Sign in to follow this  
jstock

More men's classes cut for Rio

Cutting men's weights for Rio.

http://awn.theopenmat.com/2013/08/olymp ... e-in-2016/

MOSCOW – Women’s wrestling will have two extra medal classes at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, while two men’s events from the London Olympics program have been dropped.

The International Olympic Committee says one weight category in both men’s freestyle and Greco-Roman will be transferred to women’s freestyle.

The switch creates six weight classes in all three disciplines at Rio.

Wrestling’s governing body, FILA, proposed the changes to create more equality as it seeks to retain Olympic status for the 2020 Summer Games.

The IOC says its board also approved two changes in sailing: mixed multihull will replace men’s keelboat in Rio and women’s skiff replaces women’s match racing.

The IOC allowed the changes because they won’t increase the number of athletes competing.

Rio organizers have a quota of about 10,800 athletes.

Looking forward to having wrestling reinstated for 2020, with only five weight classes each for Men's and Women's Freestyle and no Greco. (We will be Tae Kwon Do, eventually, with only four weight classes and HWT beginning at 181 lbs.)

I know being a part of the Olympic movement is important for funding of the sport around the world (not so much here). But, when is enough is enough?

Despite all of the emergency meetings, the rules still look much the same, and FILA is still primarily concerned with appeasing the IOC. At some point, our international leaders have to decide how they want our sport to operate / be presented regardless of the IOC, and be prepared to walk away if the IOC decides it's not good enough for them.

Wow, this is crazy. If they want equity then they need to look at the amount of female wrestlers compared to the amount of male wrestlers.

Fila proposed this!?! I suppose I should not be surprised at anything Fila does. I have lost what little faith in Fila that I had. Obviously, the changes in personnel has done nothing. Screw you Fila, for driving yet another nail into our coffin. The IOC pushes you, and of course you break like the no good, do not give a s##% about wrestling, money loving, pansies that you are! This makes me want to puke.

wouldnt 9 and 9 or even 8 and 8 be better than 6, 6 and 6?

i dont want to see greco-roman taken off the olympic slate but it seems like the best of 2 undesirable alternatives.

Wrestling is cannibalizing itself to meet the dual mandates of increasing opportunities for female wrestlers without increasing the overall number of athletes. I honestly think that dropping Greco from the Olympics in order to get the number of Freestyle weight classes back to a reasonable number is the only viable solution. Greco-Roman wouldn't disappear from National and World Championships, just from the Olympic program.

I'd rather we have one style that is fully supported and viable than two styles that are totally neutered.

i dont want to see greco-roman taken off the olympic slate but it seems like the best of 2 undesirable alternatives.

Wrestling is cannibalizing itself to meet the dual mandates of increasing opportunities for female wrestlers without increasing the overall number of athletes. I honestly think that dropping Greco from the Olympics in order to get the number of Freestyle weight classes back to a reasonable number is the only viable solution. Greco-Roman wouldn't disappear from National and World Championships, just from the Olympic program.

I'd rather we have one style that is fully supported and viable than two styles that are totally neutered.

"Wrestling’s governing body, FILA, proposed the changes..."

I don't want to hear anymore crap about how we should mold folkstyle to in anyway emulate the current and/or ever changing international rules.

I think that statement is just a whole bunch of PR face saving. FILA gets to look proactive, IOC doesn't have to look like the sanctimonious bully it is.

Speak of the devil...

Hey, guess what wrestling fans? We're adding two women's weight classes!!! What great news!!!

I am seriously appalled by the headline on TheMat.com. This is serious, sad news for our sport and they spin it as an addition of weight classes.

I have nothing against women's wrestling and would like to see them have a full compliment of weight classes as well. But to act like this is somehow good news shows what depths we have sunk to.

Love to hear "Stan" weigh-in on this one...

Adding WGR would solve the two men's styles v one women's.

Can't happen because of the arbitrary limit to the total Olympic numbers allowed.

Lets get the F out and run wrestling for wrestling. The olympic$ are no longer a world wide athletic event, but are a money making business venture with athletic garnishments. I'd bet, although it wouldn't benefit from the enormous business hype machine, there would be a market for true athletic games.

We're probably looking at 25 pound gaps, on average, on the men's side.

Anyone else find it ironic the UFC can support 8 men's weight classes with 10-15 pound breaks?

Also, to echo tirapell, I'm all for the growth of women's wrestling. 6 weight classes for women sounds about right. Funny how no one is mentioning the elimination of the 7th weight class on their side, particularly how importantly the rest of the world looks at the world championships.

"Stan" won't comment on this. And I'm waiting to see if they post this "headline" on the FILA official Facebook page.

THE ONLY WAY I WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT FILA AFTER THIS IS:

They stop kowtowing to some "invisible" rule and go to 10 weight classes in the World Championships years. And i'm sick of hearing it can't be done... THEY DO IT FOR WOMEN'S WRESTLING AS IT IS.

I am a huge Greco-lover. But it needs to be cut. Olympics wants equality? Having two mens styles and one women's aint it. Cut greco, eliminate the two bronzes, and lets get 10 and 10 in FS.

So simple a caveman could do it. F'n A, people!

Stan D is a fila stooge and no longer represents the best interests of wrestling at large. The best that wrestling can do now is to abandon fila with the exception of olympic years and form a new governing body. If the US, Russia, Iran, and some other Republics band together, perhaps the rest will follow suit.

eliminate the two bronzes, and lets get 10 and 10 in FS.

It's number of athletes that the IOC cares about, not number of medals. eliminating the two bronzes wouldn't help at all.

Olympic and world basketball will now be 3 on 3!

Relay teams will now be 3 members in track and swimming! Also dropping the shortest, longest, and a couple intermediate distances!

Competitors only allowed to enter one event/wt class!

Frog jumping to replace equestrian.

Modern pentathlon (display of war skills) changed to video game console operated Drone competition.

Figure a way to double the number of contestants by creating more women's gymnastic events/exhibitions! And triple the up close and personal pieces on them!

Stan D is a fila stooge and no longer represents the best interests of wrestling at large. The best that wrestling can do now is to abandon fila with the exception of olympic years and form a new governing body. If the US, Russia, Iran, and some other Republics band together, perhaps the rest will follow suit.

Can't.

IOC requires that the rules of wrestling be the same in off years as in the Olympics.

Jaroslav Hasek wrote:

i dont want to se...

I agree