Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hammerlock3

Is Iran the best conditioned country?

Guest Hammerlock3

After watching T-shirts, gavin, and with angle in the back of my mind, I can't help but think Iran has it's guy in better shape than any other nation.

Guest Hammerlock3

Indeed.

I think the only thing holding them back is population and the medieval mentality of their government.

I will say the Iranian really wore Tsirtsis down in that 2nd period. He pushed the pace and Tsirtsis looked tired. I was surprised to see him lose his next match. The Iranian wrestled the Russian in the second round at wore him down just like he did Tsirtsis.

I actually think Americans generally are in better condition than Iranians on the whole. However when your opponent is forcing the action/has you in a defensive position, in fatigues you much faster both physically and mentally. Iranians historically like to get a lead early and then go into defensive mode (otherwise known as stalling). They will do things such as shooting on a leg and just holding on (not attempting to finish) just to waste time until a stalemate is call. They will even give up take downs so they can kill time so long as their lead isn't in danger (examples being Dabir, Talaei, or Mohammadi). However in the last 10 years or so they do seem to be in better condition than they once were.

I actually think Americans generally are in better condition than Iranians on the whole. However when your opponent is forcing the action/has you in a defensive position, in fatigues you much faster both physically and mentally. Iranians historically like to get a lead early and then go into defensive mode (otherwise known as stalling). They will do things such as shooting on a leg and just holding on (not attempting to finish) just to waste time until a stalemate is call. They will even give up take downs so they can kill time so long as their lead isn't in danger (examples being Dabir, Talaei, or Mohammadi). However in the last 10 years or so they do seem to be in better condition than they once were.

Mostly this, americans are the best for gas tank, but iranians use better hand/head positioning and forward motion, slapping the head moving forward dragging opponents, forcing their strength on their opponent counteracting the fitness of their opponent wearing them out, one thing i would say is they are probably physically the strongest wrestlers, looking at greco over the last few years it can be seen, it comes from centuries of strength worshipping being passed on through generations, look up pahlevans and zurkanneh(house of strength aka like a strength church), they have a lot of respect for strength in Iran.

Basically the classic iranian style is to slap, drag opponents and attack the leg, similar to americans really but more technical and stronger, but not as well prepared out of the mat, diet, fitness, preparation, mentality etc. I remember a former national team member telling me the iranian style requires too much effort through the whole tournament, too much attacking having to go for the leg and pressure will wear you out and takes years to master, he said the russian way is easier, wait for your opponent then put the hips on them and counter, or get exposure.

But I'm glad now it seems to have changed, the russian gas tank and strategy can't last as well under these rules.