Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

US bids for 2024?

I know they're going to announce who gets 2020 this weekend, and the US has sent out questionnaires to several cities to see who the USOC will back for the 2024 bid. My choice (and I'm a little biased) is Phoenix.

Argument for: World class sports facilities, and more coming. USA Basketball is moving their headquarters here, and building an arena for games, among other facilities. Arizona State University is building an amateur sports complex/campus along the lake that will be roughly where the Karsten golf course is now, along with a 300 million dollar renovation of Sun Devil Stadium, which has already hosted the Super Bowl once. University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale has hosted one and is one of the nicer indoor facilities that exists. Grand Canyon University built a state of the art arena 2 years ago. Scottsdale has world class equestrian facilities already. Rowing and sailing could be contested in a number of large lakes that surround Phoenix. Most of the facilities needed are already in place or would need to be renovated to host certain sports.

Argument against: The weather. It gets very hot here during the summer months and doesn't really start to cool down sometimes until October. This could negatively affect outdoor sports that cannot be held indoors, like marathoners, bike road racers, track and field, golf, rugby 7's, shooting events, and boating/sailing.

Non weather problems: Transportation and a lack of infrastructure. It took almost a decade to get 13 miles of light rail built. We're notoriously bad at being able to plan and get things started on time and on schedule. We would need massive changes and additions to be able to have that many people here. The good news is we have the hotel rooms and space for everybody, and then some.

Venues: Most of the existing stadiums and arenas would be fine as is. The only problem would be the lack of a true Olympic stadium. UofP stadium is a dome and the IOC has said you can't have that. Sun Devil would be out too because there's no track and the renovation may reduce seating capacity. My suggestion would be to build a temporary stadium in south Phoenix along the banks of the Salt River, and after the games convert it into a park by removing most of the major pieces. Soccer and rugby could be played among several different places. UofP, Sun Devil, Chase Field, are the big 3. If you had to go outdoors, Scottsdale Stadium and several other places for spring training could be used. The indoor sports could be divided among several indoor venues. Basketball could be held at the USA Basketball facility, with the finals being moved to a larger venue. Wrestling could be at Wells Fargo Arena (where ASU wrestles), or at Grand Canyon. Also the Phoenix Convention Center (which has hosted MMA and wrestling) could be used, as well as Comerica Theater (MMA and boxing), and Veterans Memorial Coliseum could be used as well, though it would need a renovation. Glendale Arena is also there (where the Coyotes play).

Transportation: Fortunately Sky Harbor Airport is pretty busy volume wise, so tons of people coming here wouldn't be an issue. Them getting around while they're here might be. We do cater to tourists here a lot, but if they all came at once like they would for the Olympics, somebody may hit the panic button. It'd be good for local car rental companies though. Public transportation here absolutely sucks. Everything here is far away from everything else (kind of like LA). The good news is also bad news, but is also good news. The good news is that we're trying to fix it, the bad news is our government is crazy and would rather argue about light bulbs and UN conspiracy theories than solve problems. The good news about that is if they're motivated by the Olympics, then spending to make serious infrastructure upgrades would be very easy to do. They'd need to at least quadruple (a low estimate) the mileage of light rail tracks so that they could reach all of the venues.

Heat and infrastructure will kill their bid IMO. Sucks because Phoenix is pretty cool.

The heat really isn't that bad. It sucks sometimes, but at night it's actually pretty nice. Though I don't see them running the marathon in the dark but they can do some track and field in the evening. Plus aren't they holding the World Cup in Qatar where it gets to be 120+ during the day? Or when they held the Olympics in Vancouver how the warm weather was causing problems there. The infrastructure is mostly in place, they'd just have to spend a lot to improve the transportation system, and with the right incentive, a billion dollar event like the Olympics, it'd get done.

I'd certainly welcome an olympics in Phoenix but I don't think it will ever happen. the IOC has shown a proclivity to pick host cities based on a specific narrative. they either want to expand the games into new territory or fall back to a established, global city in a developed country. New York, LA, Chicago, San Fran and DC are probably the only cities that have a chance in the US of hosting any time within our lifetimes. Inida, South East Asia and Africa have all yet to host a games and i'm sure are targeted as growth markets for the olympics.

so personally i'd be thrilled to have the games anywhere in the US, i dont see the IOC going for a second tier (no offense!) city in an established market.

here is a pretty article about the 2020 candidates from the wsj. notice the emphasis on the olympic "narrative" in making the decision.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 74450.html

i personally hope they pick Istanbul. i've been to all 3 cities and they'll all great, i just think Istanbul has more to offer than people realize and the olympics, despite all their BS, would be a great showcase for the city.

and as for Qatar hosting the world cup, that was such an absurd, blatant case of FIFA getting paid off by a rich oil monarch, it defies comprehension. there's scuttlebutt that the weather will be so oppressive that they are going to try and move the tournament to the fall, which will disrupt all major european professional leagues, which will lead to boycott, which may lead to the US hosting as a last resort, since the US has literally dozens of massive, state of the art football stadiums that lie mostly vacant throughout the summer.

