Sign in to follow this  
paver1surf1

Cadet Worlds?

Yeah because I'm sure a kid like Pico is thinking, "I want to go to the 4th best team in the country!"

Yeah. I'm pretty sure every top recruit in the country is going to just go to Penn State for the rest of time.

The last Cali kid to Iowa was Billy Murphy and we know how that turned out. I doubt he would go there. If he goes BIG 10 I would put my money on Illinois.

I wish he wasn't held back as he would be one grade closer to Division 1. As much as I love the kid, I hate when wrestlers are a solid one year older than the rest of their class.

My mind keeps telling me he will enter his Junior year now. He's simply too old to be a sophomore.

Didn't any of U Guys see the Pico Interview, says he is Done with Folk. Aaron said when He is done Wrestling FS He will be going into Boxing & MMA {Hopefully that is after 2020} Right now he said He has only One Goal, winning an Olympic Gold

I love wrestling, but if I were Pico, I would look to get into MMA as quickly as possible. Very, very few people have the chance to make millions in MMA, but he legitimately has that chance.

We know that he's a wrestling phenom. Apparently these are his other martial arts accomplishments:

Boxing Accomplishments:

2008 Desert Showdown Champ – Indio, CA

2008 California State PAL Champ - Oxnard, CA

2008 National PAL Champ – Tournament Outstanding Boxer Award – Oxnard, CA

2009 Desert Showdown Champ – Indio, CA

2009 National Junior Golden Gloves Championship Champ – Mesquite, NV Tournament Outstanding Boxer Award

Pankration Accomplishments:

2008 - California State Pankration Champ – Santa Ana, CA

2008 – National Pankration Championships Champ – Santa Ana, CA

2009 – CA State Pankration Championships Champ – Santa Ana, CA

2010 – Golden Cup European Pankration Champ – Kharkov, Ukraine

I don't really know what any of that means, but it shows he has exposure to other aspects of MMA in addition to being the absolute cream of the crop in wrestling.

If I were him I would think about moving to the OTC, getting a GED, and taking some college classes on personal finance and business. I would also cross train with boxing. (I think Saitiev did that.) Then, I would give the 2016 Olympics a shot. After that, time to go MMA full time. Make money. College will always be there. The ability to make a ton of money with MMA will not always be there.

Didn't any of U Guys see the Pico Interview, says he is Done with Folk. Aaron said when He is done Wrestling FS He will be going into Boxing & MMA {Hopefully that is after 2020} Right now he said He has only One Goal, winning an Olympic Gold

i missed these comments.... what interview is it from? kalika made a comment about us athletes being misguided through the college system in the article on the fila homepage, but neither of them said he was done with folkstyle or bypassing college in that interview.

i missed these comments.... what interview is it from? kalika made a comment about us athletes being misguided through the college system in the article on the fila homepage, but neither of them said he was done with folkstyle or bypassing college in that interview.

InterMat, Good Interview {Must be a Member to read it} About what was said was Pico is done with Folk, taking extra Classes to Graduate in 2015 {also taking a University English On-line} so he will have a Full Yr to Train for 2016 & Hopefully for 2020 {that is His main Goal} & go into Boxing & MMA when His FS Wrestling is done. {there was a lot more in the Interview} Not Pushing InterMat but it's really not that Expensive {Well Worth the $$$$} IMO

I love wrestling, but if I were Pico, I would look to get into MMA as quickly as possible. Very, very few people have the chance to make millions in MMA, but he legitimately has that chance.

We know that he's a wrestling phenom. Apparently these are his other martial arts accomplishments:

Boxing Accomplishments:

2008 Desert Showdown Champ – Indio, CA

2008 California State PAL Champ - Oxnard, CA

2008 National PAL Champ – Tournament Outstanding Boxer Award – Oxnard, CA

2009 Desert Showdown Champ – Indio, CA

2009 National Junior Golden Gloves Championship Champ – Mesquite, NV Tournament Outstanding Boxer Award

Pankration Accomplishments:

2008 - California State Pankration Champ – Santa Ana, CA

2008 – National Pankration Championships Champ – Santa Ana, CA

2009 – CA State Pankration Championships Champ – Santa Ana, CA

2010 – Golden Cup European Pankration Champ – Kharkov, Ukraine

I don't really know what any of that means, but it shows he has exposure to other aspects of MMA in addition to being the absolute cream of the crop in wrestling.

If I were him I would think about moving to the OTC, getting a GED, and taking some college classes on personal finance and business. I would also cross train with boxing. (I think Saitiev did that.) Then, I would give the 2016 Olympics a shot. After that, time to go MMA full time. Make money. College will always be there. The ability to make a ton of money with MMA will not always be there.

