Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Problem with wrestling? Revamp/Replace USAW

I think we, the USA got complacent. If you look at our successes internationally, for a period of time when the Soviets were at their strongest, it raised the level of competition. The Japanese, Koreans, Romanians and others were no pushover at all. I think that part of the reason we've been in a slump since 1996 is because we just kind of assume that we (The USA) is going to be good at wrestling because we've supposedly always been good and managed to win medals in the Olympics. We see the successes like Rulon, Cejudo, Slay, Sanderson, Burroughs, Varner and don't really think that we should worry about USA wrestling. I'm speaking from more of a general observer/casual fan perspective. In a sport like wrestling once we're solidified as a world power (as we were through most of the 80's and into the mid-90's) it seems like people think this isn't going to go away, like basketball. To use that as an example, remember when we started sending NBA players? I actually got to watch the "Dream Team" play in person during the Tournament of the Americas and they were more impressive than any other basketball team I've watched in person. I also got to watch wrestling at the Goodwill Games held the previous year too, which was the first time I'd seen Olympic style wrestling live.

So the problem we have with wrestling is very similar to what happened to USA basketball. We lost in 1988 fielding a team of college amateurs against quasi professionals from Russia. So we got our own high powered professionals. Then after a few cycles the rest of the world started catching up and we started losing. So what did we do? USA basketball basically tore down everything and rebuilt. They hired new coaches, revamped the team selection process, the training camp process, etc. We still have not done that yet. We've made some changes but I think we really need to look at what USA basketball did, because it worked. They returned with a fury after winning a bronze medal in 2004 to claim the last 2 gold medals. They reacted quickly because once the casual fans saw that USA basketball was in dire straits, nobody started to care. If the casual fans of wrestling haven't figured it out yet they will see we're not a world power anymore soon enough. Then we'll be losing viewers and fans even more than we already have.

So I guess first thing is first. Revamping and or replacing USAW.

i dont entirely disagree with the sentiment, but i think basketball is a horrible comparison. its about as far away from wrestling as you can get in just about every aspect. the challenges faces USA basketball have almost nothing to do with that of USAW. the only thing basketball has to do is figure out a way to get multi millionaires to care about exhibition games they dont get paid for.

USAW's biggest issues in my humble opinion, as far as placements at world tournaments, is that it is part of FILA, and FILA promotes Freestyle and greco-roman wrestling, whereas all the talent and infrastructure in America is based on folkstyle. if you started by tearing down and rebuilding high school and college wrestling and rebuilt it in freestyle oriented rules, then i think you'd see a much different international picture. i'm not advocating that, just saying, thats a much bigger hindrance to american performances at the world level, imho.