Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

My plan for realignment/scheduling in the B1G...

Frankly, the "Big Four" of Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio State, and Penn State should be meeting as often as possible, and the fact that Ohio State misses two of those three this year should be simply outrageous to Buckeye fans (or, if you prefer, tanning bed fans).

Absolutely. This all the way. Create the exciting match ups that people want to see and then go put the product out in the marketplace. The demand is there, no reason to not make it happen.

I actually think the demand would be far higher in terms of what counts (TV ratings) if sometimes these matchups did NOT occur on a regular basis, but were reserved for a conference championship match. If Iowa/Minnesota were in one division and PSU/OSU in another, I would have no problem with this as a PSU fan. I don't see any long standing rivalries that are going to be a problem. Two of these teams will be good enough to make the championship match and the buzz will better than anything we have in the regular season now.

I understand your point of view as a wrestling fan and desire to see as many high quality matchups as possible. I disagree that this will be what is best to promote wrestling.

I also don't see the excitement in a B1G conference tournament. 8 teams is 7 matchups, which is 5 or 6 too many at this point. I just think you build excitement from the top down. If you are having trouble drawing (attendance or ratings) to your sport, the answer is not to create more product.

What might be best for those of us here that hang out on wrestling message boards, might not be best for the sport. At this time I would absolutely disagree with the statement "the demand is there."

I actually think the demand would be far higher in terms of what counts (TV ratings) if sometimes these matchups did NOT occur on a regular basis, but were reserved for a conference championship match. If Iowa/Minnesota were in one division and PSU/OSU in another, I would have no problem with this as a PSU fan. I don't see any long standing rivalries that are going to be a problem. Two of these teams will be good enough to make the championship match and the buzz will better than anything we have in the regular season now.

I understand your point of view as a wrestling fan and desire to see as many high quality matchups as possible. I disagree that this will be what is best to promote wrestling.

I also don't see the excitement in a B1G conference tournament. 8 teams is 7 matchups, which is 5 or 6 too many at this point. I just think you build excitement from the top down. If you are having trouble drawing (attendance or ratings) to your sport, the answer is not to create more product.

What might be best for those of us here that hang out on wrestling message boards, might not be best for the sport. At this time I would absolutely disagree with the statement "the demand is there."

so all else staying the same, you'd rather not see a PSU v Iowa or Minnesota in a regular season dual? i don't get that at all and i don't think its good for the sport or the fans, be they of the casual or hardcore variety.

Frankly, the "Big Four" of Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio State, and Penn State should be meeting as often as possible, and the fact that Ohio State misses two of those three this year should be simply outrageous to Buckeye fans (or, if you prefer, tanning bed fans).

Absolutely. This all the way. Create the exciting match ups that people want to see and then go put the product out in the marketplace. The demand is there, no reason to not make it happen.

Sorry, I don't see why there would be a big TV demand for a conference championship dual meet that doesn't mean much. It would make NO difference in qualifying for a National Duals as multiple BIG teams would make that and it would make NO difference in qualifying for the NCAAs so I don't see where the demand or hype would come from.

TV Ratings mean nothing for us, unless the networks are buying our events in exchange for rights fees (and, in the case of a potential Big Ten Conference championship dual, they never will, due to the existence of the Big Ten Network).

I wasn't saying there would be excitement in a Big Ten wrestling conference tournament. I was saying that the conference would be more likely to go for a conference tournament with four or eight teams, if there was an automatic bid in the conference.

In fact, I would bet that, if an automatic bid to the dual phase of our championships is to be hanging in the balance starting in 2016, most conferences will have a tournament to determine that automatic bid, and worth noting is that without companion legislation to exempt a conference dual-meet championship in addition to the individual championships, that would have to count as a date of competition. Just food for thought.

So none of you think that if the B1G had a geographic alignment this year and PSU met Iowa/Minnesota in a conference championship matchup it wouldn't garner far more buzz than a regular season dual meet between PSU and Iowa both on these boards and in TV ratings for the B1G network?

I'm not asking this rhetorically, I do want to know. I feel like I would have more anticipation for the conference championship matchup.

I do get what you are saying Nova about it not meaning anything in terms of a national dual championship, but I would like to see that come about and I'm not sure that right now I wouldn't be just as happy to see a "plus four" type of thing come about like football is about to have rather than a full blown 16 team national championship. One step at a time. Honestly, I haven't thought this completely through (as SHP pointed out about the exemption for the date of competition, but I'm sure that could be overcome).

So none of you think that if the B1G had a geographic alignment this year and PSU met Iowa/Minnesota in a conference championship matchup it wouldn't garner far more buzz than a regular season dual meet between PSU and Iowa both on these boards and in TV ratings for the B1G network?

I'm not asking this rhetorically, I do want to know. I feel like I would have more anticipation for the conference championship matchup.

I do get what you are saying Nova about it not meaning anything in terms of a national dual championship, but I would like to see that come about and I'm not sure that right now I wouldn't be just as happy to see a "plus four" type of thing come about like football is about to have rather than a full blown 16 team national championship. One step at a time. Honestly, I haven't thought this completely through (as SHP pointed out about the exemption for the date of competition, but I'm sure that could be overcome).

I didn't say it wouldn't. I said it wouldn't be relevant, and won't be as long as the conference isn't selling rights' fees (which it never will), and at second thought, given that most of the buyers of commercial time on BTN during wrestling matches are wrestling-specific organizations, may be counterproductive to the sport in terms of them buying airtime.

I think it would get far more buzz from everyone that posts here and from wrestling fans but not from the rest of the country. I'm not saying I don't want to have this happen, in fact I think it's a very good idea. I just don't see it getting aired by any network except the BTN.