Sign in to follow this  
Voice_of_the_Quakers

Obe Blanc

Serioursly, themat.com, how is this story not in your rotating lead section?

Not casting any aspersions on Blanc until the process completely plays out, but a roster change days before Worlds on the website for the national governing body of the sport should be a bit more prominent, don't you think?

Kind of reminds me how the big story for 2020 is the addition of a 6th Women's FS weight class, and not the elimination of the 7th weight class across all styles.

If you're wondering why many of us are worried about the sport even after the recent "victory" at the IOC, well, keep burying stories like this.

http://www.themat.com/article.php?ArticleID=26984

after the thread had been up for a few days i speculated it was a failed drug test waiting for a b sample. the thread was pulled down soon after. it was apparent that he wasn't injured so legal or drug matters seemed to be the only reason he would not be competing. I don't understand the need or want to conceal failed drug tests.

after the thread had been up for a few days i speculated it was a failed drug test waiting for a b sample. the thread was pulled down soon after. it was apparent that he wasn't injured so legal or drug matters seemed to be the only reason he would not be competing. I don't understand the need or want to conceal failed drug tests.

As I knew last week that he was out (with no reference as to why), my thread on it was to only wish Angel Escobedo the best at Worlds.

Naw. It's just that USA Wrestling has no real protocol for dealing with doping positives.

UCI (cycling) always issues a press release on control positives, even before the B sample is tested. They've learned long ago to go ahead and get it out there and quickly move on.

Naw. It's just that USA Wrestling has no real protocol for dealing with doping positives.

UCI (cycling) always issues a press release on control positives, even before the B sample is tested. They've learned long ago to go ahead and get it out there and quickly move on.

The protocol from USAW has always been to let USADA handle the release of that information. USAW, at least from what I understood when I worked there, had to wait for that USADA release before publishing the information. Since it was close to the event and there was still no USADA release, Obe issued a brief statement.

So in theory, yes, there isn't a true protocol, other than it falls under the guise of USADA to make those statements.

i am interested to hear what the positive test was for. obe claims to have not knowingly taken anything. with all the supplements available over the counter with banned substances it is a believable story. however, it is very dumb also. i am sure they have someone available to consult them on supplements that have illegal substances. obe had a great performance at the trials. i wonder how much help he had.

I find it hard to believe our wrestlers have the resources for access to anything but error with over-the-counter supplements.

I also find it hard to believe USA Wrestling doesn't hammer the dangers of these things with World Team members.

You do not have anyone to tell you what is legal and what is not legal. Further, when you try to contact USADA, they will explicitly deny you any information on which specific supplements are legal or illegal. For example: If you call or email USADA asking them if GNC preworkout fruit punch is illegal, they will explicitly tell you "we will not answer that question."

You do not have anyone to tell you what is legal and what is not legal. Further, when you try to contact USADA, they will explicitly deny you any information on which specific supplements are legal or illegal. For example: If you call or email USADA asking them if GNC preworkout fruit punch is illegal, they will explicitly tell you "we will not answer that question."

Is this not the list of what is legal and not? http://www.usada.org/prohibited-list/athlete-guide

It's unreasonable to expect any testing agency to vet individual supplements, first and foremost because if an athlete chooses to take supplements, it is his job to check the list of banned substances. Moreover, a lot of these supplements, especially some of the Chinese brands/etc will contain unlisted banned substances....obviously the athlete can plead ignorance since it is not on the label, but when he buys one of these "miracle" supplements, there shouldn't be any guise as to what he is ingesting.

I understand USADA's position because they are the testing agency, not your coach or consultant. If USAwrestling doesn't have someone on board that is well versed in the substances that are banned, and able to consult with athletes that is a crime. Total incompetence to not have someone trained for that. It should be there for the athletes. They should be familiar with the popular supplements and what is ok and what isn't. Wrestling at an NCAA institution our compliance officer even helped with banned substances. If we had a question about supplements the trainer or compliance officer found the answer for us if they didn't know. It still comes down to doing the research even if USAwrestling is incompetent on this matter.