestle off against Downey or vice versa.

Yea, I should have pointed out that my 1st thought for 197 is the loser at 184. Esp because Dudley was a 189 lb wrestler in HS 2 years ago.

The real question is how much stock do you put in the OTC invite ? I (obviously) put a lot of stock into it.

Also had no idea that Lambert may not make 125. Too bad, because that is still a hole for NU and Morgan is pretty tough at 133 - hate to see him or Lambert sit.

Caleb Kolb at 197 qualified for NCAA's and won a match. He's a 5th year senior that has a shot at placing at NCAA's next year, as most of his losses are by 1 or 2 points. I'm not seeing a 184 pounder losing his wrestle off and then bumping up to beat him.

Caleb Kolb at 197 qualified for NCAA's and won a match. He's a 5th year senior that has a shot at placing at NCAA's next year, as most of his losses are by 1 or 2 points. I'm not seeing a 184 pounder losing his wrestle off and then bumping up to beat him.

Kolb will be in the thick of things at 197lbs for sure but the loser at 184lbs wrestle offs can wrestle off later in the season for the 197lb spot. Dudley and Downey probably weigh closer to 195lbs as their natural walk around weight anyways.

I think Green, McCauley and Sueflohn all have redshirts left, so nobody is going to sit and lose a year.

from my understanding didn't McCauley's eligibility clock begin last year, so his last year at the OTC is considered his redshirt

What about the "getting on with your life" clock? He is going to be 21 when the season starts. mcCauley is OLDER than James Green, who is already a 2x AA.

What about the "getting on with your life" clock? He is going to be 21 when the season starts. mcCauley is OLDER than James Green, who is already a 2x AA.

What point are you trying to make?

McCauly, Downey or Earl Hall have not done anything wrong they are all starting college 2 years after graduating high school.

Point is that at some time these guys (like McCauley) have to actually go to college and wrestle as student athletes. Being a wrestling vagabond "is no way to go through life kid". It is ridiculous how long some of these kids put off going to college. I would like to know how many college careers go well when kids wait 2-3 years to enroll. It has to be tough going from journeymen semi-pro wrestler to college student going to class and living in dorms or sub par off campus housing and eating in the student dining halls. Do these kinds of wrestlers get degrees? Is Howe graduating this year or is he ion grad school already? A redshirt year while in college and 4 years of varsity eligibility is plenty. None of these wink wink Olympic redshirts have ended up as Olympic Team members. Enough is enough, go to school kid and enjoy and most importantly get a diploma!