Sign in to follow this  
jerbufoon

Saitiev Quote on Slay

What would we think of a Russian -- (or, for that matter, an Irish woman swimmer) -- who accomplished such a feat?

Speaking only for myself, I would think "there goes an Olympic gold medalist."

Exactly.

Right but not the best wrestler in history or a record setter or father of modern wrestling and so on. Perhaps he would even be called a bit lucky considering he won silver but the guy with Gold tested positive for drugs..

So which medal did Saitiev win in the 2000 Olympics again? You'll have to refresh my memory.

I don't know Saitiev so I can't speak for him but it seems to me Saitiev was at a disadvantage in a sense that Slay knew of him and had tapes to study him but Saitiev knew nothing about Slay. So after Slay beat Saitiev they both knew each other but then Slay disappeared and became a priest or something. So, Saitiev is saying he never got a chance to properly prepare for Slay and get a revenge because Slay was nowhere to be found.

Saitiev was able to adapt and beat Murtazaliev because Murta kept wrestling so there is no reason Saitiev would not adapt and beat Slay had Slay continued to wrestle. But since he did not why bother thinking about him?

I don't know Saitiev so I can't speak for him but it seems to me Saitiev was at a disadvantage in a sense that Slay knew of him and had tapes to study him but Saitiev knew nothing about Slay. So after Slay beat Saitiev they both knew each other but then Slay disappeared and became a priest or something. So, Saitiev is saying he never got a chance to properly prepare for Slay and get a revenge because Slay was nowhere to be found.

Saitiev was able to adapt and beat Murtazaliev because Murta kept wrestling so there is no reason Saitiev would not adapt and beat Slay had Slay continued to wrestle. But since he did not why bother thinking about him?

I guess Saitiev wasn't prepared to wrestle everybody then. From my count didn't Americans beat vastly superior (on paper) Russians in that Olympics 3x? Slay beat Saitiev who was a world and Olympic champ. Gardner beat Karelin who was an unbeaten world and Olympic champ. Lowney beat Kougashvili who was a world champion.

Guess Russia's world champions who they sent weren't up to the task that year.

I can see where Tripster is coming from on this one. Slay used an innovative (and sneaky) new move in those Olympics where he would attack both legs at the same time. I think he called it a two leg shot or "Double leg." It is not fair that Satiev would have to prepare for this unorthodox move without any video. If Satiev had a year to prepare than I am sure he and all the Russian coaches could have devoted their time to creating counters to the "double leg" attack.

Bottom line is that Slay's repeated use of the "double leg" in his match with Satiev was unexpected (and borderline unfair) and you cannot expect a Russian National champion to know how to defend against the "double leg" without video.

I don't know Saitiev so I can't speak for him but it seems to me Saitiev was at a disadvantage in a sense that Slay knew of him and had tapes to study him but Saitiev knew nothing about Slay.

----

This got me thinking....now I kind of regret not taking on John Smith... I would've had him at a distinct disadvantage.