Sign in to follow this  
DF

If pinning is the greatest accomplishment and Cael is...

...considered the greatest college wrestler ever, then how do you explain Mr. Sanderson intentionally letting opponents off their backs multiple times during matches so he could go for the tech/major decision when he could have just pinned them?

...considered the greatest college wrestler ever, then how do you explain Mr. Sanderson intentionally letting opponents off their backs multiple times during matches so he could go for the tech/major decision when he could have just pinned them?

Winning is the greatest accomplishment, pinning is nice but it's a distant #2 to winning. Many great teams of the past (Okie State 50s/60s) rarely worked for the pin.

Seems like I've stumped the great thinkers, and fervent defenders of the pin, with this keen hypothesis. If you postulate that the pin is the ultimate victory, and the greatest wrestler intentionally rejected the pin for the tech/major decision, how can your theory be so?

Look, Cael is better than you or anyone you ever knew, wrestled for, wrestled against, or rooted for. Let's just call it for what it is, you're jealous. This being the internet, it is where you came to vent.

OK - if Cael wanted the pInfall, he would have taken it. Who else has or has had the straight up swagger necessary to toy with a legit div 1 opponent like a cat toying with mouse before he devours it? Do you think Josh Lambrecht had Cael's agenda in mind? That is my case in point. Nothing ever came back on Cael, even going at half speed.

Unlike you, DF, Cael can actually win at half speed.

Possibly the postion he had them in at the time of release was not conducive to get a pin, so releasing was his way of getting that opportunity to get them into position to going for the fall.

Astute theory, good sir. However I do believe your premise is slightly flawed because in a lot of matches he had them in prime pinning position but still let them off their backs and proceeded to a less conducive position for a pin (such as a tilt) to rack up points for the tech/major decision. Thank you though for attempting to explain this conundrum by using reason, instead of attacking the messenger like some others have resorted to because they can't argue their position.

Unlike you, DF, Cael can actually win at half speed.

Incorrect. I won my state title at far less than half speed. I was so exhausted in OT that the assistant referee had to help me back to center mat, a la Dorando Pietri being helped across the finish line in the 1908 Olympic marathon by a heavily mustached gentleman.

Dorando-Pietri-007.jpg

The heavily mustached gentleman is Jack Andrew (aka "Indefatigable Jack"), the British official in charge of the 1908 Olympic marathon. While he definitely appears to be helping Dorando Pietri across the finish line in the above photo, he disputed that claim in an August, 1908, issue of The Polytechnic Magazine:

As regards the actual finish, most of the reports of same are absolutely erroneous regards my assisting the winner - the doctor's instructions were emphatic, carrying them out caused disqualification; as the animated photographs show, I only caught Dorando as he was falling at the tape. What I did then I would do again under similar circumstances.

The doctor referenced by Jack Andrew was Dr. Michael Bulger, the medical officer in charge of the marathon. (He is the heavy-set gentleman in the tweed suit and newsboy cap - on Pietri's left in the photo.) While both Andrew and Bulger were cited for assisting Pietri, it appears that "Indefatigable Jack" did so reluctantly and only upon the orders of Dr. Bulger. Nearly 50 years later, Andrew's daughter was sorting through her late father's papers and discovered another of his accounts of the race:

As Dorando reached the track he staggered and after a few yards fell. I kept would-be helpers at bay, but Dr Bulger went to his assistance. I warned him that this would entail disqualification, but he replied that although I was in charge of the race, I must obey him. Each time Dorando fell I had to hold his legs while the doctor massaged him to keep his heart beating. Each time he arose we kept our arms in position behind (not touching him) to prevent him falling on his head, and as he reached the tape he fell back on our arms.

Below is film footage that shows Pietri entering the stadium (at about :44) and initialing turning in the wrong direction. After being re-directed, he collapses and two men can be seen reviving him (much as described by Jack Andrew). Finally, Pietri is able to make a final dash to the finish line and it does appear that "Indefatigable Jack" is not actually touching him at that time, IMO.

The heavily mustached gentleman is Jack Andrew (aka "Indefatigable Jack"), the British official in charge of the 1908 Olympic marathon. While he definitely appears to be helping Dorando Pietri across the finish line in the above photo, he disputed that claim in an August, 1908, issue of The Polytechnic Magazine:

As regards the actual finish, most of the reports of same are absolutely erroneous regards my assisting the winner - the doctor's instructions were emphatic, carrying them out caused disqualification; as the animated photographs show, I only caught Dorando as he was falling at the tape. What I did then I would do again under similar circumstances.

The doctor referenced by Jack Andrew was Dr. Michael Bulger, the medical officer in charge of the marathon. (He is the heavy-set gentleman in the tweed suit and newsboy cap - on Pietri's left.)

While both Andrew and Bulger were cited for assisting Pietri, it appears that "Indefatigable Jack" did so reluctantly and only to the extent he was ordered to by Dr. Bulger. Nearly 50 years later, Andrew's daughter was sorting through her late father's papers and discovered his account of the race:

As Dorando reached the track he staggered and after a few yards fell. I kept would-be helpers at bay, but Dr Bulger went to his assistance. I warned him that this would entail disqualification, but he replied that although I was in charge of the race, I must obey him. Each time Dorando fell I had to hold his legs while the doctor massaged him to keep his heart beating. Each time he arose we kept our arms in position behind (not touching him) to prevent him falling on his head, and as he reached the tape he fell back on our arms.

Below is film footage that shows Pietri entering the stadium (at about :44) and initialing turning in the wrong direction. After being re-directed, he collapses and two men can be seen reviving him (much as described by Jack Andrew). Finally, Pietri is able to make a final dash to the finish line and it does appear that "Indefatigable Jack" is not actually touching him at that time, IMO.

Seems like I've stumped the great thinkers, and fervent defenders of the pin, with this keen hypothesis. If you postulate that the pin is the ultimate victory, and the greatest wrestler intentionally rejected the pin for the tech/major decision, how can your theory be so?

It's obvious and you know the answer already -- it was too easy to pin them. He needed/wanted a workout, the way a cat plays with a mouse.