Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Exciting News regarding the Midlands

Midlands Selection Committee Looking for Top 15 Post-Collegiate Athletes

Northwestern Hosts Historic 51st Ken Kraft Midlands Championships Dec. 29-30

EVANSTON, Ill. – The 51st Ken Kraft Midlands Selection Committee has announced that they will be conducting a national search for the 15 best post-collegiate athletes.

The Midlands has a rich history of allowing post-collegiate athletes the opportunity to compete for a coveted Midlands title.

"The Midlands will once again represent some of the best talent in the nation,” Northwestern head coachDrew Pariano said. “We already have several world team members and past NCAA champions interested in competing at the 51st Ken Kraft Midlands. Restoring the tradition of having post-grads compete is a major focus of the event."

Northwestern’s own Tim Cysewski won five Midlands titles during his illustrious career and three of those titles came after Cysewski’s collegiate career had ended.

“Every accomplished wrestler wants to add a Midlands title to their resume. If you look into the history of Midlands, you will find that there were numerous Olympians and World Medalists who not only won our tournament, but went on the win multiple NCAA titles,” Cysewski said. “The Midlands Championship is a defining moment in a wrestler’s career.”

Northwestern hosts the 51st Ken Kraft Midlands Championships at Welsh-Ryan Arena in Evanston from Sunday, Dec. 29 to Monday, Dec. 30. Tickets can be purchased here.

Each post-collegiate athlete should follow the instructions listed on the application form here.

Those individuals who are past Olympians, World Team Members and Midlands Champions will receive first consideration.

What I'd love to see....

Matt McDonough enter and WIN the 125 lbs class. Hey I can fantasize can't I? His losses to both Delgado in the BIG 10's and Garrett at the NCAA's leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Delgado does have one victory over a healthy, 100% McDonough and I'll give him that. I'd say at 100% though, he'd have a Hell of a time ever beating him again. I'd like to see one last meeting of the two with both at 100%.

Jake Herbert enter 184 lbs. It saddens me that Ruth would be at the Scuffle, so the two couldn't meet but I'd like to see if Herbert could still handedly win the tournament. Logically I think that he would, but have to question how his conditioning would hold up. Collegiate wrestling is a whole different type of training than is international wrestling. I think overall though that Herbert would win yet another title.

I'd just like to see more Midlands "Warriors" like I like to refer to them as, pop up.

It seems to me the last real Midland's warrior was Jake Patacsil as he wrestled up through graduation until he finally won a title.

What I'd love to see....

Matt McDonough enter and WIN the 125 lbs class. Hey I can fantasize can't I? His losses to both Delgado in the BIG 10's and Garrett at the NCAA's leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Delgado does have one victory over a healthy, 100% McDonough and I'll give him that. I'd say at 100% though, he'd have a Hell of a time ever beating him again. I'd like to see one last meeting of the two with both at 100%.

Jake Herbert enter 184 lbs. It saddens me that Ruth would be at the Scuffle, so the two couldn't meet but I'd like to see if Herbert could still handedly win the tournament. Logically I think that he would, but have to question how his conditioning would hold up. Collegiate wrestling is a whole different type of training than is international wrestling. I think overall though that Herbert would win yet another title.

I'd just like to see more Midlands "Warriors" like I like to refer to them as, pop up.

It seems to me the last real Midland's warrior was Jake Patacsil as he wrestled up through graduation until he finally won a title.

What makes you think Delgado was 100%?

What I'd love to see....

What makes you think Delgado was 100%?

If the Delgado that won the BIG 10's and NCAA's was not 100%,I'd like to see him at 100%. I know that.

The midlands had/has got to do something, the scuffle last year was questionably the best ever team/open tournament. With Penn State, Missouri, Ok State, Minnesota and Cornell to name a few that were there. This year they are adding Oregon State and others.

The midlands had/has got to do something, the scuffle last year was questionably the best ever team/open tournament. With Penn State, Missouri, Ok State, Minnesota and Cornell to name a few that were there. This year they are adding Oregon State and others.

Well, Midlands did add that one school in Eastern Iowa...

OU is going to the Cliff Keen in LV instead of the Midlands this year. The Midlands had to do something, when even Iowa didn't compete last year. Prize money for the champs would help (you can put the prize money for college wrestlers in a fund they get when their careers are over).

His losses to both Delgado in the BIG 10's and Garrett at the NCAA's leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Maybe the bitter taste is McDonough's jock?

Do you smell that? I smell that. That's the smell of utmost denial.

While they were both healthy

Delgado won 11-7 s.v.

McDonough won 6-3

McDonough won 4-3

While McDonough was battling an injury that made him far less than 100%

Delgado won 9-4

Delgado won 10-4

Now a win's a win and I don't deny that. It isn't Delgado's fault nor his problem that McDonough wrestled at probably 65% vs his 100%, but the fact still remains....Delgado didn't face a 100% healthy McDonough.

McDonough and Delgado wrestle in this year's upcoming Midlands and Delgado wins again, I'll eat crow. I say he can't beat a 100% healthy McDonough again.

What denial? I wasn't debating who would win between Delgado and McDonough, I was just helping you figure out the bitter taste in your mouth.

