Sign in to follow this  
dutchcountry7

Disappointment in FloWrestling

Certainly disappointed with the scheduled event competing with the collegiate classic at GMU. The GWWBN has always been inclusive and actually included Flo in its plannig for the Classic. Was surprised to learn of the competitive event. That said, you can't blame a business for trying to succeed financially. There is a profit motive in any business and that's understood. The GWWBNs motives are very different. All of our efforts are through volunteer members. Any monies generated often are the result of those efforts and reinvested back into the wrestling community. The privilege of the effort is to give back to the community. Support the GWWBNs managed Classic and you will see a wonderful show and profits returned. The WIBN and GWWBN effort with the AS Classic is truly altruistic.

dutch...

appreciate your passion. but pretty much every point you made in your blog is based on false pretenses. both your 'facts' and assumptions are way off base.

It would be a lot more helpful if you told us what was false about his points.

Flowrestling. O R G has come a long way from their O R G non-profit days. Now they're charging to watch Taylor and Metcalf practice. WTF?

Wiseman once said, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

The water is starting to taste a little sour. Something's not right with the water : )

I'm sure the high school kids are eating it up and getting their folks to pay up! Great biz model Flo. They know wear their "technique" bread and butter is, which explains why you see grown adults acting so childish. They are mature, and know what they're doing, but what they're doing isn't for all of us. Just sayin.

dutch...

appreciate your passion. but pretty much every point you made in your blog is based on false pretenses. both your 'facts' and assumptions are way off base.

It would be a lot more helpful if you told us what was false about his points.

well, for one, we went through the missouri state athletic board to make sure Pixley was ok to compete. he's all set.

as for the nature of any agreement between Flo and NWCA, that's not really for public consumption. But the assumptions made in that blog were off base.

for instance, this gem: "I have heard nothing about the NWCA event being streamed by FloWrestling which just makes it clear they have turned their back on the event. "

really? because a (self-admitted) novice wrestling fan hasn't heard anything about it, then we turned our back on the event?

yeah. 'clearly'

well, for one, we went through the missouri state athletic board to make sure Pixley was ok to compete. he's all set.'

Was Flo able to work its magic and get a special exemption to the rules so some stated wrestlers can compete? I guess that good for the event, but if a states going to go ahead and overlook its rules like that then I'm not sure why they even still have the rule at all.

Missouri did not change it's rules for flowrestling. I can speak first hand that this event was discussed by the MSHSAA representatives and they deemed it to be an event which selects its athletes based on other criteria than inter scholastic contests (high school season). Based on that rationale, it does not qualify as an all star event according to MSHSAA rules. Flo did its due diligence to protect the possible student athletes from Missouri. I can not speak about other states but flo went through the appropriate channels for Missouri.

Another fact he got wrong is that Michigan doesn't let wrestlers wrestle in opens. "Sophomore Nationals" is a High School National Championship and that is why our underclassmen can't go. The NHSCA hosts (or at least hosted) an even called the NHSCA National Open in the summer time that Michigan wrestlers of all age groups could attend.

I agree that with 52 weeks a year, Flo probably could have found a different weekend. I've practically stopped visiting the website due more to a lack of time than anything. I need quick news about specific wrestlers/teams so I go to the source or hit up Intermat or TheMat. When I watching wrestling videos online, I pull up youtube on my bluray. USA Wrestling is good job of posting matches (for free). Even this is done rarely due to my time constraints (between Curious George with the kids, school, and work)

I don't post on here regularly but look at these boards among others everyday. I don't get all the complaining about Flo. If you don't want to pay to see an event or a coverage don't and miss out. I keep reading people complain that they have to pay to see Metcalf train or some other coverage. $20 a month is very cheap. It's alot cheaper than buying a plane ticket, getting a hotel, and other expenses to travel to see that or the other events. I applaud what they are doing. Keep it up. Other people should just go search youtube or look for handouts elsewhere.

Josh

How did he explain everything? I would argue that viewership for these wrestling events is operating under essentially a zero sum model. Realistically Flo is not competing for new viewers or making the pie bigger. They are competing for viewers that come from a finite, niche group of fans. From the outside it seems like their scheduling for several events is driven by hubris.

How did he explain everything? I would argue that viewership for these wrestling events is operating under essentially a zero sum model. Realistically Flo is not competing for new viewers or making the pie bigger. They are competing for viewers that come from a finite, niche group of fans. From the outside it seems like their scheduling for several events is driven by hubris.

that's what I was thinking

it would make more sense to find another day even if it is the same weekend maybe fri or sunday and when everyone watches the first event hype up the second event so they tune in to the next one.

but this isn't what they are doing they are taking an established event that is just recently finding solid footing and are saying if you don't like our terms you will see that we can crush you and take wrestling fans with us

I don't care about the dual to find out who is the top ranked high school kid when half of them will not be as expected at the college level

this does hurt wrestling flow

My disappointment in Flo comes from the fact that they were built by fans and people submitting videos for FREE and have seem to have lost their way. The fact that they have annoying people doing all the commentary (except for my boy Zeb from time to time) and that they hired the Pennsylvania know it all to do the rankings have made exceptionally worse.

The Wrestling side of Flo is awesome. Martin is a visionary. They have done more for the sport than anybody in the last several years. Wrestling was stagnating and these guys gave us a voice. Giving the Wrestlers a forum, letting kid's see their role models. Showing non wrestling fans the reason why we are freaking out in March. Making the dog hide because he knows a cradle or a half is coming. I love what they do.

On the flip side, their business model is lacking. Double charging, charging then cancelling my acount. charging for months after the subscription has been cancelled. I was reimbursed for a couple months that I was charged following cancellation, i still wanted Flo Coverage over the summer for all of the great international style content. In April, In order to avoid the billing nightmares of the last couple years I created a virtual credit card number with my Mastercard and paid a year in advance. Virtual cc numbers are only valid for a month. In August, I received an email from Ryan.Sterner@Flocasts.com telling me my credit card was no longer valid. i responded: "Ryan I paid the year option in April or May, You wont need my credit card til then. Lets try to avoid the billing nightmares of last year. " At least they haven't shut me down yet this year.

I don't mind the announcers for Flo, they get really into the action and I find it entertaining. If you don't like the commentary, there's a mute button for a reason - unless you want to hear all the exciting wrestling action going on. My only complaint with them was that after being a member for several months I paid the final month for events I cared to see and cancelled the payment subscription to ensure I didn't forget later on. Even though I paid in advance for the month they wouldn't give me access to the events, which definitely irked me quite a bit. I chalk that up to oversight more than trying to scam me out of money though.

Commentary, I would argue, exists to provide information not entertain. That being said, there is very little entertainment value in guys yelling into a mike or having conversations with each other on a mic. On very few occasions has my knowledge of the match or competitors been advanced by the comments of they guys behind the mic (save some events where Herbert was involved.) And being that if we are watching the event, we have then in fact paid to watch the event, as paying customers some credence should be given to the large number of complaints. I don't know that paying a fee to have to mute the commentary is a great response.