Sign in to follow this  
StanDziedzic

Turkish Medalist Banned for Racist Tweets

"Around the Rings reports":

"A Turkish wrestler who medaled in London is facing a ban from competition after racist remarks on Twitter.

International wrestling governing body FILA gave Riza Kayaalp a six-month ban, according to The Times of India, for remarks made online against Armenians and Greeks in late June."

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/ ... x?id=44164

Wow, this is harsh for a tweet. Does this mean Iran will be banned from ever participating outside their own country, because you know they have done and will do more than this Turk did. A question I have is, was there a FILA statement clearly warning any wrestler the penalty for such behavior?

i understand the use of "racist" for lack of a better term, but the context in america for racist remarks is a lot different than in the eastern mediterranean. turks, greeks and armenians are all the same "race" as the term is understand in the US.

insensitive and ethnically inflammatory would probably be more appropriate for the tweets.

i'm also not defending the tweets or trying to offer an excuse. the history of those cultures is as fraught and complicated as race relations in the US are. just merely pointing out what i think is a significant distinction.

As an ethnic Armenian, I find this guy's comments offensive, seeing how the Turks massacred 1.5 million Armenians during the Ottoman genocide. Calling someone else a "dog" when this inhuman behavior is in your country's history is entirely hypcritical.

As an ethnic Armenian, I find this guy's comments offensive, seeing how the Turks massacred 1.5 million Armenians during the Ottoman genocide. Calling someone else a "dog" when this inhuman behavior is in your country's history is entirely hypcritical.

Technically the Turks don't believe that actually happened. They acknowledge some Armenians died during the relocation process but are quick to deny a genocide happened. So while most of the rest of the world believes it, the Turks still don't and likely have been brought up to believe that. It'd be like if Germany told everyone the holocaust never happened and it was institutionalized, instead they just try to pretend it never did.

Technically the Turks don't believe that actually happened. They acknowledge some Armenians died during the relocation process but are quick to deny a genocide happened. So while most of the rest of the world believes it, the Turks still don't and likely have been brought up to believe that. It'd be like if Germany told everyone the holocaust never happened and it was institutionalized, instead they just try to pretend it never did.

Trip, the Turks have a law called Article 301 that makes it illegal to mention the Armenian Genocide. Their Nobel Laureate, Orhan Pamuk, was actually jailed for openly telling the truth about the genocide. Both the Americans and Germans present during the genocide kept extensive records of what they saw, as well as the Ottoman government itself. Denying a genocide took place is, like you said, denying that the Holocaust ever occurred. Unreal.

I have been married to a Turk for 20 years. And I can vouch they will never admit that this ever happened. Plus they will never like the Greeks, over some rocks in the Aegean Sea that was given to Greece at the end of WW I.

You shouldn't say nasty stuff about large groups of people

but since when is Armenian a race?

that makes no sense

I believe an Armenoid is a sub race of caucasian. My coach was Armenian and I have wrestled against and with hundreds of them. You can definitely tell Armenoids when you see them if you are used to their facial features.

I am not any kind of anthropology major, but you get used to these things when you train and travel to so many different countries. It is kind of like Asians; Korean, Chinese, and Japanese are all Asian but you can easily distinguish each sub race by features.

I have been married to a Turk for 20 years. And I can vouch they will never admit that this ever happened. Plus they will never like the Greeks, over some rocks in the Aegean Sea that was given to Greece at the end of WW I.

Also over the whole attempting to conquer Northern Cyprus too, which is a state that only Turkey recognizes and nobody else. I think the UN is still trying to sort it out and may or may not still have a peacekeeping mission there over 50 years after the whole thing started. That area of the world is funny politically because even if the Greeks all hate one another and will argue about stupid domestic things, they can still agree they hate Turkey and would rather eat dirt than give them a square foot of territory they feel is Greek. Doesn't matter why they would give it to them, just consider that option off the table for good. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more enclaves and exclaves there, but it'd probably mean a pointless war that is for pride more than anything meaningful.