Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

USA predictions at the Worlds

its only a month before Worlds in Budapest, so I was hoping to get some expert opinions from the international fans on how the USA is going to do (any other predictions also most welcome). I'm no expert but I'll give it a shot. my guess for placements, stated as worst case/most likely/best case for each weight.

55 - Blanc 10/5/3

60 - Humphrey NP/10/5

66 - Metcalf 8/3/2

74 - Burroughs 3/1/1

84 - Gavin NP/10/7

96 - Bergman 10/5/3

120 - Dlagnev 5/3/1

too generous, too harsh? i think it's conceivable that the US only brings home 1 medal but my best guess is 3 or 4. i think handicapping these big international tournaments are quite difficult, since your placement depends so much on your draw and how well your opponents do following a defeat.

Well hopefully they all have the tournament of their lives. And best of luck to all of them. But that being said I am thinking three medals, Metcalf, Dlagnev, should get Silvers or Bronze, Burroughs should win Gold.

If there is anything that we should take away from thoughts,predictions etc..is that it all depends on bracketing. I'm hoping for 3-4 medals but am only really confident in 2.(Burroughs and Metcalf or Dlagnev)

I believe our rank in order from least likely to most likely to medal are as follows

7) Gavin

6) Humphrey

5) Bergman

4) Blanc

3) Metcalf

2) Dlagnev

1) Burroughs

Well Metcalf took 2nd at Yarygin, and wrestled well as the World Cup. Additionally and he just came off a good performance in his last tournament. Also I believe he is wrestling inspired right now and I believe the rule changes benefit him greatly. So I think he is going to work some folks . I know that that his weight class is stacked and it'll be difficult, but I think he is being driven by a sense of redemption which I think will take him to the next level. So I think he is most likely to medal behind Burroughs.

As far Dlagnev is concerned, I think his chances to medal are good. He is always competitive, always in the hunt, however, the brackets are going to have a huge impact on how things unfold. (Just like in any weight class). Hopefully Dlagnev has been training well, and has developed a strategy to deal with some of the guys who have given him some problems in the past.

This is how I believe it will look. The Metcalf prediction may be a little bold but the dude has been unstoppable under the new rules and has only lost two international matches all year (both under the old rules) at the Yarygin Championship and Iran World Cup, which is some of the stoutest competition in the world.

On the flip side Gavin, Humphrey and Bergman have absolutely zero chance at medaling...just the cold hard truth unfortunately.

Burroughs = Gold

Metcalf = Gold

Dlagnev = Bronze

Blanc = 5th

Bergman = DNP

Humphrey = DNP

Gavin = DNP

Perhaps Zeke and the rest of his coaching staff need use how a guy does on an international level, to win a spot on a team. I see a lot of guys who can dominate domestically, however, cannot do so internationally. I am not sure how Russia does it, but year in and year out the Russians usually dominate the competition. At 55 Blanc is clearly our best guy at this weight right now. I think he'll give a good account of himself and has experience at the Worlds and he should win a few matches, but I doubt he will medal. At 60Kg Humpreys also has the experience at the worlds, and like Blanc should give a good account of himself and win some matches, I think something along the lines of 5th thru 9th for both of them. I know this will draw some critisim but I believe Jimmy Kennedy might have been a better pick. (it is unfortunate that Coleman got hurt but we just have to deal with it). At 84Kg Gavin has won the right to represent us at this weight class but I am not seeing it. I think we would be better off with Foster representing us right now. Gavin as far as I know, hasn't done much of anything internationally, so for him to medal he would have to have a phenominal day. But last year Jaime Espinal a journeyman wrestler from Puerto Rico had such a day, so who knows. At 96Kg Bergman has also shown that he is the guy ( due to Varner's absence) but Bergman who has done better than Gavin internationally, but still, I think it's a reach to think he'll medal.

I am more optimistic this year with new rules. We will condition ourselves this year. Everyone needs to train like Metcalf now instead of preparing for a chess match like it was before. I like our chances to compete with Russia, Iran and Azerbaijan for the title.

Blanc 5th

Hump 3rd

Metcalf 2nd/3rd

Burroughs Gold

Gavin DNP might win a match

Bergman 5th

Tervel 2nd/3rd

Will that get us a team Gold. Probably not but I think these new rules will help us.

Guest Hammerlock3

Zeke Jones said Metcalf is gonna win it. Obviously he isn't gonna say anyone is gonna lose, but Jones doesn't make a lot of ridiculous predictions, "7 world champions" talk etc. I think metcalf can compete with anyone.