Sign in to follow this  
Frank_Rizzo

Why not 10 weights in all non-Olympic competition?

I thought I read somewhere that the IOC requires the same weight classes even in non-olympic years.

So women's wrestling in years prior to now was given an exemption? 7 for Worlds and 4 for Olympics.

Does every other sport have exactly the same events and classes for their World Championships as they do for the Olympics?

I thought I read somewhere that the IOC requires the same weight classes even in non-olympic years.

People keep repeating this but there is no legitimate source to it. A lot of sports have different programs for non Olympic years. As I've stated before, Cycling hold a world championships every year, even on Olympic cycles. The world championships in cycling is as highly regarded or more so than the Olympics (within the cycling community). Cycling would never consider the Olympics a world championship because it does not match.

The women have already been doing different weight classes for Olympics and Worlds.

To my other idea, if FILA/IOC can't match the Olympics to the program we want, FILA should host the Worlds every year.

I don't think is true. The rules are different for plenty of sports. In Olympic mens tennis for example, they only play best of 3 sets until the finals.

I don't think is true. The rules are different for plenty of sports. In Olympic mens tennis for example, they only play best of 3 sets until the finals.

This is a response that Stan gave last year on this board (see thread title, date and time).

Re: Weight Classes

by StanDziedzic » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:47 pm

In 2004, the Bureau presented to the FILA Congress--which passed--to add an 8th weight class in men's GR/FS in the 3 World Championships between Olympic Games and then, as currently dictated by the IOC, return to the 7 wtg classes for the Olympics. When the IOC heard of the decision, it quickly made it known under no uncertain terms, to do so would not be in the best interest of wrestling in the Olympic movement.

Two years ago FILA applied to the IOC to have 6 Women's weight categories in London. The IOC responded it would grant 2 additional wtgs for the Women, if each of the men's disciplines dropped to 6. FILA voted to counter w/: the men stay @ 7, but each will reduce a few qualifiers in order to accommodate the 2 new women categories. The IOC rejected the counter, so FILA stayed w/ 7 each for the men and 4 for the women. FILA's agenda includes bringing the women to 6, the men to 8 each and increasing the # of qualifiers.

times change. If the IOC didn't want wrestling to have more weight classes in 2004 it's high time to try again. FILA's leadership is changing at least somewhat, as is the IOCs. Public support for wresting is very high, and wrestling just assured itself of a spot for the next 3 Olympics. There is no logical reason the IOC should be opposed to more weight classes. I don't care about 10 weight classes- 7 is fine IMO, but 6 is not. It just isn't safe for there to be that big of a spread at the lower weights. That's forcing lightweights to cut hellacious amounts of weight or get a lot bigger (what do you suppose that will do to PED use?)

Since even the women have 7 at Worlds this year, I cannot see them not having any less than 7 weights at future championships for each style. It seems taking opportunity from men is acceptable, but from women it's sacrilege.

That being said, it's hard to add just one weight because where would you add it? I suspect they'll add "in-between" weights as has been the case with women. That would mean 11 weights per style. However, they probably don't need another class between the 2 heavyweights. So I would expect 10 weights per style at future World events, even for women.

I personally would like to see them add 1 lighter weight too (lightweights make for exciting matches), for a total of 11 per style (I like odd numbers for dual meet tiebreakers), but would be surprised if they did.

Under the proposed weights it's easy. They are 55, 65, 75, 85, 95, 125. If they go with these, adding 60 kg is paramount. Adding any or all of 50 kg, 70 kg, or 105 kg also makes sense. We don't need 11 weights, but we do need more than 6.