Sign in to follow this  
jstock

R.I.P. Jimmy Carr

Sad news indeed; I saw Jimmy wrestle a lot (first guy I ever saw do an ankle pick backhanded; that is, he had a left leg lead and would pick your right leg lead by reaching across with his left thumb on the mat picking your right heel from inside). I didn't get to know him or Fletcher as well as I know Joe and Nate, two of the nicest guys (strong Christians), and who must be grieving over the loss of their brother. Fastest guy I ever saw (along with Charlie Heard), and very entertaining. He didn't excel collegiately due to conditioning IMO (same with Charlie).

Sending up prayers for the Carr family. I never met Jimmy, but had the pleasure of knowing Nate and his son Nate Jr while he wrestled in high school. Great Christian family that helped a young Christian, in myself. God bless the entire Carr family.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Carr Family also......Jimmy was very special.....I was at, and filmed the 1973 World Cup.....against the Russian, Jimmy suplayed him at least 4 times, and Yuri Shakmaradov (the Soviet coach) talked them out of 3 of them. I also watched and filmed Jimmy when he won the Midlands Championships. I consider myself a good friend of Nates.....in fact, he had never seen Jimmy wrestle, and I brought him to my home once during a summer camp and showed him the match against the Russian.

Hopefully the home page of TheMat.com will do a nice tribute article. Not much has posted on the internet yet, but that maybe because information is just now starting to come in.

_____

http://www.goerie.com/article/20130815/ ... mplate=art

NEWS

PUBLISHED: AUGUST 15, 2013 10:39 PM EST

UPDATED: AUGUST 15, 2013 10:39 PM EST

Olympic wrestler Carr dies at Hamot

STAFF REPORT, Erie Times-News

Erie Olympic wrestler Jimmy Carr died today at UPMC Hamot, authorities said.

Carr was 58.

As a 17-year-old student at East High School in 1972, he was the youngest-ever American freestyle wrestler when he competed for the U.S. team at the Olympic Games in Munich.

Carr was involved in an automobile crash on July 30 in Erie, authorities said.

The Erie County Coroner's Office will review Carr's medical records to determine a cause of death, Erie County Deputy Coroner Dennis Suscheck said Thursday night.