Sign in to follow this  
jerbufoon

LINE UPS!

I wasn't suggesting any impropriety. I was just pointing out that he is older than a teammate who is already a 2x All-American. He might not want to graduate college at 26 years old. Regardless if he is going to stick with wrestling or go MMA or go into the workforce, 26 is a little on the late side to get started.

As others have pointed out, the track record of guys who took 2 years off (for wrestling related, as opposed to military or religion) before starting isn't that stellar. I personally think there is only so long you can wrestle for before it starts to get on you mentally and/or physically. He is a remarkable wrestler, but he also has worn a lot of tread off the tire before wrestling his first college match. I would think he is better off starting as soon as he can. If he redshirts, he will wrestle his first match at the same age where Kyle Dake was already a 3x NCAA champ.

^^Hofstra is one of my favorite teams. I guess I would comment, after seeing the above projection, that here mid Sept I still have NOT heard that either Booth or Luzhny have gotten waivers from the NCAA to compete this coming season. Also, I believe that Cam Tessari is rehabbing this fall, so I'd expect Cody Ruggirello will start and could turn into a situation where 2014 would be good year to RS Tessari.

Iowa

125 - Clark/Gilman 4th

133 - Ramos 1st

141 - Dziewa 7th

149 - ??? big unknown Kelly (possible wt issues) Cooper (extracurrilar issues). Cooper has higher potential,

could be 3rd

157 - St J 1st

165 - Moore 6th

174 - Evans 3rd

184 - Lofthouse 3rd

197 - Burak 7th

Hwt - Telford 3rd

My overly optimistic scenario could have Iowa with 2 champs and possibly 10 AA's.

Clark/Gilman ceiling is no lower than 1st.

125) Lambert (rfr) He was the best at this weight last year, including Nagel.

133) Morgan (rfr) Looking forward to seeing Gordy's son.

141) Abidin, Anthony (so)

149) McCauley (fr) or Sueflohn (jr) One of them shirts. I was hoping Jake could make 141 but no way.

157) Green (jr)

165) Wilson (rso) will be pushed hard by Wilbourn (rjr)

174) Kokesh (rjr)

184) Dudley (rfr) or Downey (fr)

197) Johnson (rjr), backed by Kolb (rsr) both are better than the 184 lbers.

hvy) Jensen (rfr)

125) Lambert (rfr) He was the best at this weight last year, including Nagel.

133) Morgan (rfr) Looking forward to seeing Gordy's son.

141) Abidin, Anthony (so)

149) McCauley (fr) or Sueflohn (jr) One of them shirts. I was hoping Jake could make 141 but no way.

157) Green (jr)

165) Wilson (rso) will be pushed hard by Wilbourn (rjr)

174) Kokesh (rjr)

184) Dudley (rfr) or Downey (fr)

197) Johnson (rjr), backed by Kolb (rsr) both are better than the 184 lbers.

hvy) Jensen (rfr)

Word is that Lambert outgrew 25 last spring. Kolb beat Johnson 9-2 in a tournament and something like 15-2 in the room prior to that tournament...what makes you think Johnson has closed that big of a gap?

^^Hofstra is one of my favorite teams. I guess I would comment, after seeing the above projection, that here mid Sept I still have NOT heard that either Booth or Luzhny have gotten waivers from the NCAA to compete this coming season. Also, I believe that Cam Tessari is rehabbing this fall, so I'd expect Cody Ruggirello will start and could turn into a situation where 2014 would be good year to RS Tessari.

I agree with you I am a big Ruggirello fan but don't see him beating Cam I also heard Cody will be the starter 1st semester and Cam will take over come 2nd semester you are also right about Booth and Luhzny still waiting on that its close though

Huskers (might as well have one more guess...)

25- montoya (nq, transfer)

33- lambert

41- abidin

49- mcauley (sueflohn redshirts)

57- green

65- wilson (went 3-2 at ncaa's, wilbourn is tough but if he couldn't take the spot last year he won't take it this year after wilson got in nearly 50 matches last season)

74- kokesh

84- dudley (downey redshirts)

97- kolb

285- jensen

After the OU Wrestling Orientation and later the Alumni Dinner (3 weeks later), this is what I know about OU's lineup.

125 Jared Patterson RS Sr He is much bigger than previous years

133 Cody Brewer RS So

141 Nick Lester RS Sr (weighed in at 147 several times last year, finally at his best weight class

149 Kendric Maple RS SR

157 Justin DeAngelis RS JR

165 Clark Glass RS FR

174 Andrew Howe RS SR

184 The starters here haven't even been mentioned yet.

194 Travis Russ RS SR

285 Ross Larson RS FR

Flores who wrestled at American for Cody is now a member of the Sooner Wrestling Club, he'll be trying to make the world team at 209/211. He'll make a good workout partner for Rutt and Larson. There is a 285 pound transfer from Cal Baptist that I believe was 2nd in NAIA. Sanja who was at American is also in the Sooner Wrestling Club. Reportedly DeAngelis and Glass are getting pushed by freshmen in practice, that weren't expected to present a challenge. There is finally sufficient depth of talent in the room for decent challenges in the ranking matches. Patterson, Brewer, Lester, Maple, Howe and Rutt are all bonfafide AA's with 2 maybe 3 finalists. Larson was a 3-sport star at Ankeny, Iowa, he'll be 240-250 very agile, about 6-2. I'll be interested how he performs. Cody is a very good big man coach, and there are now a lot of quality upper weight workout partners. I think there maybe one more AA (low out of 157, 165 or 285).

