Sign in to follow this  
WreslingSuperior

Wrestling needs an official list of techniques like judo

Interestingly, if you've done judo in this country, you probably used the Japanese names for the various techniques.

But in France, where judo is like the second most popular sport after soccer, they use their own designations. So, it's shoulder throw #1, #2, etc.; sacrifice technique #1, 2, etc.

Interestingly, if you've done judo in this country, you probably used the Japanese names for the various techniques.

But in France, where judo is like the second most popular sport after soccer, they use their own designations. So, it's shoulder throw #1, #2, etc.; sacrifice technique #1, 2, etc.

just curious, but how do you figure Judo is the second most popular sport in France? i'm guessing that bike race the hold every year is a lot more popular than any judo competition.

here's also the wikipedia entry on Sport in France that doesn't mention even Judo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_France

i was actually surprised to learn how popular rugby is in France. they're a top 10 rugby nation.

anyway, not saying Judo isn't popular in France, or that your necessarily incorrect, i'm just curious where you got that info.

just curious, but how do you figure Judo is the second most popular sport in France? i'm guessing that bike race the hold every year is a lot more popular than any judo competition.

here's also the wikipedia entry on Sport in France that doesn't mention even Judo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_France

i was actually surprised to learn how popular rugby is in France. they're a top 10 rugby nation.

anyway, not saying Judo isn't popular in France, or that your necessarily incorrect, i'm just curious where you got that info.

It's very popular, there. This article claims it's fourth:

Approximately 58,000 judoka are registered with the French Judo Federation. That number is a little over three times larger than that of Japan, birthplace of the martial art.

In France, judo has the fourth largest number of participants following soccer, tennis and horse riding. It is also popular as a spectator sport. The World Championships in Paris last August drew a daily crowd of about 13,000, filling the arena to almost 90 percent capacity.

For context: France has a population of 65.7 million, so that's a participation rate of 0.086%. The United States has a population of 313.9 million, and about 270,000 scholastic wrestlers. That's about 0.085%. Pretty similar.

Approximately 58,000 judoka are registered with the French Judo Federation. That number is a little over three times larger than that of Japan, birthplace of the martial art.

In France, judo has the fourth largest number of participants following soccer, tennis and horse riding. It is also popular as a spectator sport. The World Championships in Paris last August drew a daily crowd of about 13,000, filling the arena to almost 90 percent capacity.

For context: France has a population of 65.7 million, so that's a participation rate of 0.086%. The United States has a population of 313.9 million, and about 270,000 scholastic wrestlers. That's about 0.085%. Pretty similar.

cool, thanks for the info.

What makes me leery of a canonical list is the likelihood of FILA's making rules based on it. We're much better off, in my opinion, keeping to simple criteria for evaluating what happens, rather than making assumptions based on what people generally do. So, for instance, the very unfortunate rules we used to have about one gut wrench or one ankle lace in a row. From the look of it, the present "takedown vs. spin-behind" distinction runs down too similar a line for my taste.

Of course, you can define particular techniques in terms of criteria... in fact, you pretty well have to in order to enforce a rule like one-gut-in-a-row. But that's just reflecting pre-conceived notions with criteria, rather than applying general criteria to whatever comes up.

There's also a cultural tradeoff with canonical techniques. We're pretty good in wrestling about embracing (or, at least, not persecuting) innovation. When you define one set of techniques as "correct", however, there's a tendency to start regarding others as "incorrect". While we can be closed-minded (and when we are, the phrase "junk moves" comes up a lot), I can't recall anyone complaining about Judo players in wrestling, using moves which "aren't wrestling". I think anyone who has been around Judo long enough has heard a good number of complaints about wrestlers, and moves which "aren't Judo" (not from everyone, of course; there are plenty of less provincial types, too). And, in fact, not too long ago the IJF disfigured their rules to prevent many such techniques.

Jaroslav Hasek wrote:

In France, judo has the fourth largest number of participants following socc...

In usa there are scholastic wrestlers and wrestlers from clubs. There are over 270000 .....

Jaroslav Hasek wrote:

In France, judo has the fourth largest number of participants following socc...

In usa there are scholastic wrestlers and wrestlers from clubs. There are over 270000 .....

Sure... which is why I said "scholastic". Lots of little kids in clubs, but it's hard to get numbers on them. And there may be Judo players in France who don't belong to the federation. The figures above certainly shouldn't be read as precise, but I think they give a pretty reasonable sense of how big a sport Judo is in France.