Doesn't need OTC, will be Traveling around the World with His Coach to Train

Not sure I agree with you. Yes, Pico is an absolute stud, but if last years top college studs like Kyle Dake, David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Logan Stieber still couldn't make a Senior level World Team, I'm not sure Pico can crack a Senior level World team in 2016. However Cejudo laid a blue print, and he went full time to OTC earning a gold along the way. In short, I think Pico absolutely needs a the OTC. Training partners, financial backing to train and compete internationally has it's perks. I do agree, theres nothing more to prove in folk. Also, with uncertainty about Olympics in 2020, focusing exclusively on freestyle makes sense

2013 - FILA Cadet World Champ

2014 - I'm guessing he focuses on FILA Junior Worlds

2015 - I'm guessing this will be his first year he exclusively focuses on Senior level competition, but wrestles at Junior Worlds if he doesn't make Senior team.

2016 - Second year focusing at Senior level. At right weight he is in the discussion to make Olympic team, especially if he is able to nab World gold at FILA Junior level. Not unusual that many World Junior champs win Olympic and World medals the following year after they win Junior Worlds.

Not sure I agree with you. Yes, Pico is an absolute stud, but if last years top college studs like Kyle Dake, David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Logan Stieber still couldn't make a Senior level World Team, I'm not sure Pico can crack a Senior level World team in 2016. However Cejudo laid a blue print, and he went full time to OTC earning a gold along the way. In short, I think Pico absolutely needs a the OTC. Training partners, financial backing to train and compete internationally has it's perks. I do agree, theres nothing more to prove in folk. Also, with uncertainty about Olympics in 2020, focusing exclusively on freestyle makes sense

2013 - FILA Cadet World Champ

2014 - I'm guessing he focuses on FILA Junior Worlds

2015 - I'm guessing this will be his first year he exclusively focuses on Senior level competition, but wrestles at Junior Worlds if he doesn't make Senior team.

2016 - Second year focusing at Senior level. At right weight he is in the discussion to make Olympic team, especially if he is able to nab World gold at FILA Junior level. Not unusual that many World Junior champs win Olympic and World medals the following year after they win Junior Worlds.

Just for the record, I think Pico would definitely be an underdog to make the Olympic team in 2016, even if he goes to the OTC. But like I pointed out in another thread, guys in their late teens and early twenties regularly dominate in other parts of the world. And that's because they are freestylers, not re-tooled folkstylers.

Pico is a bad man. Did you guys watch that pankration video of him? He and the kid were straight belting each other everywhere but the head. He lost but the kid was bigger and apparently older. His boxing skills are impressive as well.

I did not see it. Link?

If I were Pico, I would aim to be the next GSP. That guy has some money.

InterMat, Good Interview {Must be a Member to read it} About what was said was Pico is done with Folk, taking extra Classes to Graduate in 2015 {also taking a University English On-line} so he will have a Full Yr to Train for 2016 & Hopefully for 2020 {that is His main Goal} & go into Boxing & MMA when His FS Wrestling is done. {there was a lot more in the Interview} Not Pushing InterMat but it's really not that Expensive {Well Worth the $$$$} IMO

what irony that he is a year behind his peers as far as grade level is concerned, and now he is working on classes to graduate early (on time actually). all of the sudden being a great hs wrestler isn't important and he is probably kicking himself for being a year behind. he has a great future if he can continue to progress, but 2016 is a long shot.

I wish Pico would just give up on wrestling, period, and go into MMA.

Pico is the best 16 year old wrestler in the country, but he's really not close to being able to challenge our best guys at the senior level. He could close the gap between now and 2016, especially if he focuses on freestyle only. But even if he trains freestyle only, he's still unlikely to make the team in 2016. Unfortunately, the gap is just huge right now.

Further, what happens by 2020 is anyone's guess. Wrestling might not be in the Olympics, a phenom like Burroughs might emerge after having a solid-but-not-great high school career, rule changes might disadvantage Pico, etc.

In contrast, MMA is here to stay. And for the very best guys, it will pay a lot of money. Pico is a blue chip MMA competitor. If any 16 year old has a path to the UFC and contending for a title, it's Pico. And money comes along with that. The earlier he focuses on MMA, the better.

Give up on wrestling? Are you on the right board?

I love wrestling, but millions of dollars in the bank is better. It's not even a close call.

There's a reason why great wrestlers who are also NFL prospects always choose football. Money.

Try to look at it from a neutral perspective. If some teenager from Spain was great at both soccer (where he could potentially make millions of dollars) and team handball (where he could compete in the Olympics but not make any money) which option do you think he should take?