Sign in to follow this  
DF

LOL at making the #1 ranked guy wrestle before the finals

So let me get this straight. You have a wrestler who's ranked #1 because he's been selected as the best wrestler in that weight for whatever reason. Doesn't matter why, fact is he's designated as the best and thus given the #1 rank.

But let's make him wrestle some scrubs in the first couple of rounds anyway. Even better, let's have him wrestle a pigtail match to be allowed into the real bracket. Because you know he just might get upset and that would make things "exciting" and "prove" something. Like wrestling is supposed to be some fable that teaches us a moral lesson every once in a while in a condescending manner. Hey everybody, the #1 rank guy got beat by some nobody...you too can achieve anything if you work hard enough!

Does boxing allow some tomato can to fight the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world? Nope. He's gotta prove himself by defeating a bunch of other contenders to become the #1 contender, then he can have a chance to fight the champ.

Same thing should go for wrestling. Everybody else wrestles through the bracket for the opportunity to wrestle the #1 ranked guy in the finals.

So let me get this straight. You have a wrestler who's ranked #1 because he's been selected as the best wrestler in that weight for whatever reason. Doesn't matter why, fact is he's designated as the best and thus given the #1 rank.

But let's make him wrestle some scrubs in the first couple of rounds anyway. Even better, let's have him wrestle a pigtail match to be allowed into the real bracket. Because you know he just might get upset and that would make things "exciting" and "prove" something. Like wrestling is supposed to be some fable that teaches us a moral lesson every once in a while in a condescending manner. Hey everybody, the #1 rank guy got beat by some nobody...you too can achieve anything if you work hard enough!

Does boxing allow some tomato can to fight the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world? Nope. He's gotta prove himself by defeating a bunch of other contenders to become the #1 contender, then he can have a chance to fight the champ.

Same thing should go for wrestling. Everybody else wrestles through the bracket for the opportunity to wrestle the #1 ranked guy in the finals.

Sort of like the Karate Kid Part III.

Since we (wrestling) don't win a title and take on those who challenge for the title as in boxing. I have never liked the phrase "defending champion" wrestlers earn their title it every season, the title they are pursuing is not "theirs" to defend.

this is a great idea. they should do this in golf too. tiger should only have to play one hole, and if he pars it, then the winner of the challenge tournament only gets second and they have to wait until next year to try again.

returning superbowl champs should also get to take the next season off and get a bye into the next year's superbowl. its absurd to think sports are run in any other manner.

this is a great idea. they should do this in golf too. tiger should only have to play one hole, and if he pars it, then the winner of the challenge tournament only gets second and they have to wait until next year to try again.

returning superbowl champs should also get to take the next season off and get a bye into the next year's superbowl. its absurd to think sports are run in any other manner.

the pervious years winner of the nyc marathon should only have to compete the top finishers from the nyc marathon qualifier held the day before. it doesn't matter if guys think they will be more tired and disadvantaged the champ earned the right to not risk an upset before the finals

the pervious years winner of the nyc marathon should only have to compete the top finishers from the nyc marathon qualifier held the day before. it doesn't matter if guys think they will be more tired and disadvantaged the champ earned the right to not risk an upset before the finals

the winner of the coney island 4th of july hot dog eating contest should then have to challange last years winner to a one on one battle to earn the vaunted mustard belt.

the winner of the coney island 4th of july hot dog eating contest should then have to challange last years winner to a one on one battle to earn the vaunted mustard belt.

So a full Joey Chestnut should oppose a hungry Joey Chestnut for the mustard belt?

Since we (wrestling) don't win a title and take on those who challenge for the title as in boxing. I have never liked the phrase "defending champion" wrestlers earn their title it every season, the title they are pursuing is not "theirs" to defend.

That makes no sense. Wrestlers do in fact win titles. Each weight class has a wrestler who wins the title for that weight class, whether it be a state title or an NCAA title. And the title does belong to the champion until somebody else wins it the next year.

Not that I want to play in one of DF's little games here, but I thought this response to be excellent.

I disagree, each title is defined by the year in which it is won, therefore each one is different and separate.

In boxing one is the "world champ" and it is their title to defend until it is taken away by losing it to another boxer or the sanctioning body strips it. there is no year attached.

In yearly tournaments, an athlete can be a returning champ but one can't defend a title that can't be owned until earned.

That makes no sense. Wrestlers do in fact win titles. Each weight class has a wrestler who wins the title for that weight class, whether it be a state title or an NCAA title. And the title does belong to the champion until somebody else wins it the next year.

I disagree, That is why we have each championship defined by year, each one is different and each one is earned by winning a separate tournament. One can be a "returning" champ but it is hard to "defend" a title that hasn't been awarded yet

DF, you are dumb.

It's pretty weak sauce seeding people anyway. There is a great tournament in Oklahoma, the Geary Tournament, where wrestlers aren't even seeded..it's just random. Makes for a lot more interesting tournament. There have been years when state champions have clashed in the first round!

If a guy is really #1, it shouldn't matter where he's seeded anyway.

It's pretty weak sauce seeding people anyway. There is a great tournament in Oklahoma, the Geary Tournament, where wrestlers aren't even seeded..it's just random. Makes for a lot more interesting tournament. There have been years when state champions have clashed in the first round!

If a guy is really #1, it shouldn't matter where he's seeded anyway.

Back in my youth coaching days there were plenty of tournaments that seeded kids by their claimed record. Kids came from all over in these tourneys and there was no centralized record keeping.

So some weak kids claimed tremendous records in order to get good seeding. But many of the hammers sent in a record of 0-0. They wanted to be seeded last in order to get the most matches.

I had a seven year old stud who was entered into a tournament where the seeding was done as much by politics as by facts. When the charts came out, I noticed he was seeded last. I couldn't help myself, I had to rag him about it. He just smiled. He couldn't have cared less where he was seeded. He pinned the #1, #4 and #2 seeds in the first period anyway.

Does boxing allow some tomato can to fight the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world? Nope.

Actually.....it does. Remember Chuck Wepner? Don't feel bad, nobody else does either. But he fought Ali. Remember Leon Spinks? He was all of 7-2-1 as I recall when he got a title bout versus a flabby Ali. Ali routinely fought slobs and tomato cans that probably couldn't win a bar fight against your local 125 pounder. But he was a popular champ and was getting paid a lot of money no matter how unaccomplished his opponent. And Ali wasn't alone either in picking on the weaklings.