Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Olympic boxing?

Those are disciplines under one core sport heading, and many athletes competing in multiple events.

Yet you can still earn Gold medals in each "discipline" that are theoretically just as good as JB's Gold. Is Michael Phelps a better athlete than JB because he earned... what 22 Gold Medals to JB's 1? I think not.

Isn't necessarily germane to the point. Phelps is one athlete, the IOC isn't counting events as much as they're counting athletes. Usain Bolt could win 50 golds and he still only impacts the athlete cap by one. The IOC is unlikely to cut high profile, high selling sports like T&F and swimming (race events, not the synchro stuff)

Strokes and races don't impact the IOC as much as we think it should.

Has any other sport or "core" had their male participating events cut by 40% to accommodate adding women's events in the same core?

When women's weightlifting was added in 2000, the men's division went from 10 to 8 weight divisions; women have 7 divisions. (Men have had 10 divisions since 1980. In the 1950s & 60s they had 7 divisions, 9 in 1972 & 1976)

Judo. When women's judo was first included in the Olympics back in 1992, men's judo didn't forfeit any weight divisions, they had 7 divisions in 1988 and 7 in 1992. And women's judo was able to add 7 divisions in 1992.

Both genders still have 7 divisions. (Men's Judo did have 8 divisions in 1980,84, up from 6 in 1972, 76)

Fencing. Through the 1992 games men's fencing had 6 events and women only had 2. Since then women's fencing has increased to 5 events yet men's fencing only decreased to 5 events.

Men's boxing only lost one weight division when women's boxing was introduced. 10 vs 3. And no additional women's divisions in 2016.

Sailing has an uneven number of events & participates per gender; 6 for men, 4 for women. Prior to 2012, each gender had the same number of events & there were mixed gender events. So, sailing actually was allowed to increase the men's events and cut back the women's events. Sailing did decrease their number of overall events, 11 to 10 but they are allowed gender disparity in number of events and participants.

Canoeing & Kayaking also have more men's than womens' events & participants; 11 to 5 events. Previous Olympic years had 12 for men & 4 for women, so the men did lose one event for women to gain one. They were also allowed a huge increase in number of participants, in 2008 they only had 128 and then in 2012 they had 380 (I did find the participation numbers on wikipedia, so they could be wrong).

Aquatics core has more women's events than men's; women get 2 synchronized swimming events, duo & team, and men have no counter event of any kind, no additional races nor diving events.

It seems that the IOC wants equal or near equal events (or divisions) for each gender in every core sport event yet there are multiple cases in which the men's divisions are cut back as much to make room for women and there are cases in which other core sports clearly have more divisions/events & participation slots for men.

Prior to 1972 wrestling had 8 divisions for each men's style. So, why like almost every other sport that has added women's division isn't wrestling allowed to go back to that number?

Why is it wrestling that is being cut up and targeted by the IOC since 1996? Outside of the dropping of baseball & softball no other sport has been going through what wrestling has.

Boxing is allowed 10 men's divisions while only having 3 women's division and at least for the 2016 games there are no plans to add women's divisions.

Also, why does wrestling have such a low weight limit for the heavyweight division? Judo, boxing & Taekwondo all have an unlimited division. I'm not saying wrestling should also but why is heavyweight capped at 120kg/264lbs? How was that limit determined?

I'm also mildly surprised that the IOC or someone hasn't been pushing for the men competitors to compete in both freestyle & greco roman in order to cut down on the overall number of participates. Or some other half baked thing like that. (well besides the IOC moving to cut the sport completely)

Boxing is allowed 10 men's divisions while only having 3 women's division and at least for the 2016 games there are no plans to add women's divisions.

Also, why does wrestling have such a low weight limit for the heavyweight division? Judo, boxing & Taekwondo all have an unlimited division. I'm not saying wrestling should also but why is heavyweight capped at 120kg/264lbs? How was that limit determined?

I'm also mildly surprised that the IOC or someone hasn't been pushing for the men competitors to compete in both freestyle & greco roman in order to cut down on the overall number of participates. Or some other half baked thing like that. (well besides the IOC moving to cut the sport completely)

It went from 130kg to 120kg after the 2000 games. The supposed reason was because the IOC or FILA or both didn't want gigantic fatasses being trotted out there and making wrestling look like any fat guy could hop up off the couch and do it. Something about how it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing to watch two guys who were near 300 pounds pawing at one another for 6 or 7 minutes. I felt that was aimed a little at Rulon who was always a big guy and they figured they'd change the weight. When it first got announced and I told my coach about it he said that Rulon's career was over because he wouldn't be able to make 120.

It went from 130kg to 120kg after the 2000 games. The supposed reason was because the IOC or FILA or both didn't want gigantic fatasses being trotted out there and making wrestling look like any fat guy could hop up off the couch and do it. Something about how it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing to watch two guys who were near 300 pounds pawing at one another for 6 or 7 minutes. I felt that was aimed a little at Rulon who was always a big guy and they figured they'd change the weight. When it first got announced and I told my coach about it he said that Rulon's career was over because he wouldn't be able to make 120.

I thought that having "fat" guys in the heavyweight division might have been the reason.

Still doesn't make sense why other weight based sports don't have any limit for their heaviest division. Even for women the judo, taekwondo & weightlifting heaviest divisions don't have a weight limit.

I've seen several fat guys in judo's unlimited division, fatties or not there are competitors over 300lbs. Also weightlifting's unlimited division tends to have "fat" guys, especially when compared to the physiques of the lower weight divisions.

Again, wrestling seems to be targeted and singled out.