Sign in to follow this  
jolugogar

Wrestling's FILA Prepares for Purge

As long as they cut the right fat (there is certainly some there), great idea. Martinetti wasn't the only guy there letting everything fall apart.

Doesn't look like they are. This sounds like them saying that anybody who wasn't directly cheerleading loudly enough for wrestling staying in the Olympics is going to be canned. Reminds me of how anybody who didn't spend enough time mourning Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il in North Korea got sent to the reeducation camps there. Sorry, Mr. 49North, but I'm not optimistic.

A long term vision is needed within FILA. Frankly, it's lacking. Badly.

The following quote told me enough about the FILA board's thinking, that it doesn't think any further than their morning cup of coffee.

I care little about my legacy or how I'm remembered, my focus is to do what I can to preserve the dreams of being an Olympic Champion for the millions of wrestlers world-wide--male and female, GR and freestlye--something it appears you care little about.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135654&start=210

international wrestling needs a legit pro tour. FILA is at its core a political organization. its run by and for bureaucrats, not wrestlers.

its useful for the sport to have a representative to schmooze with the other federations and keep everyone in the IOC happy, but wrestling needs an organization set up to promote the sport so that all the benefits accrue to the athletes and the fans, not to politicians.

lets get Fox Sports 1, Dan Gable and some venture capitalists in a room together and make it happen.

international wrestling needs a legit pro tour. FILA is at its core a political organization. its run by and for bureaucrats, not wrestlers.

its useful for the sport to have a representative to schmooze with the other federations and keep everyone in the IOC happy, but wrestling needs an organization set up to promote the sport so that all the benefits accrue to the athletes and the fans, not to politicians.

lets get Fox Sports 1, Dan Gable and some venture capitalists in a room together and make it happen.

+1

As long as they cut the right fat (there is certainly some there), great idea. Martinetti wasn't the only guy there letting everything fall apart.

Agreed. For some reason FILA's press releases aways sound somewhat dystopian, with their purges and extraordinary congresses and whatnot, but this is something that badly needs to happen. Could it turn into a gong show? Absolutely.; however, if the right people are let go and the right people are hired in their place (Igali interested?) this is something that badly needs to happen. Wrestling needs a ton of fixing and the people who fix it probably shouldn't be the people who screwed it up.

The ATP tour already provides a model for how a tour like this could work. It's not that far fetched, but it requires someone to make the initial investment.

It's probably more reasonable to start small, one tournament at a time. Start a tourney in Iowa City, dole out serious prize money (say $50,000 for champions per weight class), and pay for it with a sold-out arena. See if that can attract eyeballs for advertisers and go from there.

Doesn't look like they are. This sounds like them saying that anybody who wasn't directly cheerleading loudly enough for wrestling staying in the Olympics is going to be canned. Reminds me of how anybody who didn't spend enough time mourning Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il in North Korea got sent to the reeducation camps there. Sorry, Mr. 49North, but I'm not optimistic.

“A decision on the further participation of each FILA bureau member will be made based on their personal involvement in the fight to keep wrestling's Olympic status and their responsibility for the previous decisions. The process of self-purification has only begun.”

I guess it sounds like that if you ignore the second part of that paragraph, but I'm willing to bet that many of the guys who sat around doing nothing 2 years ago are the same guys who sat around and did nothing this year. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see what happens and I am weary myself, but it's at least a step in the right direction if done correctly.

“A decision on the further participation of each FILA bureau member will be made based on their personal involvement in the fight to keep wrestling's Olympic status and their responsibility for the previous decisions. The process of self-purification has only begun.”

I guess it sounds like that if you ignore the second part of that paragraph, but I'm willing to bet that many of the guys who sat around doing nothing 2 years ago are the same guys who sat around and did nothing this year. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see what happens and I am weary myself, but it's at least a step in the right direction if done correctly.

Not what I was thinking. I'm thinking of people who were thinking more about a long-term vision rather than simply saving their presence in the Olympics. I have little doubt that if I was working for FILA, and saying what I've been saying the past seven months about needing to work on a long-term vision and being less concerned about the Olympics, I'd be turfed out of their offices by this time tomorrow morning. But what I said in February, and have said ever since, still applies. We need a long-term vision, and to put that into action, and then have let the pieces fall where they may. Might not have happened immediately, but eventually, the Olympics would have eventually worked out for themselves.

That being said, now we still need a long-term vision, to consolidate our position, and promote our sport for more than just the seven days in September. Otherwise, we'll be in the same situation come February of 2021.