Sign in to follow this  
bwh27

ESPN Article on Gable

In many jurisdictions what Gable did when his kids were home would be child abuse and a prosecutable offence. Punching holes in the walls and doors where his kids were?

No excusing this kind of crap.

It's all about context. Did this happen every day? Did he ever actually hit anyone? You can't just take snippets from a magazine article and place them in a vacuum when you don't know details and circumstances of situations. He was just being a trolling prick.

Read the article again, more carefully. Gable has/had serious issues that scared his family and his kids as well as some others. Not a healthy environment for children.

His 'driven' is anothers abuse.

No kid should have to live around this type of behavior. As I wrote, in many jurisdictions this would be child abuse. Enough to have Family Services step in.

People have to get a grip! One look at the photo of Gable and his daughters and you know that it's all good.

I grew up with so-called "European discipline," a central element of which was corporal punishment. That wasn't simply administered within the family, but in the Church as well. Classmates that I knew had physically collapsed after an hour on their knees praying. We just thought they were weak.

I myself was locked in a broom closet for several hours for disruptive behavior back when I was a little guy (6-7 years old) in the late 60's.

I took it for granted. I was behaving badly. Nowadays, they probably would have put me on Ritalin. But I turned out reasonably okay -- graduated from university; obtained an advanced degree; became a professional.

Back then, it was understood that you might have to lean on a kid to get his attention. And the kids understood it too: threats only went so far, and rightly so.

What kind of citizen buckles under a mere threat? We'd still be British subjects.

Brutus, it was child abuse and it IS child abuse. Your believing you turned out OK in spite of it does not change the facts.

That so many excuse it and turn a blind eye to it only allows it to keep happening. Gable or a Paterno - child abuse is child abuse whether one steps in and stops it or not. No success in life can make up for ignoring it.

Brutus, it was child abuse and it IS child abuse. Your believing you turned out OK in spite of it does not change the facts.

That so many excuse it and turn a blind eye to it only allows it to keep happening. Gable or a Paterno - child abuse is child abuse whether one steps in and stops it or not. No success in life can make up for ignoring it.

Zelph, what is your definition of child abuse?

------

priceless... Paterno and Gable now compared

zelph... you are a complete jackazz