Sign in to follow this  
vhsalum

GOT TAMMIT FILA!

From the Sports Illustrated article Stan posted:

"A more engaged federation and increased gender equality should help wrestling's cause. But rules changes designed to make wrestling easier to understand and more fun to watch could prove to be the difference"

FILA can find everything it needs to within this excellent thread, but Stan's utterly egocentric perspective is missing the forest for the trees. Wrestling doesn't need your smothering love and paternalism, our sport can stand for itself if you just get out of the way.

I've never seen anything quite like the FILA guys. It's like a football coach who hasn't won a game in 15 years of coaching telling you how good he is, how you don't know anything, and how this year's going to be different. At some point, your resume is your resume, and I don't mean things that are irrelevant like # of world medals won. How has the sport advanced or declined under your watch?

At some point, we all have to wake up and see that the Emperor isn't wearing fancy robes that we can't see, he has no clothes on at all.

I finally caved and got an account on this board, just so I could join this thread. I have some questions for Stan, hopefully he is still around.

1- It seems like the recent rule changes have been concessions to various wrestling powers. The initial new rules are very "American" (esp the 2 pt takedowns) whereas the 2x3 rule and the pass by point appear to be consessions to other groups (Russia?) who prefer that back exposures be emphsized. Is this correct? And if so, why not simply change a back exposure to 3 pts and feet-to-back to 4 or 5?

2- I understand that the weight class reductions are concessions to the IOC. Is there any reason wrestling cannot have more weights,longer matches, ect in all other events? I understand the Olympics are #1 but that is once every 4 years. Why should every other tournament follow the Olympic format?

\

3- What is the reason criteria is used to break ties instead of OT? Criteria is confusing to fans whereas OT adds excitement. I understand that OT takes a bit longer, but does it really make that much difference, especially with the possibility for passivity points?

changing the scoring by multiples of the current system is putting lipstick on a pig. the scores look high with the same amount of action. the risk of attacking the legs is what they wanted to reward. this creates action and is now equally rewarding as counter exposure. the logic is sound. why attack the legs and risk giving up 2 for the reward of 1 point.

Then FILA is working against itself. In the matches I've seen, when wrestler A shoots legs and wrestler B counters for exposure, B scores 2 (as before). If A then gains control, A only scores 1 (pass-by, reversal, wahtever you want to call it). Not sure if this is correct scoring, as the rules change from week to week now, but thats what I've seen.

Then FILA is working against itself. In the matches I've seen, when wrestler A shoots legs and wrestler B counters for exposure, B scores 2 (as before). If A then gains control, A only scores 1 (pass-by, reversal, wahtever you want to call it). Not sure if this is correct scoring, as the rules change from week to week now, but thats what I've seen.

Sounds right.

From the Sports Illustrated article Stan posted:

"A more engaged federation and increased gender equality should help wrestling's cause. But rules changes designed to make wrestling easier to understand and more fun to watch could prove to be the difference"

FILA can find everything it needs to within this excellent thread, but Stan's utterly egocentric perspective is missing the forest for the trees. Wrestling doesn't need your smothering love and paternalism, our sport can stand for itself if you just get out of the way.

I've never seen anything quite like the FILA guys. It's like a football coach who hasn't won a game in 15 years of coaching telling you how good he is, how you don't know anything, and how this year's going to be different. At some point, your resume is your resume, and I don't mean things that are irrelevant like # of world medals won. How has the sport advanced or declined under your watch?

At some point, we all have to wake up and see that the Emperor isn't wearing fancy robes that we can't see, he has no clothes on at all.

Agreed, and it seems every time Stan posts, he digs the hole he's in a little deeper. I just can't tell if he's using a shovel or dynamite to dig his hole.

i have no idea if it is being called how they want it to be called or not, but it doesn't change the logic.

if you score clean you are up 2-0.

if you are exposed you are down 1-2

if you get exposed and back to your feet it's 0-2

under the old rules only the first scenario changes where you used to only be up 1-0.

this is a significant change when you consider conversion percentage. under the old rules you had to convert cleanly twice as often as you got exposed. now you can convert at the same rate as you get exposed to break even.