Sign in to follow this  
vhsalum

GOT TAMMIT FILA!

Reading Stan's posts remind me of a couple 8th grade students that are in my room every year. They think they are the smartest people in the room. They tell everybody they are the smartest in the room. They think everybody else is the cause of the problems and that they have all the answers to "solve" these problems. In reality, they aren't even close to being the smartest kid in the room and are the true cause of the problems.

Only 3 mats, 1 pm start time, weight class must be started and completed in single day, reduction of weight classes, etc. all falls at the feet of FILA. Excellent resume. Hopefully expulsion from the Olympic games won't be the next bullet point on their resume.

Excellent endorsement of FILA.

Read what Eric Akin had to say on mixedmartialarts.com.

"The IOC said they were fed up with the controversies at FILA," explained Akin. "They’ve been warning FILA for 3 Olympics. In 2008, the Greco-Roman wrestler threw his bronze medal across the arena at the awards ceremony. It was because he took two raw calls, two Olympics in a row. He can’t come back."

"I think (the IOC is) just fed up with what FILA is done. There have been a lot of bad reports after Olympics. Countries reporting FILA for different controversies. We kind of did it to ourselves because we let FILA control wrestling and everyone was afraid to step up. They just want to play the political game."

"Wrestling is a sport that doesn’t have a lot of popularity in some countries. What they started to do brackets they would seed you by having you pull a keychain or a trinket with a number when you step off the scale. They say they do that to let other countries get to the medal matches. So the first weight class will happen and Russia or the US will get three golds. Then their next group of guys will come out and start competing and they’ll get screwed really bad. Their excuse will be 'you guys already have three golds, you don’t need another one.' Well that other guy doesn’t care how many his country has. He wants it for himself. They act like it’s something they delegate to countries."

"What wrestling really needs is a brand new governing body. I wouldn’t be surprised if the IOC says 'FILA, you’re done.' Wrestling needs to appoint itself a new governing body because it’s not FILA."

IMO; We lose any way.

The sport that FILA and the IOC has surreptitiously designed for the future is a case of "Hood-winkery".

Wrestling has been left out in the cold ...an empty shell of what it once was.

I can only wonder if we might advance our position if wrestling was switched to the Winter Olympics?

If wrestling only consists of 6 weights per style, IT'S NOT WORTH EVEN HAVING THE SPORT!!! Why are we even fighting for this?

Can someone please break the 6 weights so we can see how many of our current athletes will be left out in the cold?

While you're at it lets see a list of the FILA salaries.

If wrestling only consists of 6 weights per style, IT'S NOT WORTH EVEN HAVING THE SPORT!!! Why are we even fighting for this?

Can someone please break the 6 weights so we can see how many of our current athletes will be left out in the cold?

While you're at it lets see a list of the FILA salaries.

Unable to locate any financial disclosure of salary STOP

Can only assume they are not paid to think STOP

Rest assured I would not bet on FILA, the IOC …or a horse named Tripod. STOP

I’ve read in some threads that Americans, Russians, Iranians and others must join and create another international governing body. That is not going to happen. SportsAccord recognizes FILA. And Americans, Russians, Iranians and others are already represented in FILA. FILA has associated 177 national governing bodies and all of them vote in the General Assembly to choose the Bureau and the President. Actually, Russians and Americans control the current Bureau and lead the effort to stay in the Olympics. They changed the President (I think Mamiashvili (the president of Russian wrestling federation) was the first to ask for the head of Martinetti).

There’s not debate. Wrestling has to be in the Olympics.

I prefer ten weights per style instead of six, but this is part of the prize we must pay. I agree that they must increase the number of weights in non-Olympic years, and the Continentals be the qualifiers. I prefer technical falls of 10 points for freestyle too, with no 2-3 points throws ending the bout.

I don’t see any problem with broadcasters and brackets of 20 persons in the Olympics. In the Worlds, there are not restrictions. I suppose everybody has their own opinion and there’re a lot of solutions without the 7 points technical falls and 2-3 points throws and meet the one day constraint. They can seed the wrestlers according to the Continentals and do a several preliminary rounds, early in the morning, the day before, or the first day of the championships for all the styles and weights, with the worst seeded wrestlers in order to achieve the perfect number (16). So, they’d have a standard competition limited to 16 wrestlers per weight each day. For instance, in tennis tournaments there are preliminary rounds that have less interest for the media.

IMO we are fortunate because we can directly express our opinion to a vice president of FILA and influence over him. Stan is only a voice in the Bureu (an important one, we know) and I imagine he can’t do everything he wants. Of course he can be wrong too. Everything can be improved but manners are important and we shouldn’t lose respect. Think that he is part of one organization and it’s not correct to criticize other members in front of non-members. But he has the opportunity to take that into account and do (or not) something good from inside without external witnesses.

