Sign in to follow this  
HotRocks05

High schoolers ever back in open tournaments?

Marsteller doesn't even go to the more competitive High school tournaments.

How ignorant you really are.

Chance went to a college open in 8th grade and beat college wrestlers. He is a 3 time PA champ, beating multiple other PA champs, and you sit behind your keyboard and put down a high school kid.

What an absolute pathetic-insecure-loser you must really be in person. Chance is more of a man than you have been or ever will be... and he is still in high school.

It is sad that you are so insecure that his success bothers you so much.

Guest Hammerlock3

lol, calm down dude.

When it comes to Marsteller, you're an absolute terrorist with some people if you act like it's a given he's the best wrestler in the country.

lol, calm down dude.

When it comes to Marsteller, you're an absolute terrorist with some people if you act like it's a given he's the best wrestler in the country.

Chance went to a college open in 8th grade and beat college wrestlers. He is a 3 time PA champ, beating multiple other PA champs, and you sit behind your keyboard and put down a high school kid.

What an absolute pathetic-insecure-loser you must really be in person. Chance is more of a man than you have been or ever will be... and he is still in high school.

Guest Hammerlock3

What are you talking about dude. May I ask what about what I said was so bad? I don't dislike Marsteller I think he's great. I do enjoy annoying his fans because if anything has been proven by this topic, they are a little insecure.

lol, calm down dude.

He was 1-2. I thought at the time he was in 7th grade but it was the fall of 2009 so I guess it was 8th grade.

I agree that 8th grade was too young but the NCAA went overboard by blocking all high school wrestlers. Restricting participation to 17 years old or higher would of made a lot more sense, imo.

Or if you don't limit it that way, you could limit it to them entering the frosh/soph brackets only since a lot of opens have those brackets now.

Those are also good ideas and just more evidence that if the NCAA wanted to, they could of actually put some thought into it and came up a plan that accomplished their goal (preventing injuries) while still keeping the door open to high school wrestlers. Instead they took the lazy way out and barred everyone. It really is a shame because these open tournaments are a good way for blue chips to test themselves against college competition and their entry also creates a buzz for the tournament. I remember watching the Alton brothers and James Green at the East Stroudsburg Open a few years ago and they provided a ton of extra excitement to the day.

The other issue with high schoolers is that it presents more wrestlers who fall outside of Division I in the open tournaments, which poses problems when it comes to tournament qualification time (match counts, rankings, etc).

Then you hit the perception issue: facing a high school wrestler is a zero-positive outcome for the college wrestler. Win, you're supposed to; lose, you've become a story. Not withstanding any contextualization.

Those are also good ideas and just more evidence that if the NCAA wanted to, they could of actually put some thought into it and came up a plan that accomplished their goal (preventing injuries) while still keeping the door open to high school wrestlers. Instead they took the lazy way out and barred everyone. It really is a shame because these open tournaments are a good way for blue chips to test themselves against college competition and their entry also creates a buzz for the tournament. I remember watching the Alton brothers and James Green at the East Stroudsburg Open a few years ago and they provided a ton of extra excitement to the day.

There was actually quite a bit of talk and discussion about this issue. The problem was not the blue chip wrestlers but scores of high school wrestlers that were entering into the opens. The year that the rule went into place there was one collegiate open that had I think close a 1/3 of the entries were high school wrestlers.

There was actually quite a bit of talk and discussion about this issue. The problem was not the blue chip wrestlers but scores of high school wrestlers that were entering into the opens. The year that the rule went into place there was one collegiate open that had I think close a 1/3 of the entries were high school wrestlers.

Wow. I did not realize that!

On the other hand... in 1990 I entered University Nationals as a high school senior. I believe I was the only high school athlete in the tournament. I won freestyle, and took second or third in Greco (I don't quite recall). That was the last year high school athletes were allowed into the tournament. USA Wrestling made a rule against it, at the behest of the college coaches.

