Sign in to follow this  
DF

State Champ/Finalist Thread (Non-Champs/Finalists Keep Out)

Hey guys, I thought it would be nice to have a thread only for those of us who actually won a state title or at least made it to the finals. There's a whole bunch of people on this forum who spout off nonsense like they know what they're talking about when it comes to matters pertaining to wrestling, but who were themselves most likely mediocre wrestlers at best. I've kindly asked those people to keep out of this thread so as to not pollute our discussions with their ignorance.

You guys already know how I won my state title, so I think it would be a good idea for the rest of you to introduce yourselves to the group and tell us how you won your state title or took a respectable 2nd place.

just to clarify...

So, Wyoming (state population 0.5 million, with 3 divisions and roughly 16 teams per division) gets 84 state champs and runnerups invited, but California, with population of 40 million, 800 high schools, and only 1 division, gets only 28 invites?

just to clarify...

So, Wyoming (state population 0.5 million, with 3 divisions and roughly 16 teams per division) gets 84 state champs and runnerups invited, but California, with population of 40 million, 800 high schools, and only 1 division, gets only 28 invites?

And what state did he have his state championship vacated from? Denial doesn't count, sorry.

Does a state runner up as a junior wrestler qualify me for this thread?

Indeed it does. There's something extraordinarily anti-heroic to win a state title or make it to the finals before your senior year and then to never do it again in subsequent years. There was a guy I knew who won state as a freshman, and everybody said he was going to be the greatest wrestler ever because nobody had ever won a title at that weight as a freshman, and then he never placed at state again. It's like those rogue wrestlers who come out of nowhere to win olympic gold once and then just vanish.

How about someone who coached state champions?

Negative, ghost rider. Unless you yourself were a state champ/finalist, then it doesn't matter how many wrestlers you coached to state championshiphood. Please exit this thread accordingly.

a credentialed message board is a great idea. i'd also like a minimum SAT score threshold or some equivalent before anyone is allowed to post. after all, its not just wrestling expertise that is necessary to communicate cogent arguments, but writing ability and critical thinking as well. I think a 1250 base line, or at least a 700 on the verbal portion, is a good place to start.

When I won my state title in Arkansas as a Senior, it was the best day of my life. There were 8 of us in total...for the whole state, but these were the toughest kids you'd ever meet. Sure, some of them had never wrestled before, but I was certainly not going to take anything for granted. After my opponent failed to make weight for the semi's, I found myself in the state finals!

Right off of the whistle, I was able to counter my opponents headlock attempt and roll through it to take a 2-0 lead. After several intense flurries, we went into the 2nd period all even at 11-11. My opponent from East High had a wicked switch and immediately took a 13-11 lead. He put a ton of pressure on me with his 2 on 1. I almost felt like I couldn't breath, but then I got a sudden burst of energy and was able to escape to close the gap. Late in the 2nd period, he attempted his patented Fireman's Carry, but I fought it off and was able to get the takedown. Now I am leading 14-13. I choose neutral for 3rd period since his 2 on 1 was devasatating. Knowing that he had to take me down, I played hard to get.

A warning from the ref, and a glance from my coach told me that I needed to attempt to wrestle. The East High wrestler hits a perfect double leg and takes me right to my back. I bridge for at least 15 seconds, then I am able to finally belly down. Now, he is leading 18-14 and there is under a minute left. He immediately starts to punish me with his 2 on 1. I can't move, but he isn't doing anything either. The ref calls a stalemate and I get another chance. On the whistle, I explode to my feet and get the escape. 18-15, but I need to score points. This guy has such great position that I can't get to his legs. With 20 seconds left, my opponent inexplicably attempts another double leg takedown. He must of thought that he could run the score up on me! As I am falling back from the shot, I remember a move I learned in summer camp. Just as my butt is hitting the mat, I hit an elevated cement mixer and take him straight to his back. He doesn't know what hit him. I don't get the fall, but secure a 2 & 2 to win 19-18.

