Sign in to follow this  
RED

Who is the moderator of this site?

FILA database lists the first women's world championship in 1986. I do understand the first real recognized event was in 1989, so instead of 27, we're down to 24 Worlds (counting this year)

Discussion might have taken place, but weights were cut prior to women's Olympic inclusion. And for the record, I don't doubt your expertise on this subject.

2012: 7-7-4

2008: 7-7-4

2004: 7-7-4

2000: 8-8

1996: 10-10

FILA database lists the first women's world championship in 1986. I do understand the first real recognized event was in 1989, so instead of 27, we're down to 24 Worlds (counting this year)

Discussion might have taken place, but weights were cut prior to women's Olympic inclusion.

Jason, as I recall, in 2000 the IOC wanted to cut wrestling weights, but it was with an eye for the women's intro. That may or may not be the case, I could be making up revisionist history. But the fact remains that the IOC has had it out for wrestling since 2000. That marks the point where all the stupid rules started. I know that the pool system started prior but that was for the 2000 Olympics. The IOC has had it in for wrestling since at least 1999 when I first remember the pool system happening when I went to the Pan Am Games in Winnipeg. You might say the IOC has nothing to do with it but FILA has never met an IOC mandate that they did not happily comply with.

I would also like to add to your chart as you forgot 2016. That gives the proper picture here.

2016: 6-6-6

My questions are thus:

1. Why does the IOC want to limit the medals it gives?

2. Why does it do this by mandating fewer weight classes?

3. Why can't FILA run the WC's as they want to (more weight classes etc) regardless of IOC issues and even in the Olympic year?

I don't understand these issues and certainly the 3rd. I wish FILA would just do it for mens FS and GR as they have in the past for womens FS and GR with regard to World Championships.

mspart

I don't have the answers regarding the cuts in weights, but there were cuts prior to the addition of women's wrestling to the program. That point may be completely arguable and I could be wrong, since I wasn't ingrained in the sport internationally back then.

As far as the other questions.

1. Don't know - IOC not transparent

2. Don't know - IOC not transparent

3. Good freakin' question. I support this concept.

To add to Question #3 by mspart. If Fila did this, I think it could have a pretty positive affect on wrestling as a whole, especially during the Olympic years. Think about what happens in Women's freestyle during Olympic years with the lower number of weight classes. You have more exciting and unpredictable weights when you have World Champions/Medalists moving down or up weights and making more stacked weight classes. The same could happen with mens free and greco. It does suck that the lower number of weight classes, does leave some of the world's best at home but the ones who will be competing at the Olympics would have definitely earned their way there. Just think of how much more beastly Russian nationals would be then?

Eliminate the extra bronze and you can go 8-8-6.

The Games/IOC won't entertain anything less than the same amount of weights for women's wrestling. The 8-8-6 won't see the light of day because no one's going to present it because 7-7-6 was already shot down.

Eliminate the extra bronze and you can go 8-8-6.

The Games/IOC won't entertain anything less than the same amount of weights for women's wrestling. The 8-8-6 won't see the light of day because no one's going to present it because 7-7-6 was already shot down.

In the IOC's eyes, it's not 6-6-6, but rather 12-6. Below is what I posted in another thread:

Part of the problem is that we have two styles of men's wrestling. From an outsider's perspective, which happens to the the IOC's perspective, that is incomprehensible. From the IOC's standpoint, wrestling used to have 14 men's weight classes, and 4 women's weight classes. That means women's weight classes were 22% of the total.

How does that stand up to other weight-class-based Olympic sports?

* Judo has 7 men's weight classes, and 7 women's weight classes. (50%)

* Taekwondo has 4 men's weight classes, and 4 women's weight classes. (50%)

* Weight lifting has 8 men's weight classes, and 7 women's weight classes. (47%)

* Boxing has 10 men's weight classes, and 3 women's weight classes. (23%)

As you can see, until a few days ago, wrestling had the worst gender balance of all weight-class-based Olympic sports.

With the recent change, wrestling made it so women's weight classes were 33% of the total. That makes it more equitable than boxing, but it still trails Judo, Taekwondo, and Weight lifting by a significant margin.

Just to clear a couple things up for you RED before I move on with the discussion. Women are still not equally represented in the olympics. They are at 33%. Second, just because one person agrees with you on these boards does not mean that you are validated. You are in the minority. I have no problem with you voicing your opinion on the subject I would just ask that you be respectful when doing so. While I do disagree with your views and outlook on the situation and I personally find it disgusting that people would think of our women athletes in this way I am also a realist and understand it doesnt really matter what I say to you. And feel free tom come at me all you want. It is no sweat off my back. Again all I ask for is respect. I imaging we can all agree on this point.

Having said that I am going to address a couple things that have been mentioned. First, I dont think anyone on here defending women is trying to "save face" or be politically correct. God forbid some people have morals and stick up for them. I know it might sound crazy but that is just the world we live in. Gender equity is an important topic and our wrestlers should be supported regardless of gender! They all step on the mat representing our country and to have anyone downgrade them because of sex is flat out appalling. Let me ask you all would you rather have 6-6-6 or 0-0-0? because that is what would have happened had this change not been made. Believe me I disagree with some of FILA's decisions just like the rest of you, but I will support our sport and our athletes to the end. We just all have to continue to support our sport and keep trying to push forward. This Olympic fight is coming to a head. Once we get back in then we can really work on making necessary progress with the IOC.

