Sign in to follow this  
ideamark

Darton State's Ben Richards dead after heat-caused collapse

Tragic news from the south this afternoon...

Ben Richards, one of three wrestlers to have collapsed from heat-related illness during outdoor workouts last week at Darton State College in Georgia, died Friday at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Fla. He was 20 years old.

Richards, a sophomore, had collapsed in the heat after a five-mile run a week ago Wednesday, along with a teammate. (A third wrestler had collapsed the day before.) Richards was hospitalized in Albany, Ga. in critical condition before being airlifted to Florida overnight Sunday.

To keep reading... http://www.examiner.com/article/darton- ... d-collapse

Here in VA, it was probably the hottest we have been all summer. Brutal heat wave that probably was worse in GA. I can see it, but I also see a big law suit. Were the kids properly hydrated? Was water denied? Who knows, but I am sure there is more to follow. Only speculating here, not pointing fingers.

Please note... there have been reports that Richards is still alive, on life support. There was confusion in that Darton State had issued a statement about his death early Friday afternoon, before some members of his family had made it to his hospital. The school then retracted the death announcement late Friday, which led to some media outlets reporting he was not dead. However, doctors declared him dead Friday morning, but kept him on life support until family arrived. He was taken off life support Friday afternoon.

Also -- is a fund to help family with medical expenses. You can make donations online: http://fundly.com/benjamin-richards#more-info

Revised story: http://www.examiner.com/article/darton- ... d-collapse

Mark Palmer

College Wrestling Examiner

and

Senior Writer, InterMat

yes, definitely happens in football. I recently watched something on TV about people trying to educate coaches about safe practices and heat stroke management. I wrestled in South Africa a while back and we trained in pretty vicious heat- he gulped down water bottles and poured them on our heads during breaks in the action. Without constant acess to water, I could definitely see someone dangerously overheating.

Honestly, I can't see any excuse for this. How do you have healthy young men dropping dead during a workout? That's a failure up and down the chain of command. AD down to the wrestling coach should be sacked.

Honestly, I can't see any excuse for this. How do you have healthy young men dropping dead during a workout? That's a failure up and down the chain of command. AD down to the wrestling coach should be sacked.

Is this even a workout that is being supervised by a coach or university staff? Darton is two year university and competes in the NJCAA. Their wrestling coach might not be full time staff and the first official practices probably doesn't start until next month, so these could be "optional captain's workouts." Sure the coach might give an off season workout plan to the wrestlers, but what I'm saying is this incident may have happened somewhat outside the chain of command.

this happened to one of my college teammates during the first run of the fall. it happened quickly and he didn't show many signs before it was almost too late. luckily the training staff acted quickly and he made it to the hospital in time. they told him he was 15-20 minutes from being in critical shape.

the fact that two guys were sent to the hospital the day after the first incident shows pure negligence from the coaching staff. sickening to read.

This is very sad. My heart goes out the wrestlers and their families.

I hope that wrestling makes some changes, similar to what happened in the 90s when three wrestlers died in the span of a week or so.

you don't need changes, you need common sense. afternoon workouts outside when the temps are over 100. i can't believe there isn't an outcry for the coaches head. the day before, a wrestler went to the hospital for heat related illness. the coach would have been relieved of his duties already if i was the ad there.

This is very sad. My heart goes out the wrestlers and their families.

I hope that wrestling makes some changes, similar to what happened in the 90s when three wrestlers died in the span of a week or so.

you don't need changes, you need common sense. afternoon workouts outside when the temps are over 100. i can't believe there isn't an outcry for the coaches head. the day before, a wrestler went to the hospital for heat related illness. the coach would have been relieved of his duties already if i was the ad there.

I must have missed something. It's September so practice hasn't started yet so they were out for a run on their own most likely and the coaches have nothing to do with it.