Now, those were the coaches of 24 years ago, and it was a USA Wrestling thing, so it's not quite the same. On the other hand, I don't think the mentality has changed that much. Having tournaments watered down by large numbers of high school wrestlers is a legitimate concern... but some people seem more concerned about having tournaments watered up, and being embarrassed by having their athletes lose to high school kids.

Having too many high school athletes eager to compete against college athletes is a good problem to have, in my view, though good problems are still problems. Perhaps there's an opportunity to create a qualification system, by which a set number of younger athletes can earn the opportunity to compete in collegiate opens. Not allowing any to wrestle up is a problem for our nation developmentally, in my opinion.

When the Oklahoma Open was a big thing (when Stan Abel was coaching at OU). I can remember Andre Metzger wrestling in both the high school (he beat Roger Frizzell in the finals) and the Open Division. Scott Reyna then at Midwest City won the high school division and was one match away from placing in the Open Division.

At the Sunkist International there are always a few high school kids who don't listen and enter. They quickly find out how many levels they are below the Open level freestyle and Greco wrestlers.

Is there any chance a high school wrestler could ever compete in the open collegiate tournaments? What exactly is keeping high schoolers from entering or being allowed to wrestle now?

NCAA Rules. Blame Chase Marsteller.

Really? Do you know if Chance beat anyone of note at any of these open tournaments? I keep hearing the Kolat comparisons yet I haven't seen any meaningful evidence that hints at him being mentioned in the same sentence as Kolat. Everytime I ask for evidence from one of his supporters, I get them countering Kolat's wins at tournamentss like the Midlands with wins over High School kids. If you don't have any answers SetonHallPirate, I don't know who else to ask!

I saw a lot of Cary Kolat in HS (9th -12) and I've seen a lot of Chance Martsellar. It says a lot for Chance that he has been mentioned in the same breath with Kolat.

Still, those that are mentioning him in the same breath should breathe more easily. Marstellar is a GREAT hs wrestler. He's got a phenomenal motor, great balance, and intelligence. I've seen few HS wrestlers to compare to Chance.

However...

Kolat was a force of nature. He went beyond really, really good to scary. The first time I saw him, he was a 9th grader wrestling a senior at the state tournament and I feared for the Senior's life. Seriously. Kolat was an assassin. He was brutally strong and totally aggressive.

Where Chance pushes and pushes until his opponent runs out of gas trying to stop his moves, Kolat was totally uninterested in what his opponent was doing. He dictated the match from the outset. He was going for the pin. Period. Chance is perhaps seeing things from a freestyle POV and goes for take downs, throws in some tilts for seasoning, but is totally happy with a victory by points, (usually a tech, but still). Kolat wanted to pin. If he tore the other kid's head off in the process, well that's the price of victory.

Two great wrestlers, two different styles. Cary Kolat was the best HS wrestler I ever saw. Chance Marstellar is easily in my top 10, maybe top 5.

But he needs to build his resume at the college level. Then we can look back and make a comparison.

There are plenty of HS wrestlers who don't pan out in college. I think Chance will pan out, but time will tell.

Is there any chance a high school wrestler could ever compete in the open collegiate tournaments? What exactly is keeping high schoolers from entering or being allowed to wrestle now?

NCAA Rules. Blame Chase Marsteller.

Really? Do you know if Chance beat anyone of note at any of these open tournaments? I keep hearing the Kolat comparisons yet I haven't seen any meaningful evidence that hints at him being mentioned in the same sentence as Kolat. Everytime I ask for evidence from one of his supporters, I get them countering Kolat's wins at tournamentss like the Midlands with wins over High School kids. If you don't have any answers SetonHallPirate, I don't know who else to ask!

He beat Tom Reynolds (unattached from Penn State, 6-3), lost to Alec Fraser (unattached from UNC-Greensboro, by fall in 4:57), and lost to Cullen Isenberg (unattached from Rutgers, 6-2). That being said, he was in eighth grade at the time! I mean, he hadn't even been to his first high school class yet!