Sign in to follow this  
dutchcountry7

Wresling's biggest secret

Why is it when we try to hype up an event and attract fans we have to include a youth training clinic (or competition) with the event? This is absurd!

Those are your life long fans of tomorrow.

I am going to guess you think this shouldn't have to happen to attract fans, but it is mindless if you don't see the value in including these youth events on the program before the duals.

He does make a number of very good points - but this isn't one of them: "We are a lot more safisticated" ... really needed to hit that spell checker on that one. :)

But seriously, he's pretty much dead on. Wrestling fans, for the most part, only care about friends, family, and champions - and wrestlers are pretty much coached that the only thing that matters is winning. Fans of curent champions don't want to change anything... they want to leave everything exactly as it is - since, it seems to be perfect in their minds.

If you doubt what I'm saying - start a discussion talking about how dedicated and high quality your local D2/D3/NAIA wrestling scene is. Then start another one that is any way negative about Penn State or Iowa. Try another about how we need to make more tournaments important rather than just one big one on one weekend.

From personal experience, I know many who don't attend D1 duals - and some who even cancelled season tickets - because the duals appear to basically not matter. Imagine an NFL where people only watched the playoffs and Superbowl, and the rest of the season didn't matter. If the season is irrelevant, then the season ending tournament will, over time, ultimately end up as irrelevant as well.

When was the last time any of you called into a sports talk show and brought up Wrestling?

I have and have been told "you are only one of 3 in XXX years to ask about it -so we don't cover it because no one is interested".

If they got a half dozen calls a day asking about wrestling topics this would start changing. Even some former wrestlers on national programs admit they would love it if they started getting calls about he sport - but it just does not happen often.

Start making noise and people take notice.

One of wrestling's biggest problems is very few past competitors actually follow the sport once their time is over. I'll never understand that.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine.

I try to get ex-wrestlers back involved as fans of the sport but they inevitably go back to just watching sportcenters basketball/football coverage.

The idea of the author is spot on. Look at in recent years, especially on this thread. If you were not named Kyle Dake or David Taylor, nothing much was said about you. Unless you were being compared to Kyle Dake or David Taylor. Other wrestlers accomplishments were weighed against these wrestlers, which is crazy considering what Taylor and Dake do, very few wrestlers in college history have accomplished and done. To go even further, people bring down Taylor because he isnt up to Dake's standard in their eyes. This is just an example, im not sparking another tiresome Dake and Taylor debate, please dont go there. Please? Anyways, my point being, that we as fans are not satisfied, impressed, or really even intrigued, unless someone is challenging history, or riding a huge hype train. NCAA champs are even cast aside into the shadow of someone "better than them". We spend countless time and posts debating who is better, and bringing stud wrestlers down. Instead of embracing all these wrestlers who are AA's, we simply toss them aside because they never reached the top. Oh he's just a 1x AA? He might be decent. I wouldnt pay him to do a camp though. That is the mentality of the wrestling fan.

Why is it when we try to hype up an event and attract fans we have to include a youth training clinic (or competition) with the event? This is absurd!

Those are your life long fans of tomorrow.

I am going to guess you think this shouldn't have to happen to attract fans, but it is mindless if you don't see the value in including these youth events on the program before the duals.

wrestling camps and clinics have been a staple of the landscape for over 50 years when are we suppose to see the benefits? attendance at events was more popular in the 70s before everyone and their brother had camps and clinics.

it is like the dad who takes his son to watch a pro sport if he goes to lecture his kid on how to be more like the pros they are watching it is a lot less fun than if they just go to enjoy the sport for the sport

never gave it much thought but this poster makes some good points

One of wrestling's biggest problems is very few past competitors actually follow the sport once their time is over. I'll never understand that.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine.

I try to get ex-wrestlers back involved as fans of the sport but they inevitably go back to just watching sportcenters basketball/football coverage.

maybe we should make it more of a relaxed spectator sport

i am always annoyed when i see some high strung dad wearing his wrestling or mma shirt that likes to point out all the things others don't know about the sport really??? who cares just enjoy the match

wrestling has too many egos to let anyone just enjoy the sport

When was the last time any of you called into a sports talk show and brought up Wrestling?

I have and have been told "you are only one of 3 in XXX years to ask about it -so we don't cover it because no one is interested".

If they got a half dozen calls a day asking about wrestling topics this would start changing. Even some former wrestlers on national programs admit they would love it if they started getting calls about he sport - but it just does not happen often.

Start making noise and people take notice.

A while back our local Seattle Sports radio station was asking about the most important sports event in the Seattle sports scene over the years. Well ... The Sonics' Basketball Championship got a lot of calls, yet when I called in (from the car) and mentioned the Owing upset of Gable .... It was Radio Silence !! It was like they never heard of it. I explained that is was one if not the most important College wrestling match in history. And our local guy won... UW Huskies and all of that. They were clueless.

Wire that is a great point.

it is even beyond that. some young coaches think they know so much more than the older coaches.

when i mention that we include gymnastics movements and hip heist drills as part of our warm-ups i get

the we are training for wrestling not gymnastics or so you think you can dance routine.

it really is a cultural problem. the younger generation sometimes thinks they invented the wheel,

bread and cell phones.

Really insightful post... but even in the UFC they don't just celebrate the champions, they celebrate solid, aggressive, technical fights, and after well-fought matches the two guys embrace almost more often then not - something rarely seen in wrestling. There's an enormous amount of competitive respect between fighters who both know through competition how much the other has sacrificed to get where they each are.

One of the only notable moments I can think of when wrestlers even came close to embracing was when Burroughs put his arm around his Iranian opponent on the podium, and immortalized the role wrestling can play in diplomacy and geopolitics.

And even for fans of college wrestling, dynamic of not having a push-out rule changes the sport drastically and allows for strategic and intelligent stalling and for milking positions for stalemates - something freestyle doesn't have. I don't think it's a coincidence that freestyle has the raucous fans it does internationally, while our college duals can often be cricket symphonies.

it's absurd to have youth clinics at major wrestling events? why?

College golf and tennis have worse attendance than wrestling

how many revenue college soccer and baseball programs are there? I bet you could count them on your hand.

Wrestling has problems, but this diagnosis of the problem is too flawed to be taken seriously.

It also provides no suggestions as to how to fix the problems.