Another point is that FILA recognized internationally folk wrestling, and I think Anthony Flatt is in charge of the Folkstyle Sports Committee.

http://www.fila-official.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=815%3Areconnaissance-de-la-lutte-folk-americain&catid=59%3Aactualite&Itemid=100287&lang=en

USA Wrestling can hold the World Folkstyle Wrestling Championships with ten weights for men and women, in an American way, with ESPN or CBSsports as broadcasters. And IOC will have nothing to say about.

"IMO we are fortunate because we can directly express our opinion to a vice president of FILA and influence over him. Stan is only a voice in the Bureu (an important one, we know) and I imagine he can’t do everything he wants. Of course he can be wrong too. Everything can be improved but manners are important and we shouldn’t lose respect. Think that he is part of one organization and it’s not correct to criticize other members in front of non-members. But he has the opportunity to take that into account and do (or not) something good from inside without external witnesses."

If you read the posts, I gave benefit of doubt, showed respect and used manners. Stan's replies with his condescending attitude and complete nonsensical comments dictated a loss of respect and faith in our leadership. It is just totally disappointing that our USA guy would turn into the politician on the gravy train kind of guy. I believe Stan may have been good at one time as a elite competitor, coach and administrator but became corrupt somewhere along the line. It seems he will say and do whatever he needs to to keep his standing in FILA, and what is good for wrestling is a secondary concern. I would rather see our USA guy fight for the advancement of wrestling with the potential of going down swinging.

I would hope Stan would start to think about what his legacy will be in wrestling. Will he be remembered one day as a great competitor, coach and administrator or the politician who played a role in screwing up one of the worlds oldest and greatest sports?

jstock, right on. I will always respect Stan as a competitor, but his smugness and condescending attitude have not served the sport well on this thread. If treating grass roots people (who keep this sport pumping in this country) with contempt, sarcasm, and canned FILA responses is helping wrestling, then we are sure to be back in the Olympics. Stan has been at the helm through the most destructive period in our sport's history and yet speaks with complete arrogance. Absurd.

AnklePicker wrote,

"While you're at it lets see a list of the FILA salaries."

You can stop looking. You won't find any. The FILA Bureau members are volunteers. In fact, in most cases the expense reimbursement doesn't cover the costs incurred carrying out one's duties--which generally consume 60 or so days on the road [100+ this year] as a FILA delegate @ Continental Championships, site inspections and 2 annual bureau meetings and now this year, of course, making sure the 104 IOC members understand what wrestling provides its participants and the role it plays as a force for good.

Today's NY Times has a well-researched article regarding squash's journey and the upcoming vote in Buenos Aires, which some may find insightful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/busin ... GSj/n1Q4hA

jstock wrote:

"I would hope Stan would start to think about what his legacy will be in wrestling. Will he be remembered one day as a great competitor, coach and administrator or the politician who played a role in screwing up one of the worlds oldest and greatest sports."

I care little about my legacy or how I'm remembered, my focus is to do what I can to preserve the dreams of being an Olympic Champion for the millions of wrestlers world-wide--male and female, GR and freestlye--something it appears you care little about.

I care little about my legacy or how I'm remembered, my focus is to do what I can to preserve the dreams of being an Olympic Champion for the millions of wrestlers world-wide--male and female, GR and freestlye--something it appears you care little about.

And that, sir, is the problem. Your job should be to promote and improve the standing of wrestling worldwide, and if that would be better-done with the IOC being told to go themselves for a few cycles, then so be it. Eventually, you guys do your job, and the Olympics will take care of themselves, even if it means us not being part of the Olympic Games in 2020, or 2024, or 2028, etc.

But it's shortsighted views like the one you just stated, looking for the quick-fix, that got us into the position we're in, on the outside begging to get back in.

And that, sir, is the problem. Your job should be to promote and improve the standing of wrestling worldwide, and if that would be better-done with the IOC being told to go themselves for a few cycles, then so be it. Eventually, you guys do your job, and the Olympics will take care of themselves, even if it means us not being part of the Olympic Games in 2020, or 2024, or 2028, etc.

But it's shortsighted views like the one you just stated, looking for the quick-fix, that got us into the position we're in, on the outside begging to get back in.

You stupid twerp. You're the one who is shortsighted. Being in the Olympic Games is important.

As said earlier, Stan is one person in FILA.

Go back behind your computer, push up your glasses, and STFU. You are an idiot AND nothing more then some stat geek.

You stupid twerp. You're the one who is shortsighted. Being in the Olympic Games is important.

