Sign in to follow this  
iSean

two-piece singlets?

The national federation never accepted them. Probably a big reason they rose and fell so quickly in popularity. Novel concept that never really was allowed to be gagged in the market place. Others have suggested a similar concept with the MMA inspired rash guards ( under armor style shirts) and board shorts fight shorts). But again, no real steam behind that since the national board doesn't see it as a viable competition wear.

In my opinion, the option for a 2 piece singlet (UA style shirt/shorts) at the high school level is the #1 thing we can do to attract new wrestlers.

Drawing the parallels between wrestling and other sports, kids see football players like TO , Ocho Cinco and Ray Lewis at training camp in UA tops/shorts. Additionally GSP and other professional mixed martial artists are all over advertisements wearing UA style attire. With USA Wrestling's new football/wrestling campaign and the massive amount of former wrestlers entering MMA, what better way to visually display those similarities to kids that want to look like their idols.

Like it or not, prospective wrestlers are not over joyed at the thought of wearing a singlet... HOWEVER, once they are hooked on the sport, they may come to realize that a 1-piece is more functional/easy to keep track of. The point is if we do not allow for this simple option, we are missing out on a tremendous amount of potential athletes.

*I wonder if anyone has ever thought of suggesting just the compression shorts as a uniform (like they wore way back in the day)? Swim teams wear speedos, so I don't think it would be too over the top. Would there be any functionality reason to prevent it?

DaveyP is right on here. It would be the #1 improvement we can make to our sport. It's a no brainer. The singlet is the butt of jokes, enough said.

Being that the two piece just covers a little more of your shoulders I'm not sure it will be that much of an improvement. Maybe a slight one at best, but not really getting to the root of the physiological issue that most people have with wearing our uniform. A more revolutionary change would be the rash guard and board shorts. The only issue the national federation would have with this would be the possible grabbing of the lose pant material. But the better coverage it allows would do wonders to getting people to try the sport that are scared of the tight singlet combined with the close person to person contact.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_awxFivIw&feature=related

Hope this link works, but here is what I am thinking as far as a 2-piece.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Ujz5sCS3k

Here is what Mad Mardigan is proposing (Rash Guards and Board Shorts). Board Shorts are not bad and they are used in grappling competition successfully, but I agree that someone will complain about grabbing/fingers getting caught.

Good article. Notice that two of our sports best marketers, Rob Koll and Tom Ryan, immediately jumped on board because they understand the ramifications of the singlet. To me this is a no brainer. I do agree that rash guards and board shorts are even better. Are mma guys constantly getting their fingers injured? It doesn't seem like it to me.

This is so right - have to agree. A new cool uniform would really help the sport. The two pieces were to slippy when used in fargo a few years ago. kids couldnt do gut wrenches because they couldnt get a good grip. I think that should be easily taken care of if whoever makes them addressed that issue.

A two piece is needed for two reasons:

1) From a skin infection reason. The more coverage on the body the better.

I think we should have leg tights again to prevent infections. But I would

be willing to have leg short that is similar to the jammer that the USA swimmers

wear. it goes to above the knee.

2) Kids are turned off by it and to be honest women who have no connection to the

sport think it is very "gay" looking. If your mom thinks your sport is gay looking you

are not doing it. I have had several youth mom's tell me they are not letting their

son compete in a singlet in the past 3 years.

Also today's kids with all the baggy clothes and their extreme modesty

think a singlet is bizarre looking.

If the MMA guys are not wearing it people think it is strange.

But by all means change the weight classes so we have more upper weights than middle weights.

That makes sense in today's society. Not.

"1) From a skin infection reason. The more coverage on the body the better.

I think we should have leg tights again to prevent infections."

Had not thought about hygiene as a reason, but with the current severe strands of MRSA making its way through in the wrestling community, this may be the best reason for a 2-piece yet.

Best way to stop skin infections...proper hygiene. I personally don't think that adding a few extra inches of cloth on the shoulders is going to be the savior that some of you seem to think. In fact I can make the argument that the doublet is more revealing being as half the kids I've seen wear them (a few years ago in Fargo) ended up looking like they were wearing a womans sports bra after the tops came up and exposed a lot of skin.

Unfortunately, a singlet is just about as off-putting to potential wrestlers as a sports bra (no disrespect intended to female wrestlers). What I am advocating is not the demise of the original singlet but rather the "option" for high school athletes to wear a 2-piece.

Their site seems to be all but dead at this point: http://www.doublesport.net/

If I'm the VP of Marketing at UA, I don't only see this as way to sell a few more shirts or shorts, but to affect change to a global market of competitors by taking Double Sports' existing idea, some of the comments from posters here and improving upon it, then pitching it to the likes of FILA, NCAA, NWCA, NHSCA, UFC and other leagues, and so on. They'd essentially have a stranglehold on the wrestling uniform market similar to that of Nike when relating to basketball.