What denial? I wasn't debating who would win between Delgado and McDonough, I was just helping you figure out the bitter taste in your mouth.

oh my mistake, it sounded like you were sour about not being able to admit that a 100% healthy McDonough would've been difficult if not near impossible for Delgado to defeat. Matter of fact, I think it does more than just sound like that. I think it is that.

Not bitter as was just messing with you and actually like reading your posts. These two guys gave us some great matches and at the level they compete at would be pretty hard for them both to be 100% healthy.

I know Delgado, and he has been fighting doubters all his life and proving them wrong. If you get a chance to ever talk to him, do it as you will find out the guy is extremely humble and respectful.

Season will be here soon......CAN'T WAIT!!!

Midcals, don't ya just love the whiny Iowa fans. Nothing was sweeter than sitting amongst them in March.

McDonough actually faced a wrestler, not someone who would play his style. Does a sore shoulder stop speed and a great shot? I didn't think so.

Not bitter as was just messing with you and actually like reading your posts. These two guys gave us some great matches and at the level they compete at would be pretty hard for them both to be 100% healthy.

I know Delgado, and he has been fighting doubters all his life and proving them wrong. If you get a chance to ever talk to him, do it as you will find out the guy is extremely humble and respectful.

----

MidCals... you must be from Gilroy HS? I've been to several MidCals in the past, and I believe Coach Gonzalez' son is now coaching at my sons' old HS (Saratoga).

I saw Delgado wrestle many times in HS. Saw Hunter Collins, Duenas, the Gonzalez brothers... Gilroy has had its share of stars. Seems everyone else in CCS is playing catch-up with Gilroy.

I'm from Iowa originally, so I've been a big fan of McD's. My personal belief is that McD's shoulder injury hampered his performance last season, but as has been said, Delgado did have a win over a healthy McD the year before, so I don't think It's a given that a healthy McD would still prevail. Delgado is unbelievably quick and fun to watch.

Recovering from shoulder labral injuries/surgery is often problematic, so while I hope McD can come back, it will be difficult. Given the shrinking weight classes in FS, he may not be in a great spot (121# too light, 143# too heavy). Such is life.

Anyway, short of Iowa getting a finalist (Clark or Gilman - both long shots), I'll be rooting for Delgado to repeat.

OU is going to the Cliff Keen in LV instead of the Midlands this year. The Midlands had to do something, when even Iowa didn't compete last year. Prize money for the champs would help (you can put the prize money for college wrestlers in a fund they get when their careers are over).

no you cant

I'm actually surprised that the coaches of participating schools would be ecstatic about this. Remember, these coaches need their wrestlers to get the 17 matches against Division I wrestlers to get an RPI..

I have been wondering the same thing for a while.

A good number of solid non-D1 collegiate already throw off the field but at least you can justify them being in the event since they are collegiate. You add post grads and you could realistically see potential national qualifiers who only get one match at the Midlands that is factored into qualification.

I do like it when we see non-D1 Collegiates place at the Midlands. It is nice to see these guys take the call and accept the challenge of the event but under the new rules I think there is a lot less incentive for a program to want to compete in events that don't have D1 matches. The post grad vs collegiate matches are less interesting to me. Though it is nice to see the guys who stick with it and finally see the success like was the case with Jake Patacsil.

Personally, I don't think unattached matches, (particularly redshirts) should count toward qualification but that would even further diminish the potential for qualifying matches at tournaments.

I have nothing against Delgado. I have him thus far picked to finish 2nd this year, but wouldn't be the least bit surprised nor disappointed if he finished 1st again. He wins 2 more titles and has 3 to his name, it won't bother me the least bit. I just don't feel that Jesse Delgado is better than Matt McDonough, if McDonough is at his best. That's all.

His losses to both Delgado in the BIG 10's and Garrett at the NCAA's leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Maybe the bitter taste is McDonough's jock?

While they were both healthy

Delgado won 11-7 s.v.

McDonough won 6-3

McDonough won 4-3

While McDonough was battling an injury that made him far less than 100%

Delgado won 9-4

Delgado won 10-4

Now a win's a win and I don't deny that. It isn't Delgado's fault nor his problem that McDonough wrestled at probably 65% vs his 100%, but the fact still remains....Delgado didn't face a 100% healthy McDonough.

McDonough and Delgado wrestle in this year's upcoming Midlands and Delgado wins again, I'll eat crow. I say he can't beat a 100% healthy McDonough again.

Maybe its also possible that Delgado just got a lot better from his freshman to end of sophomore year? Delgado's other results against common opponents would certainly seem to support that.

BAC - Ok, but if you want to go that route, you've got to go the same direction with McDonough as well. A healthy McDonough made mints meat out of Sprenkle, taking him down easily and sticking him in the first period. A hurt and injured McDonough couldn't take Sprenkle down. (with that said, I'll add that I'm glad that if anyone beat McDonough out for AA status, I'm glad that it was Sprenkle.)

There is prize money given to placewinners at the USA Wrestling International Tournaments. College wrestlers who earn prize money have it placed in an escrow account they get when they graduate. Eric Larkin placed 3rd in the 2000 Olympic trials after his 2nd year of college. The money was placed in escrow which he got after graduation. Now maybe the NCAA can place that restriction on the Midlands that it couldn't give prize money. I'll bet they could give appearance fees that golfers such as Tiger Woods get when they compete in Dubai. Now that might be a couple of hundred instead of a million.