Sign in to follow this  
armspin

2013 Sr World predictions

Let's hear them. This is going to be a wide open field (Burroughs is the only heavy favorite IMO) and while I have my picks I'm not confident in them at all.

55: Israpilov . I picked him because: he has been on a tear, just about teching everyone at the nationals and the University games. I am nervous because: those tournaments happened in Russia, and Israpilov typically wrestles much better at home.

60: Gomex . I picked him because: crap shoot IMO. I'm nervous because: Khinegashvlli, the Russian and probably others are just as good.

66: Taghavi. I picked him because: best guy currently competing based on results, I am hoping he changes his style to more offense with these new rules . I am nervous because: lots of other tough guys even with the weight thinning out I'll be pulling like crazy for Garcia to get it done this year.

74: Burroughs. I picked him because: he's the best freestyler on Earth. I am nervous because: while his division is not that tough this year, the match-ending-throws rules give Khubetzy a shot.

84: Lashgari. I picked him because: he's a beast. Just about won it last year. I am nervous because: he's fighting injury and if he can't go I have no clue who to pick.

96: Boltukaev. I picked him because:what a run at the Russian Nationals! Also, Yazdani and Gayzuov had injury and gas tank issues respectively last year. I am nervous because: he's apparently lost several practice matches in Russia lately, and the other two guys mentioned have been coming on strong.

120:Akgul. I picked him because:crap shoot IMO; he seems to be winning this year. I am nervous because: when it comes to heavyweight I can't keep them straight for some reason and so I really have no idea. Kind of hoping Gatsalov or Geno (jr world champ) win.

At this point I am just hoping we can attend. In 2002 I believe we were held out due to safety concerns. And if this stuff in Syria blows up, who knows. I know the tournament in in Budapest, but you never know.

what would Syria have to do with Budapest? Do you think Hungary is in the Middle East?

At this point I am just hoping we can attend. In 2002 I believe we were held out due to safety concerns. And if this stuff in Syria blows up, who knows. I know the tournament in in Budapest, but you never know.

what would Syria have to do with Budapest? Do you think Hungary is in the Middle East?

Hahaha

Would love to see the brackets first, then pick the final four (semi-finalists), champions, medalists, etc.

Unfortunately the brackets don't come out until weigh-ins are completed.

Having brackets out before a tournament is key to building hype for the tournament. You need brackets, and you need seeding. Those things create conversation in the build-up to the event.

de4856 has a legit post - Airport security will create nasty delays if Syria blows up. Travelers should check with airports becuase the security scans/checks may take longer. You may be asked to arrive at airport way before your flight. You will miss your flight if you are delayed in security.

de4856 has a legit post - Airport security will create nasty delays if Syria blows up. Travelers should check with airports becuase the security scans/checks may take longer. You may be asked to arrive at airport way before your flight. You will miss your flight if you are delayed in security.

He was questioning whether the US team will be held out of competition.

We'll go unless the Syrian issue moves beyond its borders. When the Worlds were hosted in Kiev (obviously Soviet Union then) in 83, we went to the tournament despite the fact that Russia shot down a Korean airliner with Americans (including a US congressman) aboard. The US boycotted flights into Russia, so the team arrived by train from Budapest to compete. Dave Schultz won his World Gold medal there.

I agree none of these weights have an overwhelming favorite with the exception of Burroughs at 74.

Maybe, just maybe this could be the year Russia does not win the team title? Their results and medal haul the last 2 years have been down by their standards (great by anyone else's, but still), 4 medals each time out as opposed to their usual 6 or 7. You have to think the US, Iran and Azerbijian all have a legit shot at 4 medals as well. With random draws, who knows what could happen.

That being said, I still think Russia pulls it out. Their team is young and unproven, but everyone was unproven at one point or another. Just because they are sending new faces doesn't mean the expectations will be any different. I don't think they will dominate like they did in '07 or '10, but all 7 of their guys are real medal threats, I don't know how many have a real shot at gold, but I'll agree with the op and say 55 and 96 goes to Russia, if for nothing else than recent history at those weights for them.

Like a lot of others on here I think Metcalf has a real shot at gold. The new format, the way he's been wrestling and the something to prove attitude, I think it could all come together for him. Dlagnev also has a shot if he can put it all together in one tournament. He has beaten world and Olympic champs, just not at the right time, he has shown he is in the mix every time out, hopefully for him he puts it all together here. Blanc has a good shot to medal as well, and if Humohrey and Bergamn could steal a few wins, the team could be in a position to give Russia a run.

A decent breakdown overall from the Mat for the Worlds, but I feel that you missed the boat at 84 and 96 with no mention of Lashgari or Yazdani. Arguments could be made that these are the best in the world at their respective weights.

The Black Panther Reza Yazdani will be the rep. for Iran at Worlds. He beat people up at the wrestle offs in August (including the guy who beat Bergman at Rumble on the Rails (Tatari). He is recovered and is bloodthirsty.

MA Wrestler, apologies, but what is the OP?

The Black Panther Reza Yazdani will be the rep. for Iran at Worlds. He beat people up at the wrestle offs in August (including the guy who beat Bergman at Rumble on the Rails (Tatari). He is recovered and is bloodthirsty.

MA Wrestler, apologies, but what is the OP?

Original poster.

Sorry, I thought when I read thru the entries on theopenmat.com they listed someone else as the Iranian entry at 96. Maybe it's been updated?

I'd love to see a 100% healthy Yadzani vs Gaymazov, here's hoping that happens!

Theu wrestled at the world cup last year. No points were scored (all clinches and penalties) and they almost got into a fight. Yazdani won.

The only reason I'm not picking Yazdani to win is uncertainty about his health, he is arguably the favorite. Gayzumov is a guy who is going to take full advantage of the quickie tech with his ankle lace series; hopefully his lungs don't explode again like they did at the Olympics.

Theu wrestled at the world cup last year. No points were scored (all clinches and penalties) and they almost got into a fight. Yazdani won.

The only reason I'm not picking Yazdani to win is uncertainty about his health, he is arguably the favorite. Gayzumov is a guy who is going to take full advantage of the quickie tech with his ankle lace series; hopefully his lungs don't explode again like they did at the Olympics.

the best was the head smack at the end of the match