Sign in to follow this  
Roadkill

Do we need the Olympics?

I dont have any idea on the finances that Fila provides but there are plenty of sports where the Olympics are an afterthought. I realize in Soccer the World Cup has been around for ever(but Olympic soccer is a joke, and plenty of other sports the Olympics are not that big a deal) but if Wrestling made the World Championships the biggest event in the sport--could wrestling pull it off?

What worries me, like most of us fans-down to six weights in the next Olympics, and I dont see any way more weights are added in the future--if anything it will be reduced. The World Championships could have 10 Freestyle weights. As I said, not sure about the finances etc etc, just a very frustrated fan!!!

That's a good question.

The Olympic Training Center and Regional Training Sites get USOC money. Without the Olympics, I assume that money disappears. That will make it much more difficult for college grads to train in freestyle, Greco, and women's wrestling. For the Olympic styles of wrestling, losing the Olympics seems to be a disaster.

At the college level, it's tough to tell how losing the Olympics will play out. The programs with Regional Training Sites can survive without USOC money. But they will have fewer post-collegiate wrestlers training with them. It's possible that the loss of Olympic wrestling makes wrestling seem less prestigious, but the rise of MMA picks up some of the slack.

At the high school level, who knows.

I dont have any idea on the finances that Fila provides but there are plenty of sports where the Olympics are an afterthought. I realize in Soccer the World Cup has been around for ever(but Olympic soccer is a joke, and plenty of other sports the Olympics are not that big a deal) but if Wrestling made the World Championships the biggest event in the sport--could wrestling pull it off?

What worries me, like most of us fans-down to six weights in the next Olympics, and I dont see any way more weights are added in the future--if anything it will be reduced. The World Championships could have 10 Freestyle weights. As I said, not sure about the finances etc etc, just a very frustrated fan!!!

I'd say we should go to 12-12-12 in non-Olympic years, and combine two weight classes into one in each for the Olympics. That's what taekwondo does.

I think that reducing our classes to six, would contradict the very principles of the sport of wrestlings...where boys and girls can have the chance to compete against others their size. Likewise for men and women. I am not sure of the financial workings, but we need to fight to keep wrestling in the Olympics for a time in order to strengthen the popularity of high school and collegiate wrestling. I think the new scoring system is a step in the right direction however, I believe going to six weight classes is a step in the wrong direction and we need resist the decision to reduce weight classes in order to make wrestling possibly more attractive to the IOC and if it means being left out of the Olympics so be it. We will just have to put more emphasis in the World Championships. Maybe we can use our friends in the entertainment industry to get the World Championships coverage and exposure. It's not perfect, but we need to take a stand.

That's a good question.

The Olympic Training Center and Regional Training Sites get federal money. Without the Olympics, I assume that money disappears. That will make it much more difficult for college grads to train in freestyle, Greco, and women's wrestling. For the Olympic styles of wrestling, losing the Olympics seems to be a disaster.

At the college level, it's tough to tell how losing the Olympics will play out. The programs with Regional Training Sites can survive without federal money. But they will have fewer post-collegiate wrestlers training with them. It's possible that the loss of Olympic wrestling makes wrestling seem less prestigious, but the rise of MMA picks up some of the slack.

Actually, The Olympic Training Center, Regional Training Sites, and USAW itself receive no federal money. Unlike most countries worldwide, in our great country the Olympic Movement (National Governing Bodies along with the USOC itself) receives no money from Uncle Sam. There used to be a federal scholarship (Stupak) that was given to athletes training at one of the Olympic Training Centers, but that was cut by the Obama administration. This money was vital to the USOEC and OTC in that it supported athletes continuing their education while training/competing. This lack of government funding is why it makes it so difficult for our country to have the necessary amount of wrestlers training/competing at the senior level. Club funding, small stipends and small bonus $ from USAW are the only funding that is available. In strong wrestling countries such as RUS, AZE, and European countries, the national teams and training centers are supported partially or fully by their governments. Our government is far too dysfunctional and corrupt to consider funding sports programs. American college programs should provide us with plenty of top notch wrestlers/asst. coaches that are ready to compete at the world level, however those wrestlers are spending the majority of their time training in folkstyle and not FS/GR

apply all of the resources generated into the fight to save olympic wrestling into saving wrestling and we could have an event that would make us forget about the games.

it's a simple matter of perception. the cry here is "we have to keep olympic wrestling" everyone jumps on board "if the olympics aren't an option than we're doomed." what's the cry if were out?

are the powers that be going to lay down and quit if we're out? it seems that way. people are making this a do or die fight which means we die without the games.

it's sad. wrestling is not about the olympics. it's about wrestling.

if you think wrestling dies without the olympics you're not a fighter. you're probably someone who likes the trophy more than the fight to get it.

