Sign in to follow this  
Wahawk90

Hate to beat a dead horse...

But, there has been a lot of talk about building the casual fan base and ESPN broadcasting the duals. I think it starts here...as important this has been to us,there has been zero national stories about this. Nothing on ESPN, nothing on Outside The Lines, no PTI, etc.

When we are talking about making a major change with no media coverage outside of wrestling media, just adding the duals to ESPN won't change anything.

Unless college wrestling becomes college MMA, there will never be a casual fan base. Let's just try to accept that. Just imagine if a water polo enthusiast thought it was possible to build a casual fan base around water polo. You would not think it was realistic.

But, there has been a lot of talk about building the casual fan base and ESPN broadcasting the duals. I think it starts here...as important this has been to us,there has been zero national stories about this. Nothing on ESPN, nothing on Outside The Lines, no PTI, etc.

When we are talking about making a major change with no media coverage outside of wrestling media, just adding the duals to ESPN won't change anything.

I thought I posted this already, but will try again -

Warhawk.....you are not beating a dead horse, and the above feeds into one of my major concerns. Assuming that there is a television contract in the works with ESPN, it would seem like the NCAA would like to keep this quieter. This way they can negotiate as though they are "saving wrestling" vs. "partnering with NWCA/National Duals", thus getting a bigger piece of the pie. Just a theory, albeit not a novel one at that!

In all of the talk of getting more coverage from ESPN, there is no talk at all about where the money from espn is going. Why can't the NWCA negotiate a contract with ESPN broadcast the duals and have some revenue sharing among the teams that place in order to help them become self sufficient. THAT'S THE BEST IDEA THAT I HAVE HEARD.

In all of the talk of getting more coverage from ESPN, there is no talk at all about where the money from espn is going. Why can't the NWCA negotiate a contract with ESPN broadcast the duals and have some revenue sharing among the teams that place in order to help them become self sufficient. THAT'S THE BEST IDEA THAT I HAVE HEARD.

If its an NCAA Championship, the NCAA gets the money - end of discussion. Football bowl games are outside the NCAA, so the money can be distributed differently. If the event stayed a strictly NWCA Championship, then they could divide money however they want, but as soon as it is the sanction NCAA Championship they cannot.

There is no way Emmert is using TV money to help "save" programs. They already feel benevolent just by allowing sports like wrestling to remain a sanctioned sport. The NCAA will keep the money and do whatever they want to with it. We have zero leverage.

If its an NCAA Championship, the NCAA gets the money - end of discussion. Football bowl games are outside the NCAA, so the money can be distributed differently. If the event stayed a strictly NWCA Championship, then they could divide money however they want, but as soon as it is the sanction NCAA Championship they cannot.

There is no way Emmert is using TV money to help "save" programs. They already feel benevolent just by allowing sports like wrestling to remain a sanctioned sport. The NCAA will keep the money and do whatever they want to with it. We have zero leverage.

This would be a different situation if we involved the NCAA with the National Duals, either as a partner or as a sanctioning body. Bear in mind that the National Duals were developed by the NWCA and in (at least an abstract way) is the property of NWCA. Therefore, sharing of revenues between the NCAA and NWCA would not be inappropriate under these circumstances. Hopefully, some of the NWCA members will look at this the same way so that wrestling can reap some of the benefits.

This would be a different situation if we involved the NCAA with the National Duals, either as a partner or as a sanctioning body. Bear in mind that the National Duals were developed by the NWCA and in (at least an abstract way) is the property of NWCA. Therefore, sharing of revenues between the NCAA and NWCA would not be inappropriate under these circumstances. Hopefully, some of the NWCA members will look at this the same way so that wrestling can reap some of the benefits.

No, it wouldn't. The duals are already sanctioned by the NCAA, and the NWCA can do whatever it wants with the money. As soon as it becomes an NCAA Championship, they get the money (and foot the bill for getting the participants there, etc.) - end of story. The NCAA keeps the money it makes from NCAA championships in all sports. There is no negotiation.

Truthfully, the NWCA doesn't really have any leverage anyway. The NCAA could change the format without the NWCA if it wanted.

This is a likely the situation. The NCAA covets the football bowl money and will not make that mistake again. Once again, it is about attracting the casual fan (to the TV set, not the arena) by involving their favorite school in the process. For example, I will watch an Oregon baseball game on TV even though I hate the fact that baseball replaced wrestling in Eugene. Diehard Duck fan. That's what they are hoping for. Heck, beach volleyball is about the most boring game alive, but the potential TV audience is everyone that likes to see hot women jump around in bikinis. Kind of like socially acceptable mud wrestling.

Nascar built its fan base on being accessible to fans...wrestling could learn a lot of Nascar...

Notice the NCAA Championships is essentially a long party weekend...make the regular season dual meets like that and you will get more attendance at them...

Nascar built it's fan base in the south with short track racing. Nascar abandoned the short tracks for the cookie cutter 1.5 mile super speedway. Their events don't sell out any more, although Nascar sold out the fans quite some time ago. But hey, they have a chase now!

Wrestling could learn a lot from Nascar, don't change the things that made the sport great to appease the general population. Because the general population doesn't care about North Wilkes Boro or the Wilkes open.