Sign in to follow this  
fullnelson

Bruce Burnett retiring

Bruce Burnett, Navy and former USA national coach, will retire Oct 1st. I believe Bruce is one of the finest coaches in the business (if not over-all best). Absolutely no one can prepare a wrestler for a particular opponent better than Bruce Burnett (ask any World/Olympic champ coached by him) On top of that, you won't find a better person than Bruce; I wish him and his wife, Karen, a wonderful well-deserved retirement.

Dead on fullnelson,

I only dealt with Bruce in the college atmosphere until last summer, when he was on the coaching staff for the Junior World championships in Thailand. In listening to Bruce talk to the athletes, in practice, before a match, in the hotel lobby, the amount of knowledge this man possesses is remarkable.

I used to talk about Gray Simons in a way that said he had more wrestling knowledge in his toenail clippings than I would ever know. Bruce Burnett is that kind of guy.

Eloquent, understanding and humble. An unassuming guy, he really doesn't speak out on a topic unless he is fully understanding of both sides of the issue, and then he'll throw out things no one's thought of! We were talking about the National Duals format some in Thailand and he brought up points I'd never considered (and I thought I was pretty adept at knowing most of both sides of the discussion).

Bruce, almost overnight, became one of my favorite people. Listening to him tell stories about wrestling and coaching is amazing. Probably one of the most underrated coaches to those who only look at NCAA numbers, but there isn't anything this guy doesn't know ... he's a master of his trade ... and then some.

The timing is odd.

Pure speculation, but I think the timing is all about his confidence in and loyalty to Brian Antonelli who will be the interim head coach next year. Dean Smith retired in October of 1997 to give his longtime asst coach, Bill Guthridge, the reins with the hopes that Guthridge would prove himself as the next head coach. Antonelli is a class act who is a Navy alum, ex Marine and spent time in high school at McDonogh & Blair Academy.

A classy move to step down and give his right hand man a full season at the helm.

Rameses

The timing is odd.

I just hope that the decision is not related to any health issues.....because that is the first thing I thought of when I read about his decision to retire.