Go back behind your computer, push up your glasses, and STFU. You are an idiot AND nothing more then some stat geek.

Reread what I said, please, before you respond with personal attacks. I didn't say that being in the Olympics wasn't important, however, I did say that being in the Olympics wasn't the be-all-end-all, and that if we get the sport and the organization right, the Olympics would take care of itself. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Sincerely,

Stat Geek with IQ under 25

I’ve read in some threads that Americans, Russians, Iranians and others must join and create another international governing body. That is not going to happen. SportsAccord recognizes FILA. And Americans, Russians, Iranians and others are already represented in FILA. FILA has associated 177 national governing bodies and all of them vote in the General Assembly to choose the Bureau and the President. Actually, Russians and Americans control the current Bureau and lead the effort to stay in the Olympics. They changed the President (I think Mamiashvili (the president of Russian wrestling federation) was the first to ask for the head of Martinetti).

if there is truly no hope for fixing FILA than the best option is to ignore it. hopefully some independent professional organization will emerge and side step the whole mess. some kind of cross between UFC and the ATP.

all just a pipe dream at this point but who knows, maybe i'll win powerball and give it a shot.

some kind of cross between UFC and the ATP.

all just a pipe dream at this point but who knows, maybe i'll win powerball and give it a shot.

If the sport is going to flourish, it needs to have a thriving international tour. That is the case whether the Olympics vote goes in our favor or not. Right now, the international tour exists, but it is poorly attended, poorly organized, and poorly marketed. I showed up for the finals of a senior-level freestyle tournament in Poland a few weeks ago. The internet said the finals would be at 7 PM. We arrived at 5:45. When we got there, there was a sign announcing that the finals would begin at 6. When we walked in, the finals were almost over. They weren't selling tickets, and it looked as though wrestlers made up the vast majority of people in the stands. The tournament definitely was not televised. I talked to Zeke Jones after the event, and he said that the same scheduling run-around had happened the week before in Armenia. The tournament organizers wanted to speed things up -- that's no way to build a fan base.

Here's a back of the envelope calculation:

If you can sell out a 15,000 seat arena for three days, at $45 per day, that's approximately $2 million. (Carver Hawkeye might be an option, for example.)

If you could otherwise break even with concessions sales, and distribute the $2 million as prize money, you could attract some serious wrestling talent.

10 weights, $100,000 prize for 1st, $50,000 prize for 2nd, $25,000 prize for 3rd, with the additional $25,000 distributed throughout the field of competitors.

There are a number of new cable sports channels, like FoxSports1 or BeIn, that currently do not fill their lineups. They might be interested in covering a tournament that could attract the best wrestlers in the world.

“Ah. I see. Yes, yes. I understand.

How uh, good of you to, umm, catch that.”

… backs away slowly, dials Bellvue 911.

I finally caved and got an account on this board, just so I could join this thread. I have some questions for Stan, hopefully he is still around.

1- It seems like the recent rule changes have been concessions to various wrestling powers. The initial new rules are very "American" (esp the 2 pt takedowns) whereas the 2x3 rule and the pass by point appear to be consessions to other groups (Russia?) who prefer that back exposures be emphsized. Is this correct? And if so, why not simply change a back exposure to 3 pts and feet-to-back to 4 or 5?

2- I understand that the weight class reductions are concessions to the IOC. Is there any reason wrestling cannot have more weights,longer matches, ect in all other events? I understand the Olympics are #1 but that is once every 4 years. Why should every other tournament follow the Olympic format?

\

3- What is the reason criteria is used to break ties instead of OT? Criteria is confusing to fans whereas OT adds excitement. I understand that OT takes a bit longer, but does it really make that much difference, especially with the possibility for passivity points?

I am skeptical, so the FILA positions and the "work" done are a free community service ?

AnklePicker wrote,

"While you're at it lets see a list of the FILA salaries.'

You can stop looking. You won't find any. The FILA Bureau members are volunteers. In fact, in most cases the expense reimbursement doesn't cover the costs incurred carrying out one's duties--which generally consume 60 or so days on the road [100+ this year] as a FILA delegate @ Continental Championships, site inspections and 2 annual bureau meetings and now this year, of course, making sure the 104 IOC members understand what wrestling provides its participants and the role it plays as a force for good.

From the Sports Illustrated article Stan posted:

"A more engaged federation and increased gender equality should help wrestling's cause. But rules changes designed to make wrestling easier to understand and more fun to watch could prove to be the difference"

FILA can find everything it needs to within this excellent thread, but Stan's utterly egocentric perspective is missing the forest for the trees. Wrestling doesn't need your smothering love and paternalism, our sport can stand for itself if you just get out of the way.