Swimming has its speedo's. Vollyball and Cycling have their skin tight shorts (Football not to much past that). Many track teams even down to the high school level are going to the running singlets. Yet all of these sports still get many participants without many people having a uniform related issue.

Lets face it this is not just a matter of skin tight uniforms but a combination of that and having cllose contact with another male. Adding a little more length to the shoulders material is not going to solve that problem for the public or most potential wrestlers since they are still wearing really tight pants and rolling around with someone of their same sex.

This is where something similar to board short and rash guards would work better. Board shorts would help by allowing for a slightly looser material around the hips and legs. I'm not talking about overly baggy material just a little looser so things are not skin tight. Just having a little slack in the shorts will look better to the public, make potential wrestlers feel more comfortable, and will add little to no interference to the flow of a match. Officials shouldn't have much of a problem with this chance since the shoulders are the main judgment area they need tight clothing coverage on to make a distinct judgment call.

The rash guards will cover your upper body completely allowing the public and potential wrestlers to feel more comfortable and yet still allow refs to easily see the shoulder exposure. Sure the HWT may have a larger gut that pushes out on the skin tight top, but that unavoidable because of the need to see shoulder exposure. Obviously the rash guards would need to be lengthy enough to stay tucked into your short even when your are stretched out but they could probably include some type of inside the pants snap or velcro connection system that may be able to help farther with that issue.

I agree with everything you said MM. If fila and USA wrestling allow board shorts and rash guards for grappling, why couldn't they work for wrestling? If fingers aren't getting messed up in grappling they wouldn't in wrestling either. I think in grappling the shirt doesn't need to be skin tight but obviously in wrestling it would. Here's a link with pic from the grappling nat. championships featuring Ben Askren. http://themat.com/section.php?section_i ... leID=23921

I'm actually a big fan of wearing the slightly loose fitting long sleeve rash guards during practice to help in preventing skin disease or just not having to feel as much of your opponents sweat all over you. Though I can see the argument that for competition purposes they may add a little more material that could get pulled or held (accidental or not) during hand fighting exchanges.

GSP uni looked good. I am surprised that I like this idea. This might sound funny but something like that might give wrestling more or a visual tie to MMA...the subconscious & visuals.

I do not know how clean the MMA game really is. I know that the boxing game has a real bad rep. But it seems that MMA has given wrestling a boost & something like this would only help. If FILA went this route I think it would be great as well.

I wonder if Dana White or any other promoter has ever given any thought to having an Exhibition Wrestling match as a part of the undercard?

GSP uni looked good.

GSP used to sport the biker shorts type pants which is basically the same as a half singlet. However, he has since embraced more of a board shorts that are not overly baggy for many of his recent fights.

As far as White he hasn't taken a major stand in pushing wrestling as a major breeding ground for talent. He's mentioned how talented wrestlers are in MMA before, however he's never really got into promoting the big developmental sports (wrestling, BBJ, striking martial arts, boxing, judo). I think he believe they will take care of themselves and he can just reap the benefit of the big time talent that may emerge from their ranks.

MAD MADRIGAN:

swimmers do not wear speedos anymore.

for over five years now they have been wearing a Jammer.

which is like a biking short that goes to about 2 inches above the

knee without the padding.

*infact they use to wear a 2 piece until it was outlawed because

it was so advanced tech wise that it made people faster by quite a bit.

**the first world record in swimming in 19 months just happened last week

since the 2 piece was banned(19 months ago). in the past world records were being broken

every month it seemed with the 2 piece.

MAD MADRIGAN: swimmers do not wear speedos anymore.

We are talking about potential participants and viewers of wrestling at the middle and high school level here. Obviously if you have made it on the national level your comfortable with the uniform and done care much about other opinions and if your a full on wresrling view you are used to it too. At the middle and high school level around the nation speedos are still being worn quite often. Even with some teams phasing in Jammers lately it only been recently at the ms and hs level.

But regardless of if it's speedos or jammers the point is many people are wearing the very tight and revealing outfit without any more of a uproar than we hear with wearing. In fact From high school and as a coach have heard more inappropriate comments and uncomfortable remarks from athletes and people in the stands about wrestling because of there singlets than I have when being at swim meets or talking to swimmers in regards to their sport. We actually have had two examples I can remember of kids not wanting to wrestle in middle school citing it was uncomfortable to wrestle in the singlet only to see them later on on join the high school swim team. Now some maturity may have taken place there too, but point is we lost two potential wrestlers who seemed ok with things in at first but not after learning about the uniform.

This issue is more of a combined problem of being close contact with others while wearing the tight outfit. Something other sports like swimming don't have to worry about. Since we can't fix the close contact issue in wrestling why not fix the issue the the skin tight uniform. Obviously a tight top is needed to ensure back exposure however tight pant are not essential to the sport other than the fear of someone grabbing them. If a set of somewhat close to the thigh (ie not baggy) board shorts were introduced it would help fix some peoples hesitation towards the sport and not provide to much of a grabable surface.