Sign in to follow this  
ideamark

Wade Schalles wants to know who you want at All-Star Classic

Right now, college wrestling fans know the date, time and location of the 2013 NWCA All-Star Classic… and that there will be ten matches. But they don’t know which wrestlers will take to that mat at George Mason University’s Patriot Center outside Washington, D.C. on Saturday, Nov. 2.

With that in mind, WadeSchalles.com asked fans to weigh in with their match-ups, in an online poll posted at the legendary amateur wrestler’s website Tuesday, Aug. 20.

http://www.examiner.com/article/website ... ar-classic

I think it would be cool to have USA Wrestling partnered up with it somehow to promote the sport even more. I know it's probably too late, but it would be awesome to see a freestyle dual against a foreign team.

I also think it would be cool to see some other divisions of wrestling there (D2, NJCAA, etc.)

High school studs?

No D2, no high school, no grad exhibitions. Just get #1 and #2 at every weight.

No way. Taylor/Howe, Ruth/Howe, Maple/Steiber, Ramos/Delgado, Ruth/Gadsen, Ruth/Perry, St. John/Caldwell, etc. are all probably the most interesting matchups listed and I don't think any of them are at the same weight. Throw in a Dake/Askren or how about an Oliver/Jenkins and you have some good entertainment.

We get to see #1 and #2 every year at the end of the year. In fact, which of the following matchups would you think is superior (entertainment-wise) to any of the above.

Delgado-Megaludis (again?????)

Ramos-Graff (again????)

Stieber-Port

Maple-Ness (interesting)

St. John-Dieringer (again)

Taylor-Caldwell (again, and really????)

Howe-Perry (possibly interesting, but I'm thinking probably not)

Ruth-Lofthouse/Steinhaus/anybody at 184 (come on)

Meeks-Schiller (not even going to comment)

Nelson-McMullan (see above)

Matches I'd like to see (current college guys):

Howe vs Taylor

Stieber vs Maple

Perry vs Ruth

Ness vs Dieringer

Those are exactly the kind of matchups they need to make this successful, although Perry vs Ruth would be a blow out. How about Ruth vs. Nelson. That might be a close match. :lol:

Seriously, the really need to think outside the box and get marquee matchups. I went to the dual last year and at least 1/3 of the fans left as soon as the Dake vs Taylor match ended. The Patriot Center holds around 10K so if they want to sell a lot of tickets they need some really special matchups.

Matches I'd like to see (current college guys):

Howe vs Taylor

Stieber vs Maple

Perry vs Ruth

Ness vs Dieringer

Those are exactly the kind of matchups they need to make this successful, although Perry vs Ruth would be a blow out. How about Ruth vs. Nelson. That might be a close match. :lol:

Seriously, the really need to think outside the box and get marquee matchups. I went to the dual last year and at least 1/3 of the fans left as soon as the Dake vs Taylor match ended. The Patriot Center holds around 10K so if they want to sell a lot of tickets they need some really special matchups.

I was at the All Star dual last year as well and I don't remember anyone leaving after Dake/Taylor let alone 1/3 of the fans there. I believe you're thinking about the exodus after the Q Wright match at 197.

And I'm not convinced about Ruth blowing out Perry. Perry is very underrated if you ask me. He had a great chance of being a finalist the year he moved from 184 to 174 mid season and took third.

I agree to think outside of the box and get marquee matchups that you might not normally see, here's my thoughts.

125 Jesse Delgado vs Henry Cejudo

133 Tony Ramos vs Reece Humphreys

141 Logan Steiber vs Kendric Maple

149 Ugi Khishgnyam vs Dylan Ness ( Both are very exciting)

157 Alex Dieringer vs James Green

165 David Taylor vs Ben Askren

174 Kyle Dake vs Jordan Burrows

184 Ed Ruth vs Jake Herbert

197 Quentin Wright vs Jake Varner

285 Mike Mcmullen vs Tervel Dlagnev (Mcmullen is more exciting than Nelson,he actually shoots)

All, didn't have anyone leave after the Dake-Taylor match last year. Anyone who left before Wright- Willps missed a great one. The Classic has been and will continue to be a feature of our best collegiate wrestlers. The USAW match ups are in support of our Olympic movement. Don't expect to see the collegiates compete against the graduates in this format. It will be a wonderful event that kicks off the season for us wrestling starved fans.

125 Corey Clark (Iowa) vs. Jesse Delgado II

Can the (maybe) Iowa start beat Delgado again as returning NCAA champ?

133 Ryan Mango (Stanford) vs. Tony Ramos (Iowa)

Possible upper body fireworks

141 Logan Steiber vs. Kendrick Maple (OK)

Likely 2014 finals and much anticipated match

149 Destin McCauley (Neb) vs. James Green (Neb)

For starting position and #1 rank at weight

157 Alex Dieringer (OK St.) vs. Derek St. John (Iowa)

Another likely 2014 final

165 David Taylor (Penn St) vs. Bo Jordan (OSU)

DT will tech anyone else so why not pass the torch to the likely RS freshman and compare the Graham HS stars?

174 Andrew Howe (OK) vs. Matt Brown (Penn St)

Two mashers in a crowded 2014 weight class.

184 Ed Ruth (Penn St) vs. Chris Perry (OK St)

ER will tech anyone else so why not bump up an NCAA champ with freestyle cred at the weight?

197 Kyle Snyder vs. Taylor Meeks (Oregon St)

KS is junior world champ and skipping last year of high school so why not pair him against highest returning AA at the weight?

HWT Tony Nelson (Minn) vs. Nick Gwiadzowski (NC St) II

If memory serves Gwiad recently beat the 2x NCAA champ in freestyle

125 Corey Clark (Iowa) vs. Jesse Delgado II

Can the (maybe) Iowa start beat Delgado again as returning NCAA champ?

133 Ryan Mango (Stanford) vs. Tony Ramos (Iowa)

Possible upper body fireworks

141 Logan Steiber vs. Kendrick Maple (OK)

Likely 2014 finals and much anticipated match

149 Destin McCauley (Neb) vs. James Green (Neb)

For starting position and #1 rank at weight

157 Alex Dieringer (OK St.) vs. Derek St. John (Iowa)

Another likely 2014 final

165 David Taylor (Penn St) vs. Bo Jordan (OSU)

DT will tech anyone else so why not pass the torch to the likely RS freshman and compare the Graham HS stars?

174 Andrew Howe (OK) vs. Matt Brown (Penn St)

Two mashers in a crowded 2014 weight class.

184 Ed Ruth (Penn St) vs. Chris Perry (OK St)

ER will tech anyone else so why not bump up an NCAA champ with freestyle cred at the weight?

197 Kyle Snyder vs. Taylor Meeks (Oregon St)

KS is junior world champ and skipping last year of high school so why not pair him against highest returning AA at the weight?

HWT Tony Nelson (Minn) vs. Nick Gwiadzowski (NC St) II

If memory serves Gwiad recently beat the 2x NCAA champ in freestyle

-------

That would be one great All Star meet.

Btw, didn't Perry beat Q in FS? But even if so, I can't imagine Ruth having much trouble with Perry. Likely a MD.