Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

interesting Brent Metcalf video

Oh man, rossel and vakattack are going to be breaking out the vaseline and tissue paper to this one.

But on a serious note, I hope USA Wrestling gets behind doing this for all world team members. The video is very well done, but it looks like it was done independent of USAW ... by "Mariacher Productions" (maybe the Mariacher that wrestled at American?). But USAW should seize this opportunity. These are just the sort of videos that USAW broadcast partners need to have access to if they're thinking about covering or doing a story on wrestling. Otherwise they just don't have the grist to do meaningful coverage. Its totally in line with the overall effort to increase visibility and accessibility of the sport. I suspect that these sorts of PR activities on wrestlers' behalf also increase loyalty to USAW and will keep guys competing longer.

As for Metcalf... hope he brings home a medal! He can do it.

Oh man, rossel and vakattack are going to be breaking out the vaseline and tissue paper to this one.

But on a serious note, I hope USA Wrestling gets behind doing this for all world team members. The video is very well done, but it looks like it was done independent of USAW ... by "Mariacher Productions" (maybe the Mariacher that wrestled at American?). But USAW should seize this opportunity. These are just the sort of videos that USAW broadcast partners need to have access to if they're thinking about covering or doing a story on wrestling. Otherwise they just don't have the grist to do meaningful coverage. Its totally in line with the overall effort to increase visibility and accessibility of the sport. I suspect that these sorts of PR activities on wrestlers' behalf also increase loyalty to USAW and will keep guys competing longer.

As for Metcalf... hope he brings home a medal! He can do it.

Burroughs is Engaged to Matt Mariacher's sister Lauren.

In the world team camp coverage on Flo, Metcalf wrestles Taylor in a simulation match. Taylor won by tech. First period was close 2-0. Second period Metcalf scored a TD but then so did Taylor and then he just tilted him up for the tech. Metcalf was not happy.

I think it is safe to say Brent is giving up 20lbs. If at the same weight I go with Metcalf but would be close.

Metcalf is giving up a significant amount of weight and height in that matchup. The result isn't too suprising; remember Taylor pinned the Russian #1 at 66kg a little while back. He seems to know how to use his advantages in an effective manner.

Metcalf looked great in the Flo video. He looks ready. Credit to Metcalf, Brent was supposed to wrestle James Green but Green hurt his shoulder. They were looking around the room to get Brent a match quick and Brent pointed to Taylor. They were simulating the world tournament, wrestling 4 matches with progressively short breaks. After 3 matches and a 15 min break, Metcalf suggests Taylor who is bigger and heavier. Like seeing that stuff.

Kudos to Metcalf for picking out Taylor giving up 20ish lbs in the process. But damn did Taylor look good in those few TD's. In easy and finished easy twice which is not easy to do against Metcalf regardless of the weight advantage. How has he not taken one from Dake yet?? Amazes me.

I like Metcalf's chances this year to finally break through and win a medal. He's been wrestling well, the new rules cater to his style, and it's the year after the Olympics, which is historically the weakest World championship year. Good luck to him.

Kudos to Metcalf for picking out Taylor giving up 20ish lbs in the process. But damn did Taylor look good in those few TD's. In easy and finished easy twice which is not easy to do against Metcalf regardless of the weight advantage. How has he not taken one from Dake yet?? Amazes me.

Dake is an "all timer" when it comes to defense in the neutral position. I think you may be looking to much into how Taylor was able to score on Metcalf. The weight and height/length advantage is significant. Add in the fact that Metcalf has historically had more trouble with the longer/lankier guys and this isn't too suprising. It's even less suprising if it was true that Metcalf was coming off 3 matches with only a 15 minute break before he took on Taylor.

When Taylor wrestles Dake he's facing a guy in his own weightclass who is just as fresh as he is. A guy who has a legendary defense. Very different.

I hope that Metcalf wins a medal. I became a big fan of his after his press conference in sr year NCAAs, but I've always admired his intensity.

And how great is it to have Burroughs in that room with the rest of our guys? You just can't say enough good things about him.

Dake is an "all timer" when it comes to defense in the neutral position. I think you may be looking to much into how Taylor was able to score on Metcalf. The weight and height/length advantage is significant. Add in the fact that Metcalf has historically had more trouble with the longer/lankier guys and this isn't too suprising. It's even less suprising if it was true that Metcalf was coming off 3 matches with only a 15 minute break before he took on Taylor.

When Taylor wrestles Dake he's facing a guy in his own weightclass who is just as fresh as he is. A guy who has a legendary defense. Very different.

Taylor had not been just sitting around. When they grabbed him he was sweaty and looked tired. I think after watching it, he was more gassed than Metcalf in that match. What I liked was a little later in the video you see Taylor showing Brands and Metcalf the technique he used to score so that Brent could learn from what happened during their simulated match. Just a great learning environment for everyone in those camps.

This is really, really good stuff. These taped goes or simulated matches started on the 2011 team. Wish we had them earlier than that. I love this stuff. Wish we had this when Gable wrestled to see if he really could beat Ben Peterson. Which is the same as Metcalf beating Jake Varner.

This is really, really good stuff. These taped goes or simulated matches started on the 2011 team. Wish we had them earlier than that. I love this stuff. Wish we had this when Gable wrestled to see if he really could beat Ben Peterson. Which is the same as Metcalf beating Jake Varner.

I know it's true without a doubt,I've heard it come straight from the Petersons' mouth. Gable would eventually wear out Peterson and many of the bigger guys he wrestled. Yes, of course this is in a practice room setting between college/international teammates, and shouldn't be seriously considered when discussing a real life matchup, but still true nonetheless.

Thanks for the tidbit. Did Taylor wrestle any other matches? I saw a picture a week or two ago with Oliver and Taylor wrestling.

Taylor had not been just sitting around. When they grabbed him he was sweaty and looked tired. I think after watching it, he was more gassed than Metcalf in that match. What I liked was a little later in the video you see Taylor showing Brands and Metcalf the technique he used to score so that Brent could learn from what happened during their simulated match. Just a great learning environment for everyone in those camps.

I love the look on the coach's face when Metcalf points to Taylor. Then, for a split second (in the background), you can see Brands get a huge smile when he realizes that Metcalf is pointing to Taylor.

I also agree that it's great Metcalf, Taylor, and Brands were working together on technique after the match. Very cool.

I like Metcalf...hoping he can win a world title. I didn't always feel this way about him, probably because he wrestled for Iowa. It seems as though our International Team is getting the most talented wrestlers after their collegiate careers, which should improve our medal opportunities in the future.