Agree Gutfirst---I dont think there is any correlation between Olympic Wrestling and College or High School wrestling. I hear people saying if Olympic wrestling is done, then College Wrestling will suffer---Look at Gymnastics--one of the most popular Olympic sports-attendance and TV ratings and College Gymnastics are decimated--I think there are only 17 Mens Programs(combined D-1 and 2) and about 70 combined womens programs. Colleges are not adding Gymnastics because it is a popular Olympic sport--they were dropping programs in Gymnastics heydey. Softball was only in the Olympics a couple times--and now that it is gone--dont think it has hurt softball.

World Championships--build it up, more weight classes and make that the Premier Wrestling event.

^^I would guess that, if Olympic wrestling gets dropped, that will offer some Div I AD's and/or Div I athletic decision-makers an excuse to drop their Div I programs. If Olympic wrestling is dropped, it sure ain't goning to help Div I wrestling and women's college wrestling programs.

^^I would guess that, if Olympic wrestling gets dropped, that will offer some Div I AD's and/or Div I athletic decision-makers an excuse to drop their Div I programs. If Olympic wrestling is dropped, it sure ain't goning to help Div I wrestling and women's college wrestling programs.

Well if the Olympics is so important to college wrestling then I guess that the ADs can follow suit and drop the number of weight classes to 6 also. Can save them $$$$$$.

Agree Stove, it wont help D-1 wrestling if it is dropped, just not sure how many AD's would all of sudden drop wrestling because it is not in the Olympics(not sure I want to find out). Just looking at other "Olympic" sports that are a shell of their former self--it has not helped them on the Collegiate level--I mentioned Gymnastics, also look how many track programs have been dropped. I think if a school is going to drop any type of program--not so sure they say "well it is in the olympics so lets not drop it" It is a tuff situation for our great sport.

Well said gutfirst and I totally agree.

Gymnastics is a great example. Gymnastics is one of the most popular Olympic sports but hasn't seemed to help its fate here in the US at the collegiate level.

If there are only going to be 6 weight classes of freestyle wrestling I say f the Olympics.

We need to scrap FILA and get all of the major players together to start a wrestling world championship each year with 10 weights per style.

Actually, The Olympic Training Center, Regional Training Sites, and USAW itself receive no federal money. Unlike most countries worldwide, in our great country the Olympic Movement (National Governing Bodies along with the USOC itself) receives no money from Uncle Sam. There used to be a federal scholarship (Stupak) that was given to athletes training at one of the Olympic Training Centers, but that was cut by the Obama administration. This money was vital to the USOEC and OTC in that it supported athletes continuing their education while training/competing. This lack of government funding is why it makes it so difficult for our country to have the necessary amount of wrestlers training/competing at the senior level. Club funding, small stipends and small bonus $ from USAW are the only funding that is available. In strong wrestling countries such as RUS, AZE, and European countries, the national teams and training centers are supported partially or fully by their governments. Our government is far too dysfunctional and corrupt to consider funding sports programs. American college programs should provide us with plenty of top notch wrestlers/asst. coaches that are ready to compete at the world level, however those wrestlers are spending the majority of their time training in folkstyle and not FS/GR

Thank you for the correction. I meant USOC money, not federal money.

That's a good question.

The Olympic Training Center and Regional Training Sites get federal money. Without the Olympics, I assume that money disappears. That will make it much more difficult for college grads to train in freestyle, Greco, and women's wrestling. For the Olympic styles of wrestling, losing the Olympics seems to be a disaster.

At the college level, it's tough to tell how losing the Olympics will play out. The programs with Regional Training Sites can survive without federal money. But they will have fewer post-collegiate wrestlers training with them. It's possible that the loss of Olympic wrestling makes wrestling seem less prestigious, but the rise of MMA picks up some of the slack.

I don't respond to much, but this is arguably the best username on the forum. See - wrestlers can be pretty nerdy. :D