Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

Their 120 kg champ isn't really good by Russian standards, hence the switch. Gatsalov has beaten him in practice matches, I think. Gatsalov won some challenge matches against Makhov back in his prime, and was beating Dlagnev at a recent tournament before a last-second screw up, so he should be competitive. The real question is why Gadisov, who beats Gatsalov regularly, did not get the spot. Is he just too small, or not interested, or are the coaches sick of him losing matches he shouldn't?

\

What bugs me is Geduev (74 kg) being left off the team. He was injured during the nationals, but he pinned Khubetzy this year and repeatedly beat him in practice matches post-nationals as well. I wish they'd at least given him an official wrestleoff or something.

What bugs me is Geduev (74 kg) being left off the team. He was injured during the nationals, but he pinned Khubetzy this year and repeatedly beat him in practice matches post-nationals as well. I wish they'd at least given him an official wrestleoff or something.

I bet it's partly because they think Khubezhty matches up better against Burroughs. Geduev is clearly better than he was 2.5 years ago, but JB has already beaten him and perhaps more importantly already familiar with his style.

Actually, I think people are overplaying how much the Russians think about Burroughs. From listening to Guseinov's interviews, he basically said: many older guys did not train right...now lost their spot...they are not Russian champions...that is, the Russian champions go unless its in very bad circumstances like Hugaev who did very bad.

He also said that as the team is so young..if they win 1/2 golds they'd be happy...which is uncharacteristic for Russia, but I think they see this year as mostly trying a new team.

Khugaev was given plenty of opportunity to showcase why he should go instead of Gatsalov. He failed.

I would have liked to have seen Geduev go instead of Khubezhty. I know for a fact that Geduev has beaten him at least twice in the room this summer.

Geduev is the best 74 wrestler in Russia right now.

He had a bad University Worlds and Poland Tournament. The coaches pretty much told him that he better impress in Poland, or he ain't going. He did not impress in Poland.

Plus Gatsalov has beaten him in the room this Summer.

For the 1st time ever, I did not pick a Russian to win a Gold this year. Not a wise choice since they have not gone without a Gold in around 50 years (including Soviet Era).

I think a Russian will grab a Gold in one of the first three weights and maybe Heavyweight-just got to think Gatsalov is too small to win heavyweight being a bumped up 185lb guy. He looked maybe 215-220 against Tervel. We have a real chance to win the team title here but most likely will place 3rd or 4th. I think iran wins it this year with russia 2nd and the US at 3rd. BUt anyway the reason Gatsalov is going is because he is the biggest name in russia behind satiev. Should be a fun worlds in a great host city!