Sign in to follow this  
scribe

So this video review thing..

Not a bad idea...given that they keep the limits on the # of total challenges available. There are some awful calls that should 100% be reversed, and this (the way it is written) seems aimed perfectly at fixing those calls.

If it works out the way it is written, I think it could be very beneficial.

Thinking about it, this issue would be a rather large topic if not overshadowed by the National Duals proposal. Video review amounts to a substantial lung timeout.

Scribe, Once in a dual ....

Not going to have any significant effect on the outcome of the Dual. And if you really think about it ... It's going to be initiated by a coach for a "Bad Call" by the ref ... which has no correlation to the lack of wind for any any particular wrestler... Coaches are not going to throw that away, for some kid who is gassing.

Think it through.

It's long over due IMO.

Can we even imagine the outcomes that would have been changed at the NCAA's over the years???

Lots of TD's called OUT or even IN, that were not the case.

Definitely the Ohio State vs Michigan dual meet last season could have used video review. A case like the end of the Stieber / Oliver championship match could have benefited from video review. I have no idea how review would have interpreted the call in that match as it was very close either way. I can see situations where having additional interpretation and a 2nd look, perhaps in slow motion could be useful. I like that they're proposing a test run, that it's not mandatory (like optional starting weight classes), and see the value in limiting the review process. Both teams usually have a videographer at every event filming for training purposes and I'm sure the guys at Flo would be happy to help out.

The video operator is allowed to be present to help the review.

"During a review, this area is restricted for all persons except the system operator and match referees."

The intent here is to not have coaches huddled around the camera giving their two cents.

The video operator is allowed to be present to help the review.

"During a review, this area is restricted for all persons except the system operator and match referees."

The intent here is to not have coaches huddled around the camera giving their two cents.

That's not what it says in the outcome section of the same link but I see what you say. I'm sure they'll make that more consistent.

Gimp,

I also see what you are saying. I was at the one of the clinics last weekend and that came up. I guarantee one of the first things I will ask is "who is the video operator and do you you know how to work it?"

If they expect us to to fumble around with a camera to get to the challenge, we'll have 5 hour duals meets because I have no idea how to work that stuff.

To be honest, I think this rule is a good thing for wrestling but I also thing think coaches are going to bully refs into looking at video on their own to save their "official" challenge. I can hear it know, "Hey ref, check out the tape...you can do it anytime you want." I think the refs will get badgered pretty hard. Hopefully, if a ref is confident and gets badgered, he will warn the coach or bench for control of the mat area.

A coach may ask the referee to stop the match for a challenge by approaching the scorer’s table when there is no significant action and requesting that the match be stopped.

>>> How do you judge "no significant action?" What's stopping a wrestler from creating their own "insignificant action" when they see their coaches approaching the table.