After the finals are over, and the pictures have been taken, a random fan walks up to me. He says, "that was one of the most technically sound wrestling matches I have ever seen, congratulations on your victory". I never learned who this fan was, but he had a strange tat on his left forearm that read "Everybody needs an antihero". The scholarship offers started to show up, but I decided to leave my shoes on the mat. I wanted to let my final match be my wrestling memory.

I tried to be a state champ but it wasn't in the cards. I do have a son who was a state champ and also a cousin who was a 2x state champ. And I watched a lot of state champs wrestle. And did I tell you I tried to be a state champ. So I think I will crash the party too.

When I won my state title in Arkansas as a Senior, it was the best day of my life. There were 8 of us in total...for the whole state, but these were the toughest kids you'd ever meet. Sure, some of them had never wrestled before, but I was certainly not going to take anything for granted. After my opponent failed to make weight for the semi's, I found myself in the state finals!

Right off of the whistle, I was able to counter my opponents headlock attempt and roll through it to take a 2-0 lead. After several intense flurries, we went into the 2nd period all even at 11-11. My opponent from East High had a wicked switch and immediately took a 13-11 lead. He put a ton of pressure on me with his 2 on 1. I almost felt like I couldn't breath, but then I got a sudden burst of energy and was able to escape to close the gap. Late in the 2nd period, he attempted his patented Fireman's Carry, but I fought it off and was able to get the takedown. Now I am leading 14-13. I choose neutral for 3rd period since his 2 on 1 was devasatating. Knowing that he had to take me down, I played hard to get.

A warning from the ref, and a glance from my coach told me that I needed to attempt to wrestle. The East High wrestler hits a perfect double leg and takes me right to my back. I bridge for at least 15 seconds, then I am able to finally belly down. Now, he is leading 18-14 and there is under a minute left. He immediately starts to punish me with his 2 on 1. I can't move, but he isn't doing anything either. The ref calls a stalemate and I get another chance. On the whistle, I explode to my feet and get the escape. 18-15, but I need to score points. This guy has such great position that I can't get to his legs. With 20 seconds left, my opponent inexplicably attempts another double leg takedown. He must of thought that he could run the score up on me! As I am falling back from the shot, I remember a move I learned in summer camp. Just as my butt is hitting the mat, I hit an elevated cement mixer and take him straight to his back. He doesn't know what hit him. I don't get the fall, but secure a 2 & 2 to win 19-18.

After the finals are over, and the pictures have been taken, a random fan walks up to me. He says, "that was one of the most technically sound wrestling matches I have ever seen, congratulations on your victory". I never learned who this fan was, but he had a strange tat on his left forearm that read "Everybody needs an antihero". The scholarship offers started to show up, but I decided to leave my shoes on the mat. I wanted to let my final match be my wrestling memory.

That was a great story tightwaist! Would your name happen to be Dylan Ness? :)

As a point of reference :

I recall a conversation with my favorite coach. It was back in my Jr year of HS.

State championships down in Urbana.....one of our lower weight guys (a very good/tough kid) was 'stickin' his opponent for the 3rd place bout in his wt class. Our guy had lost just twice all year. One of those losses was..... in those semi's.....to the eventual state champ. Said semi bout was one hell of a bout to watch. Crowd pleasen'........and lots of skills demonstrated by both wrestlers.

As our guy was presented the 3rd place medal----my coach turned to me and said----"often times (given our current bracket system) there can likely be a number of weight classes where there is little, or no difference, between the 1st and the 3rd place wrestlers."

Since then, I have made it a point (for me), to check out the tourneys 3rd place bouts (COLLEGE and/or HS). And, in turn, look back at who the consolation winners lost to.......in the winners bracket. Did he wrestle the champ ? If so, was it a barn burner bout ?

I emphasize, there may be more to the story for the 3rd (perhaps even the 5th) placers. In many cases they may have worked there nuts off in order to stand on those steps of glory. That, is to say, any step. Perhaps......should they wrestle the champ 4 different times........those consolation winners may win 2 of the 4 bouts.

Now.....I'm just sayin.' Take a look.

Looks like the original poster lives in the past. Sounds to me that his life evolves around him talking about his big match. It's both funny and sad.

Sounds like somebody's mad they couldn't win a state championship.