Sign in to follow this  
Wire

Sweet "Move-In" for OK State

So ... Jordon Rogers is finished with his RS year, and should have a solid impact for Smith and crew. Meanwhile little brother Chandler commits to OK Sate as well.

Mom is a College Administrator. Guess who all have decided to move down to Oklahoma? Mom and Dad have gotten new jobs, and Chandler will finish his HS career in Oklahoma, and then move right on over to OSU.

Sweet deal for all parties involved. And it sounds solid.

(As of some chatter the last 2 day's on the Washington Wrestling report. ) Word is the 170# kids better look out, as Chandler should be well healed up from Fargo, and will try for his 4th State Championship in HS, at Stillwater HS we think ... He has 3 in Washington already.

The legacy team for Oklahoma State looks very good. I do not live in Oklahoma so therefore do not follow OK wrestling that closely, but there are a lot of offspring from previous wrestlers that are very tough in high school

Someone posted an all legacy team that we could have the next few years and it looked pretty powerful. It did include the Mardstens and Rogers, but Dieringer was not mentioned. Most were sons of former all americans that had placed at Fargo as juniors or cadets.

http://oklahomastate.rivals.com/showmsg ... 32&style=2

Kenny Monday is currently a coach at the Blackzilians MMA camp in Boca Raton. He and his family moved, and what I mean is the high school there (stillwater) lost him - where it looks like Rodgers and the Dieringers will be attending.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a little strange? Since when do the parents of college wrestlers (or any athlete) actually find jobs and move their entire family these kind of distances to be in the area? I would be concerned that some boosters, or worse yet, someone affiliated with the university is involved with finding jobs for these parents and that would be a big time NCAA violation. This very well may not be the case, but when you have multiple families doing it, it certainly raises a perception of impropriety.

Mark Hall and dad has moved all over the country side and not a sound from Flying Tiger. It does sound strange for a parent to want to be there for their kids and help them make the right decisions in their lives. If you have ever met the Rogers and their kids you would have walked away thinking why can't I be like that and hope my daughter marries someone like that! About as stand up as they come. Also with a training center in Stillwater the kids will get the best coaching to advance their wrestling ability. Ask Cael and all the other training centers around the country if that isn't a draw for their schools. It takes more than a picture of a coach hugging a wrestler and picking daisies to draw them in.

Flying Tiger, I understand where you are coming from and if I wasn't an Oklahoma State alumni I would also be concerned thinking that there is something nefarious going on. However, both of these move-ins are legitimate. No one is creating jobs for the families. They just want to be near where their older sons are wrestling and Stillwater Highschool already sports a lot of good wrestlers and coaches. In fact, there have been speculations on two other move-ins neither of which has decided at this time to do it but it may be happening in the future.

Of course from a homer point of view I like to think that top notch wrestlers and their families are attracted to Stillwater because an incredible set of coaches in John Smith, Eric Guerrero, Zack Esposito,Coleman Rogers and others are in house. Many of the wrestlers at Stillwater High school aspire to be Cowboys in the future. Stillwater was not bereft of wrestlers before the move in with the likes of Joe Smith, Kaid Brock, Andrew Nieman and others.

The legacy team for Oklahoma State looks very good. I do not live in Oklahoma so therefore do not follow OK wrestling that closely, but there are a lot of offspring from previous wrestlers that are very tough in high school

Someone posted an all legacy team that we could have the next few years and it looked pretty powerful. It did include the Mardstens and Rogers, but Dieringer was not mentioned. Most were sons of former all americans that had placed at Fargo as juniors or cadets.

http://oklahomastate.rivals.com/showmsg ... 32&style=2

According to this article, Joe Smith looks like a sure thing for OSU.

http://www.highschoolsportscenter.com/a ... px?id=1822

Even with those move ins... its still not a lock to even win the 6A state title in Oklahoma... Edmond North has a lot coming back from last years state championship squad and Tulsa Union added a few move ins of their own. With that said, it obviously puts them in the hunt with what they already had in Joe Smith, Kaid Brock, and Andrew Neiman (not to mention any upcoming freshmen, previous starters, etc). Will be fun to watch in Oklahoma this year.

Even with those move ins... its still not a lock to even win the 6A state title in Oklahoma... Edmond North has a lot coming back from last years state championship squad and Tulsa Union added a few move ins of their own. With that said, it obviously puts them in the hunt with what they already had in Joe Smith, Kaid Brock, and Andrew Neiman (not to mention any upcoming freshmen, previous starters, etc). Will be fun to watch in Oklahoma this year.

I'm thinking that BA has a better shot than Stillwater. Look for BA to go toe to toe with Edmond North especially with the addition of Davion Jeffries (Class 5A 2x State Champ). Pup Simmons has to be favored over Kaid Brock, Moore vs Smith should be another good matchup for sure.

A lot of schools have tuition waivers or reduced priced schooling if your parent is a member of the faculty, so that could sweeten the pot. Free Education and being part of one of the premiere teams in the nation at the DI level? Hard to pass up!

Am I the only one that thinks this is a little strange? Since when do the parents of college wrestlers (or any athlete) actually find jobs and move their entire family these kind of distances to be in the area? I would be concerned that some boosters, or worse yet, someone affiliated with the university is involved with finding jobs for these parents and that would be a big time NCAA violation. This very well may not be the case, but when you have multiple families doing it, it certainly raises a perception of impropriety.

I am not sure that any college wrestling team in the country has the pull to land two non-athletic, university jobs for parents so that they can recruit a wrestler to the school. Especially when the older one is already there without any jobs for the parents.

So which is more likely, John Smith (or a booster) convinced the University to hire two adults to university positions so OSU could sign a commit they were already highly favored to get, or two parents moved across country so they could watch their boys compete in college?

I am not sure that any college wrestling team in the country has the pull to land two non-athletic, university jobs for parents so that they can recruit a wrestler to the school. Especially when the older one is already there without any jobs for the parents.

So which is more likely, John Smith (or a booster) convinced the University to hire two adults to university positions so OSU could sign a commit they were already highly favored to get, or two parents moved across country so they could watch their boys compete in college?

I find myself in the strange position of being in agreement with the Flung Tiger - :o ;) - this does sound a bit fishy. But I'm sure there MUST be a reasonable explanation. I'll just wait patiently for it!

Of course from a homer point of view I like to think that top notch wrestlers and their families are attracted to Stillwater because an incredible set of coaches in John Smith, Eric Guerrero, Zack Esposito,Coleman Rogers and others are in house.

who is coleman rogers?

Jon you call yourself an OK State fan and you do not know Coleman Rogers? Well, neither do I but my fingers apparently do. I know I was talking about Coleman Scott coaching the Rogers brothers but when you reach my age the brain gets side-tracked. Remember Newby McDaniel? Inside joke on the OK State board as I once referred to Newly McSpadden as Newby McDaniel.

Tigs-I find it ironic that the biggest Penn St. groupie on the message boards is raising suspicions about another team and impropriety when your team has 30 top 5 blue chip recruits on 9.9 scholarships. I find that more strange than the OSU/Stillwater situation but hey man I'm not saying Penn St. is doing anything wrong, they might not be. See how easy that is to do?

In real wrestling news and not irresponsible cheating rumors, lets hope Stillwater brings that NEW team to the Kansas City Stampede this year and see how they do.

+1000 (and I'm a PSU fan)