Sign in to follow this  
carp

BIG newcomers

As we know, 2011-12 was remarkable in the arrival of terrific wrestlers in the BIG (big 10).True freshmen Delgado, Megaludis, Green, Hunter Stieber, Tessari and Storley and RSs Chris Dardanes, Ness, Logan Stieber, Dyland Alton, Mc Mullan and Telford were All-Americans. Significant players included Demas, Evans, Walsh, Nick Dardanes, Sueflohn, Harger, Kokesh Munster, Mc Intosh, and Atwood.

Last year, not so much. If we don't consider Brown and Schiller (who could not break the 2011-12 lineups) there were no rue or redshirt freshmen All-Americans from the BIG in 2012-13. Medbery probably had the best year, finishing 4th at the BIG and not placing at the NCAAs.

Question is what to expect from this years newcomers. My prediction: watch for Clark/Gilman (IA), Reel (MN), Dudley (NE), Tsirtsis, NW), Tavanello (OSU), Gulibon (PSU), Thielke and Jordan (WI)--all redshirts. Among true freshmen--Black and Martinez(IL), Retherford (PSU), and Jordan (OSU), assuming they are starters.

Dudley redshirted last year. Both Dudley & Downey are tough but still unproven in the B1G. Downey had some big freestyle wins- including over Storley & a jr world freestyle silver- but he hasn't had to worry about mat wrestling since 2010 (only wrestled nhsca sr nationals in 11, was at OTC in 12 & 13). Kolb was a 84 at 97 last year but still had close matches with schiller (3-1) and other top 10 guys.

Clark Glass was 21-5 as a RS FR for OU at 165. He could make some noise for the Sooners.

Jordan Rogers isn't the man for sure at 184. I"m Guessing Kyle Crutchmer will bump to 184 and challenge since Perry has his SR year to go. Either one of these two could do good things next year for the Pokes.

The Illini will boast 3 newcomers to their lineup who could make some noise. Zane Richards at 133, Zac Brunson at 157, and Nikko Reyes at 174. Each possess blue-chip prep pedigree including multiple state titles, as well as, HS national titles and each guy has a solid redshirt season under their belt.

There is some talk of Clark going 141 this season for Iowa with Gilman manning 125. I don't see how he could be a full sized 141 already but it may be that he can't hold 125 anymore and Ramos has 133 locked down. If true, can't see Clark having anywhere near the same impact at that weight; will be interesting to see how the lower part of their lineup shakes out.

If this list also means newcomers to the Big Ten, then add Myers and Sheptock.

Neither of whom are exactly newcomers. Maryland will not be wrestling duals with any except Michigan this year and they will not be at the BIG tournament. Which means the Midwest (except for the Midlands) will be spared the obnoxious presence of Robin Ficker.

Can't imagine how I overlooked the Illinois newcomers--I am advised that Richards, Brunson and Reyes are likely starters.

I am curious to see what Quean Smith does as hwt for Iowa State. Was ranked 20th at 285 3 years ago and worked hard to get eligible at Iowa State. He was in the 330 plus weight last year and couldn't wrestle open tourneys. He is now around 290 and strong as an ox. With Jerod Trice coming to Iowa State as a senior level wrestler, this will provide somebody to push and teach Quean. Could be a BIG surprise for the Clones.