Sign in to follow this  
JasonBryant

Yes Alabama, you have varsity wrestling again (Huntingdon)

very cool. thanks for sharing.

who are they going to wrestle? from this map that Pinnum posted before, looks like the next closest DIII team is W&L.

http://batchgeo.com/map/c0e81f035bb9803 ... 157e67ed9a

I don't think D3 schools have to wrestle D3 teams during the season but rather just qualify via their national qualifier. (Note: Pacific University's distance to the nearest D3 member.)

In close proximity:

Life University GA

Darton College GA

Shorter University GA

Anderson University SC

Chattanooga TN

Brewton Parker College GA

Note: The map needs updating...

noted :) still a great resource tho, thanks for making it available!

and thanks for pointing out some scheduling options. I really have no idea what the rules and regs are.

hopefully Southern Virginia University will upgrade their wrestling program and be another sort of neighbor. that would also bring Rockbridge County, VA's NCAA wrestling team total to 3 (including VMI and my alma mater WLU)! not bad for a rural southern county of >40,000 folks.

So, if we've added 100 programs since 2001, we've certainly not lost anywhere near that amount, right?

Nice to see that Title IX is decimating our sport, eh?

We're seeing gains at schools that are enrollment-driven and need more MALE students.

We're losing programs where there is typically no issue with the amount of students applying. Title IX is still clearly a factor in ALMOST EVERY wrestling drop. We've lost 55 programs. If there's a budget concern, women's programs rarely get the boot, and if they do, it's with a bunch of men's programs to make sure those proportionality numbers don't fall into lawsuit range.

If a program is cut because of a budget, and it's male, Title IX always rears its head. Where do you cut? Well, we can't cut this, because we fall out of proportion. Title IX is involved in nearly every men's cut. It's not even close.

But back on topic. Great for Alabama!

Marion Military competes in the NCWA, they are fully funded through the athletic department. Excellent coaches, the Hazewinkel Brothers. I was told once there's more kids on scholarship in MMI room than any NCAA D1 room. Down side in the middle of no where and very few females.

Marion Military competes in the NCWA, they are fully funded through the athletic department. Excellent coaches, the Hazewinkel Brothers. I was told once there's more kids on scholarship in MMI room than any NCAA D1 room. Down side in the middle of no where and very few females.

Marion is that "funky" thing -- it's not a four-year school, but while it classifies as school supported, it's an NJCAA school and if they're not competing in the NJCAA championships, it's hard to call them truly a varsity program.

While I support (and have supported) the NCWA and their club and varsity programs, there's a difference between a school like Penn College, which is a USCAA school, Apprentice, which cannot compete for an NCAA championship, Central Florida, a straight club team, and Marion, which is a two-year junior college.

Since Marion is a differently-run operation, they don't compete at the NJCAA level. Transitional programs are transitional. Apprentice and the PSU branch campus teams are varsity programs with no national championship for the association they belong. That's different than being, say an NAIA team, and competing in the NCWA and not the NAIA qualifiers.

So, if we've added 100 programs since 2001, we've certainly not lost anywhere near that amount, right?

Nice to see that Title IX is decimating our sport, eh?

We're seeing gains at schools that are enrollment-driven and need more MALE students.

We're losing programs where there is typically no issue with the amount of students applying. Title IX is still clearly a factor in ALMOST EVERY wrestling drop. We've lost 55 programs. If there's a budget concern, women's programs rarely get the boot, and if they do, it's with a bunch of men's programs to make sure those proportionality numbers don't fall into lawsuit range.

If a program is cut because of a budget, and it's male, Title IX always rears its head. Where do you cut? Well, we can't cut this, because we fall out of proportion. Title IX is involved in nearly every men's cut. It's not even close.

But back on topic. Great for Alabama!

Yes, but as someone "close to me" has always said (and, which I agree with), you don't see the successful, big programs getting cut. It is always the programs that have little fan base or success.

And I'll again bring you the example of Nebraska-Omaha (which I also brought up on another board). Fan base and success is relative to each department. If you're talking about winning NCAA championships as a level of success, then you've got 67 Division I programs on the block. The level of success measured for Iowa is vastly different than the level of success expected by the administration at schools like Gardner-Webb.

And I'll again bring you the example of Nebraska-Omaha (which I also brought up on another board). Fan base and success is relative to each department. If you're talking about winning NCAA championships as a level of success, then you've got 67 Division I programs on the block. The level of success measured for Iowa is vastly different than the level of success expected by the administration at schools like Gardner-Webb.

Yes, UNO is one example that would squash that idea-and, I'm only asking because I don't know-but was that shown to be due to Title IX?

Jason is right that Title IX is in play with basically every decision but I am reluctant to attack it directly. While I think it is probably bad policy and poorly interpreted, though I fully support its intent, I have to compare it to gravity. Yes, we can blame gravity for a plane crash just as we can blame Title IX for the loss of programs but the reality is that we are 40 years with Title IX. The shock was felt in the 70s and now it is just an everyday part of life and the landscape.

We know Title IX is an issue and have survived at a lot of programs with it in place just as planes fly all the time even when faced with gravity. Though no aeronautics engineer would blame gravity for a plane crash, administrators often like to say their hands are tied and pass the blame to Title IX so no one calls them out on their mismanagement or change in priorities.

I use to be in the anti Title IX camp and did a lot of research on the topic over the years. (Yes, the Merrit Island baseball/softball case was absurd). What I have learned is Title IX is just an easy scapegoat for both sides which actually hurts us in addressing the real issues.

Jason is right that Title IX is in play with basically every decision but I am reluctant to attack it directly. While I think it is probably bad policy and poorly interpreted, though I fully support its intent, I have to compare it to gravity. Yes, we can blame gravity for a plane crash just as we can blame Title IX for the loss of programs but the reality is that we are 40 years with Title IX. The shock was felt in the 70s and now if it just an everyday part of life and the landscape.

We know Title IX is an issue and have survived at a lot of programs with it in place just as planes fly all the time even when faced with gravity. Though no aeronautics engineer would blame gravity for a plane crash, administrators often like to say their hands are tied and pass the blame to Title IX so no one calls them out on their mismanagement or change in priorities.

I use to be in the anti Title IX camp and did a lot of research on the topic over the years. (Yes, the Merrit Island baseball/softball case was absurd). What I have learned is Title IX is just an easy scapegoat for both sides which actually hurts us in addressing the real issues.

i concur wholeheartedly with the perspective.

im sure there are times when Title IX was poorly interpreted and the effects were negative to the wrestling community. but the way to solve that is to never have been in that position where wrestling was up for the chopping block.

easy to say in hindsight, i know, but i also dont see how making Title IX a scapegoat is useful or constructive. The policy isn't going anywhere, so better to move on to something you can control anyway.

on the plus side, the ratio of females applying and graduating from college continues to grow. having sports teams like wrestling can help increase the numbers of male applications and their retention rates. so no need to be pessimistic about the future and Title IX.