Nebraska

125: Lambert

133: Abidin

141: T. Galloway

149: McCauley

157: Green

165: M. Barnes

174: Kokesh

184: Downey

197:Dudley

Hwt: Johnson

If Barnes can make the cut I'm with you on 165. 197 is Johnson or Kolb though. They have too much talent to be pushed aside by a rfr 184 lber, even as good as he is. If Lambert can't make 125 now then they redshirt him last year? Why have your best wrestler on the bench to start the 2nd string true frosh?

Nebraska

125: Lambert

133: Abidin

141: T. Galloway

149: McCauley

157: Green

165: M. Barnes

174: Kokesh

184: Downey

197:Dudley

Hwt: Johnson

If Barnes can make the cut I'm with you on 165. 197 is Johnson or Kolb though. They have too much talent to be pushed aside by a rfr 184 lber, even as good as he is. If Lambert can't make 125 now then they redshirt him last year? Why have your best wrestler on the bench to start the 2nd string true frosh?[/quote

My belief is that Lambert will make 125 this year and he needed to red shirt last year. Unless he has really grown in the last few months he isn't big enough to wrestle 133. I've heard that Johnson has gotten bigger and it will be between him and Jensen for the spot at Hwt. 197 could easily be Kolb.

^^If there is any Campbell Univ wrestling insider reading this string, I very much would like help on the Campbell starting lineup projection for 2014. Thank you and here is my GUESS-

125 Incoming frosh twins from PA Drew and Tyler Walker.

133 Tanner Bidelspach (Sr/PA).

141 Michael Dahlstrom (So/PA) with Jordan Tolbert (Jr/MD) helping out. Assume incoming frosh Dyon Santiago (2X NM champ) might RS?

149 Could be soph Cory Wagner. Is Duke-transfer Brent Jorge still on the team and aiming to compete fifth year?

157 Open? (Rex at Ariz State).

165 Paul Duggan (Jr/NC).

174 Cody Ryba (So/OH) and Taylor McGriffin (So/IL)?

184 James Cook (Jr/CA).

197 Jacob Laden (Clackamas CC transfer).

285 Joe Nolan (Jr/NJ).

Would appreciate help on this – I am not a Campbell insider.

This is just a guess on the Michigan State line up for this year. There should be some battles in the room at the lower weights. I believe most of the upper weights are set. This is also assuming that they redshirt Nick Trimble and Jordan Wohlfert. Both started last year as true freshmen.

125 - Garth Yenter

133 - Brandon Fifield

141 - Brian Gibbs

149 - Roger Wildmo

157 - Ryan Watts

165 - Bobby Nash

174 - Nick Kaczanowski

184 - John Rizquallah

197 - Luke Jones

285 - Mike McClure

You also have Brennan Lyon and Hermilo Esquivel at 125. Terry Turner and 133, Esquivel could also slide in here. Once again, just a guess.

This is just a guess on the Michigan State line up for this year. There should be some battles in the room at the lower weights. I believe most of the upper weights are set. This is also assuming that they redshirt Nick Trimble and Jordan Wohlfert. Both started last year as true freshmen.

125 - Garth Yenter

133 - Brandon Fifield

141 - Brian Gibbs

149 - Roger Wildmo

157 - Ryan Watts

165 - Bobby Nash

174 - Nick Kaczanowski

184 - John Rizquallah

197 - Luke Jones

285 - Mike McClure

You also have Brennan Lyon and Hermilo Esquivel at 125. Terry Turner and 133, Esquivel could also slide in here. Once again, just a guess.

Josh Heinzer ?? Is he still on the team? No new roster posted yet.

Central Michigan's possible lineup

125 Corey Keener (FR)

133 Joe Roth (SR)

141 Zach Horan (SO)

149 Scott Mattingly (SR)

157 Lucas Smith (SO)

165 Nick Becker (FR)/Hunter Rollins (FR)

174 Mike Ottinger (JR)

184 Craig Kelliher (SR)

197 Dalton Ishmael (FR)

285 Mike Murray (SR)

update 10/10: looks like Roth is moving on up to 133 this year.

Ohio State Buckeyes

125- Nick Roberts - NQ

133- Johnni DiJulius - AA

141- Logan Stieber - NC

149- Ian Paddock - AA

157- Derek Garcia (He's still on roster...) - AA

165- Joshua Demas - AA

174- Mark Martin - AA

184- Kenny Courts - AA

197- Nick Heflin - AA

HWT- Nick Tavanello - NQ

125 Joe Roth (SR)

133 Tyler Keselring (JR)

141 Zach Horan (SO)

149 Scott Mattingly (SR)

157 Lucas Smith (SO)

174 Mike Ottinger (JR)

184 Craig Kelliher (SR)

197 Dalton Ishmael (FR)

285 Mike Murray (SR)

Probably good for me, being a UNI fan, but it looks like a little rebuilding is going on this year, right?

I'm not sold on it, but, apparently, UNI is forecasted to win the MAC this year.

125 Joe Roth (SR)

133 Tyler Keselring (JR)

141 Zach Horan (SO)

149 Scott Mattingly (SR)

157 Lucas Smith (SO)

174 Mike Ottinger (JR)

184 Craig Kelliher (SR)

197 Dalton Ishmael (FR)

285 Mike Murray (SR)

The MAC should be nicely competitive. UNI looks solid. CMU is always game. Missouri is probably the most solid top-to-bottom program in the conference. Kent State returns Ian Miller and Tyler Small from redshirt and adds Edinboro transfer Michael DePalma. The Ohio Bobcats are also not too far away with young NCAA qualifiers in Kevon Powell and Spartak Chino joining Cody Walters, Jeremy Johnson, and Phil Wellington. Old Dominion joins the conference this year. It should be an interesting race.

Probably good for me, being a UNI fan, but it looks like a little rebuilding is going on this year, right?

I'm not sold on it, but, apparently, UNI is forecasted to win the MAC this year.