Atlanta got it. That is still surprising to me. They should try Denver. Shouldn't have to be a huge city..ie Lake Placid.

i agree, it shouldnt have to be a huge city. i also think any city in america with the will to host could put on an outstanding games (Phoenix, Denver, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, Charlotte, Miami, Houston, Nashville, etc, the list "possible" cities is a long one!). i just wouldn't hold out hope for the IOC feeling the same way.

Atlanta got it. That is still surprising to me. They should try Denver. Shouldn't have to be a huge city..ie Lake Placid.

Denver is probably permanently off the list of ever bidding for the Olympics again because of their history with the IOC. They were actually awarded the games for 1976, but because the residents threw a major protest about it they actually declined to host 2 or 3 years after they'd won the bid. The IOC moved them to Inssbruck, Austria.

The IOC has held the summer games in some places that aren't exactly "major" cities. Phoenix is the same size as Barcelona (roughly), the metropolitan area has the same population as the Sydney metropolitan area. It's the 6th (or 5th) largest city in the United States and the most populated capital city in the US too.

The IOC has held the summer games in some places that aren't exactly "major" cities. Phoenix is the same size as Barcelona (roughly), the metropolitan area has the same population as the Sydney metropolitan area. It's the 6th (or 5th) largest city in the United States and the most populated capital city in the US too.

Phoenix is the 13th largest metro area in the US (tho it is one of the faster growing metropolises).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Me ... ical_Areas

I'm not trying to convince you that Phoenix isn't a great city, just that being the regional capital of the SW US (excluding Texas and California) probably won't count for much in the eyes of the IOC.

internationally, Pheonix' peers are probably those found on this list, deeply ensconced in the 3rd teir of global cities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cities

again, no offense intended to Phoenix, i'm just trying to provide perspective from the eyes of an IOC voter, who will more likely have heard of Leeds, UK; Lyon, France; or Valencia, Spain than Phoenix, Arizona.

Phoenix is the 13th largest metro area in the US (tho it is one of the faster growing metropolises).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Me ... ical_Areas

I'm not trying to convince you that Phoenix isn't a great city, just that being the regional capital of the SW US (excluding Texas and California) probably won't count for much in the eyes of the IOC.

internationally, Pheonix' peers are probably those found on this list, deeply ensconced in the 3rd teir of global cities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cities

again, no offense intended to Phoenix, i'm just trying to provide perspective from the eyes of an IOC voter, who will more likely have heard of Leeds, UK; Lyon, France; or Valencia, Spain than Phoenix, Arizona.

Funny how on that list Phoenix Metropolitan Area is larger than Detroit (which has finished as runner up twice bidding for the games) and Denver (which was awarded the winter games). Much larger than many other cities which are mulling over a bid, including San Diego, Las Vegas, and Oklahoma City. Also Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the United States and has the highest growth rate among the top 6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

As far as being well know, Phoenix is very. We've hosted many internationally known events, and have attracted plenty of foreign investment (one of the major resorts here has been owned by a Kuwaiti consortium since the 80's).

When it comes to the 2020 Games, it's a three-way race between Madrid, Istanbul, and Tokyo. The safe bet is Madrid. Turkey has not been stable lately. Further, neighboring Greece is an economic turmoil, and neighboring Syria is in the middle of a civil war. Tokyo is also being looked at with suspicion due to the Fukushima disaster.

As for Phoenix hosting the 2024 summer Games. First, as I said, Phoenix has not shown interest. That's the first hurdle. Second, Phoenix is only in the 13th largest metropolitan statistical area in the US, with 4.3 million. That said, I don't think it's too small to host the summer games. It's big enough. The heat shouldn't be an issue, either. I imagine they'd hold outdoor events in the mountains of northern Arizona. The biggest problem is the US has hosted eight times already, more than any other country. Lots of other countries want an opportunity, and they should get it.

Funny how on that list Phoenix Metropolitan Area is larger than Detroit (which has finished as runner up twice bidding for the games) and Denver (which was awarded the winter games). Much larger than many other cities which are mulling over a bid, including San Diego, Las Vegas, and Oklahoma City. Also Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the United States and has the highest growth rate among the top 6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

As far as being well know, Phoenix is very. We've hosted many internationally known events, and have attracted plenty of foreign investment (one of the major resorts here has been owned by a Kuwaiti consortium since the 80's).

i still think a olympics bid by Phoenix would be a big waste of time and money, but i'd also be rooting for them if they gave it a shot!

i still think a olympics bid by Phoenix would be a big waste of time and money, but i'd also be rooting for them if they gave it a shot!

I think a bid by Baku is a waste of time. Nobody wants to go to Azerbaijan. I remember how everybody complained when worlds were held there. Phoenix isn't really crime ridden, is a big tourist destination anyway, and has plenty of entertainment and other things to do.

I think a bid by Baku is a waste of time. Nobody wants to go to Azerbaijan. I remember how everybody complained when worlds were held there. Phoenix isn't really crime ridden, is a big tourist destination anyway, and has plenty of entertainment and other things to do.

agreed, the Baku bid is a waste of time and money :)