Sign in to follow this  
DF

Why do people fight off their back when already teched?

Wrestler's down by 14 and gets turned for 3NF.

The match is over.

But he keeps fighting off his back.

Not only that but people in the crowd cheer him on, like it matters what he does from that point on.

Again, the match is already over.

Explain the rationale behind this behavior.

*I realized sometimes not getting pinned allows your team to win a dual/tournament, but I'm talking about instances where that isn't the case.

Not the only example either. In the Midlands a few years back, Jack Patacsil was having his way with an Oklahoma Wrestler who's name escapes me at the moment. Patacsil was tilting him left and right, built up a 14-0 lead. The Oklahoma Wrestler headlocked and pinned Patacsil with only seconds left in the third period.

Not the only example either. In the Midlands a few years back, Jack Patacsil was having his way with an Oklahoma Wrestler who's name escapes me at the moment. Patacsil was tilting him left and right, built up a 14-0 lead. The Oklahoma Wrestler headlocked and pinned Patacsil with only seconds left in the third period.

I don't think these examples apply. If you are down 14-0 and then get turned for 3 more nearfall, the match is over. You don't get the oppurtunity to try a cement mixer or headlock.

*I realized sometimes not getting pinned allows your team to win a dual/tournament, but I'm talking about instances where that isn't the case.

During most matches, you don't know if the difference between a pin and a tech will be the difference in the dual/tournament.

If someone raises that question, then I question their knowledge of the sport.

Pin is worth 6 in a dual and 2 in a tournament

Tech is worth 5 in a dual and 1.5 in a tournament

Having the pride to not surrendor your shoulders to the mat is priceless

It makes me irate when I see people give up and stop fighting to avoid a pin. Same when someone gets taken down in OT and they just fall to their back and don't attempt to fight it cuz they have already lost.

Getting pinned is worse than getting teched, IMO. We used to get SMOKED in the room if coach caught us on our backs for any reason. It was a cardinal sin to be on your back. There is more dignity in fighting off a plnfall.

I look at guys that NEVER lose in HS who come to college and get pinned, and wonder how it affects them. Take Guilibon for instance, losing by fall to McCormick. Taylor losing to Jenkins. Etc.

Wrestler's down by 14 and gets turned for 3NF.

The match is over.

But he keeps fighting off his back.

Not only that but people in the crowd cheer him on, like it matters what he does from that point on.

Again, the match is already over.

Explain the rationale behind this behavior.

i'll bet you would like squash or baseball/softball. give em a try.

With nobody around for miles and no cell phone, you're hking and suddenly find yourself with a starving 400 pound bear biting off your left arm, what are you going to do? Lay there and scream and cry... or punch the bear in the nose with your right arm/knee/elbow as fast and as hard as you can?

My guess is that most all of us would go out fighting, or at least think we'd try to. Even with basically no chance.

It's part of the attitude that is required to succeed at the high levels in any of the combat sports. Never say die, never give up, and even if you take me out - I'm not going to let you take me out easy.

With nobody around for miles and no cell phone, you're hking and suddenly find yourself with a starving 400 pound bear biting off your left arm, what are you going to do? Lay there and scream and cry... or punch the bear in the nose with your right arm/knee/elbow as fast and as hard as you can?

My guess is that most all of us would go out fighting, or at least think we'd try to. Even with basically no chance.

It's part of the attitude that is required to succeed at the high levels in any of the combat sports. Never say die, never give up, and even if you take me out - I'm not going to let you take me out easy.

when facing a bear, you don't have to be the fastest runner, just faster than DF.

I think the question must have been farcical. The original poster could not have been serious.

In my coaching days, I had a kid who was getting his butt kicked. He was down, I think 13-1 in the 3rd period and somehow came back to beat his opponent on points. That ain't easy. But that other wrestler must have had a bad case of deja vu the following week at another tournament. My kid was wrestling the same kid again, and again the kid was up big, 12-2. My boy came back again and beat him on points.

Just two of the weirdest matches I've ever seen, wrestled in consecutive weeks by the same two kids.

That other kid was probably scarred for life.

But this thread could be addressed in another way. The worst scenario that I've seen in this particular genre was when a kid got thrashed the whole match but kept fighting off of his back. In the last few seconds of the bout he gets turned again. The back points mean it's going to be a tech fall. But at exactly 6 minutes (HS bout) the ref calls the pin. I've seen that several times. That's a horrible way to lose.

Team point issue. Pinfall is worth more than a Techfall. If the team getting turned and in jeopardy of getting pinned is a half point ahead in the team point standings over the team attempting to score a pin there could be incentive to not get pinned.

I think the question must have been farcical. The original poster could not have been serious.

A few here are missing DF's actual question. The situation he presented had the match already being over (down 14-0 already and then being turned for 3 more points) so there is no chance for the comebacks that some are mentioning to occur. If the wrestler escapes being pinned in the presented situation, the whistle blows and the match is terminated due to a technical fall.

DF also mentioned that he was not talking about situations where preventing the pin would help your team win the dual. He's talking about the particular situation where you have already lost the match by at least a technical fall, and the winner of the dual meet is already decided.

A few here are missing DF's actual question. The situation he presented had the match already being over (down 14-0 already and then being turned for 3 more points) so there is no chance for the comebacks that some are mentioning to occur. If the wrestler escapes being pinned in the presented situation, the whistle blows and the match is terminated due to a technical fall.

DF also mentioned that he was not talking about situations where preventing the pin would help your team win the dual. He's talking about the particular situation where you have already lost the match by at least a technical fall, and the winner of the dual meet is already decided.

I didn't miss the point of his question. I just thought it was ridiculous or just a trolly kind of middle of the summer waste of time.

There is never a reason to give up and accept a pin. If you think that it's reasonable to do so, try basketball.

Thank you for understanding and setting everyone straight, Mr. Superold. It's as if people didn't even read (or understand) the premise of the original post but just responded with the same old knee jerk responses.

The guy fighting off the pin has already lost. There ain't no fluke cement mixer or last ditch throw on the agenda. Also getting pinned or teched will have no effect on his team's dual/tourney chances.

Nobody's provided a rational justification for fighting off the pin. It's like saying you should still play to win at the 2 minute warning when you're down by 5 touchdowns, to keep playing to win during the last minute of injury time in soccer when you're down by 5 goals, to keep running as if you're gonna win the marathon when the first place guy has already crossed the finish line a few miles ahead of you, etc. Makes no sense.

Thank you for understanding and setting everyone straight, Mr. Superold. It's as if people didn't even read (or understand) the premise of the original post but just responded with the same old knee jerk responses.

The guy fighting off the pin has already lost. There ain't no fluke cement mixer or last ditch throw on the agenda. Also getting pinned or teched will have no effect on his team's dual/tourney chances.

Nobody's provided a rational justification for fighting off the pin. It's like saying you should still play to win at the 2 minute warning when you're down by 5 touchdowns, to keep playing to win during the last minute of injury time in soccer when you're down by 5 goals, to keep running as if you're gonna win the marathon when the first place guy has already crossed the finish line a few miles ahead of you, etc. Makes no sense.

You are absolutely right, DF. Who cares about pride?

Actually the offensive wrestler can still loose in that situation. It is amazing to me how many otherwise informed members of the wrestling community have never actually read the rule book.

Go look it up, and while you're at it read the whole book.

A quick note here is that this is comment based upon the NHSF rules which in this case I assume to be the same. I don't work college and have never read that book in detail. But then I don't profess to know everything about the college book.