Richard, let's get one thing clear, wrestling is dead in the water. We are not coming back in 2020 no matter what online petition is signed or what is said in September. fila is our own worst enemy and screwed the pooch big time. The constant rule changes and format fusterclucking did us no favors. It is time to splinter as far away from fila as possible and hold our own world tourneys. It is time that wrestling takes some control of their own destiny instead of catering to the whims of the ioc.

The Olympic fight ended for me once we had to cut weights to even be considered for inclusion. The IOC could care less about wrestling and for now on I could care less about the Olympics. I love wrestling not the pageantry that has become the Olympic games.

Discussion might have taken place, but weights were cut prior to women's Olympic inclusion. And for the record, I don't doubt your expertise on this subject.

i think i remember women's freestyle a test event at the olympics prior to inclusion? or possibly it was a discussion.

I almost hate to propose this because it goes against tradition but what if we just dropped Greco altogether? To be honest, the last exciting Greco match I remember watching is Paulson/Hall and that was simply because it lasted longer than any other I have ever seen, in any style. If we dropped Greco then we could argue that the two genders are equal and then fight for more weight classes, in each gender for that matter. Thoughts?

Just to clear a couple things up for you RED before I move on with the discussion. Women are still not equally represented in the olympics. They are at 33%. Second, just because one person agrees with you on these boards does not mean that you are validated. You are in the minority. I have no problem with you voicing your opinion on the subject I would just ask that you be respectful when doing so. While I do disagree with your views and outlook on the situation and I personally find it disgusting that people would think of our women athletes in this way I am also a realist and understand it doesnt really matter what I say to you. And feel free tom come at me all you want. It is no sweat off my back. Again all I ask for is respect. I imaging we can all agree on this point.

Having said that I am going to address a couple things that have been mentioned. First, I dont think anyone on here defending women is trying to "save face" or be politically correct. God forbid some people have morals and stick up for them. I know it might sound crazy but that is just the world we live in. Gender equity is an important topic and our wrestlers should be supported regardless of gender! They all step on the mat representing our country and to have anyone downgrade them because of sex is flat out appalling. Let me ask you all would you rather have 6-6-6 or 0-0-0? because that is what would have happened had this change not been made. Believe me I disagree with some of FILA's decisions just like the rest of you, but I will support our sport and our athletes to the end. We just all have to continue to support our sport and keep trying to push forward. This Olympic fight is coming to a head. Once we get back in then we can really work on making necessary progress with the IOC.

I am happy that you've come to realize that I've got a right to an opinion that is different than your own. The one comment you made that has me scratching my head was that you find it "disgusting that people would think of our women athletes in that way?" What exactly did I state that would qualify as disgusting? Strong, strong word. I simply do not believe women should wrestle. Do I harbor a grudge against the athletes themselves? Absolutely not. I'm not hear to start fights with fellow board members, just wanted to share an opinion. What fired me up was the deleting of posts that were deleted simply because they did not conform with your personal opinion. Can you admit you were wrong?

I am happy that you've come to realize that I've got a right to an opinion that is different than your own. The one comment you made that has me scratching my head was that you find it "disgusting that people would think of our women athletes in that way?" What exactly did I state that would qualify as disgusting? Strong, strong word. I simply do not believe women should wrestle. Do I harbor a grudge against the athletes themselves? Absolutely not. I'm not hear to start fights with fellow board members, just wanted to share an opinion. What fired me up was the deleting of posts that were deleted simply because they did not conform with your personal opinion. Can you admit you were wrong?

How do you feel about women being allowed to run in the Olympics further than the pre 1972 800 meters? Should they cover themselves? Only play with dolls and stay kitchens?

Jpizar83,

Because we shouldn't be gauging the validity of our sport by how exciting it is in the eyes of the fans. That's a very slippery slope. To the average football fan all wrestling may look relatively unexciting. Our sport is about the struggle which isn't always pretty. GR requires a different skill set which makes it unique. It's been around since the very first olympics. GR is not the problem FILA IS!!! If you can't sell a sport with the history of wrestling for inclusion into the olympics you are a complete imbecile.

How do you feel about women being allowed to run in the Olympics further than the pre 1972 800 meters? Should they cover themselves? Only play with dolls and stay kitchens?

It is very simple. I don't think girls should fight. To me, wrestling has always been about fighting. If you think girls should fight, God bless, but I don't understand for the life of me how you cannot understand another taking the position that girls shouldn't fight. Very simple stuff. If you believe otherwise, so be it.

I agree, with the fact that the IOC has some sort of idea or vision of wrestling, which I believe is taking wrestling off course. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the old rules we just changed from was put in place some time ago to make wrestling more spectator friendly. But I believe caused just the opposite effect. Now for some reason they want to chop us down to six weight classes. I am at a loss why we have to go through all this. If the problem is not enough weight classes for women, well give them more weight classes. Why should it matter, isn't this about fair competition. I do believe though, that the Men should not suffer and lose weight classes because the IOC wants more women in wrestling. If they want more, okay give them more. You know in some sports at the Olympics there are several representatives in a single event from the same country, and I don't see any red flags being raised over that. Yet in wrestling this is an issue. Winning a World level medal is tough enough, shoot wrestling itself is tough enough, and a guy who wants to wrestle shouldn't mean he has to give up a ton of weight to his opponent or drop a ton of weight, and possibly injure himself by dropping down into one of these new weight classes. I believe that seven weight classes is at the barest of minimums as it is.