Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Floyd Mayweather, Hydration and a Question for the Gurus

According to ESPN, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, Mayweather's opponent made the 152-pound catchweight limit Friday and then rehydrated to 165 on fight night while Mayweather lost a half-pound from the weigh-in.

I can believe that Alvarez gained that much after the weigh-in, but is it possible that Mayweather or any other weight-class athlete would actually be that underweight.

Also, looking at Mayweather, he looks at least as big as Jordan Oliver did when he was at 149.

What gives?

Most boxers, like wrestlers cut a lot of weight to get to a lower weight class. I believe Floyd started his career at 130 back in 1996 after winning bronze at Olympics. He won titles at 130,135,140,147,and 154 over a long undefeated career. Floyd stays in shape year round, where most boxers and wrestlers balloon up. Floyd could still fight at 140 if he wanted, but he fights at welterweight(147) mainly which is near his walking around weight. He has fought 154 pounders before that is definitely not his best weight class, but he did it for the payday. Canelo was the only fight everyone wanted, so he had him drop an extra 2 pounds to make the fight. So basically Floyd is rare where fighters usually put on 10-20 pounds the day after weigh in, he walks into the ring right around the weight he weighed in at the day before.

Most boxers, like wrestlers cut a lot of weight to get to a lower weight class. I believe Floyd started his career at 130 back in 1996 after winning bronze at Olympics. He won titles at 130,135,140,147,and 154 over a long undefeated career. Floyd stays in shape year round, where most boxers and wrestlers balloon up. Floyd could still fight at 140 if he wanted, but he fights at welterweight(147) mainly which is near his walking around weight. He has fought 154 pounders before that is definitely not his best weight class, but he did it for the payday. Canelo was the only fight everyone wanted, so he had him drop an extra 2 pounds to make the fight. So basically Floyd is rare where fighters usually put on 10-20 pounds the day after weigh in, he walks into the ring right around the weight he weighed in at the day before.

This, pretty much. Floyd is a natural lightweight who has fought at light welterweight, welterweight and occasionally light middleweight for years for the paydays. Floyd is well known for eschewing the boxing tradition of training camps. Instead, he treats training as a full time job. He employs a full-time nutritionist/chef and is in great shape at c. 147 lbs. There really are no fights for him to make at 140 lbs. and under - his defensive skills are such that only guys with a size advantage are going to sell tickets. Also, bulking up is not going to help him much. He's a more powerful puncher than people give him credit for, but he's had bad hands for years.

The one possible inaccuracy I see above is that Floyd made Canelo come down to the 152 lb. catchweight. According to Floyd's camp, Canelo's people floated the notion of the catchweight to entice Floyd, and Floyd jumped on the offer. He's fought at 154 before and I think he would have fought Canelo at that weight, but why not take the pounds?

Many may not like Floyd because of his act but he is flat out the best fighter maybe EVER! I honestly thought Canelo had a chance. Wasn't even close. Floyd just runs clinics on the best dudes in the world and he's like Dake, his skills transfer to the higher weights. What's best is he's figured out a way to control his own business. He made $73 million in his last 2 fights on the fight purse alone not including the pay per view money generated.

According to ESPN, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, Mayweather's opponent made the 152-pound catchweight limit Friday and then rehydrated to 165 on fight night while Mayweather lost a half-pound from the weigh-in....

Mayweather said on the post-fight interview on PPV that he weighed 146 when he woke up Saturday morning, which was 4.5 lbs less than his weigh-in weight.

Mayweather is very good but his years of running from a fight against Manny Pacquiao tarnishes his accomplishments.

As for best ever, he wouldn't beat Sugar Ray Leonard, much less Sugar Ray Robinson. Gene Fullmer would have pounded him into hamburger. Benny Leonard would have put him down as well. Emile Griffith(before he changed style after killing Benny Paret) would have had him dizzy and down on the canvas.

Carlos Monzon, Thomas Hearns, probably even Carlos Palomino - all would have given him all he ever wanted and probably beaten him.

Fight 15 rounds rather than the chickenshiz 12 of now and he would have had a much harder time of it.

Mayweather is very good but his years of running from a fight against Manny Pacquiao tarnishes his accomplishments.

As for best ever, he wouldn't beat Sugar Ray Leonard, much less Sugar Ray Robinson. Gene Fullmer would have pounded him into hamburger. Benny Leonard would have put him down as well. Emile Griffith(before he changed style after killing Benny Paret) would have had him dizzy and down on the canvas.

Carlos Monzon, Thomas Hearns, probably even Carlos Palomino - all would have given him all he ever wanted and probably beaten him.

Fight 15 rounds rather than the chickenshiz 12 of now and he would have had a much harder time of it.

Zelph, as much as some overrate Mayweather (there isn't anywhere near the competition in boxing anymore) I think you underrate him. He is a Willie Pep type fighter..... very clever, always in motion, does the little things right, and looks for angles (Benitiez at his best was like this too). Fullmer and Monzon were way to big and not really in the discussion. I could see Leonard-Mayweather going a lot like Benitiez-Leonard and that was a very close fight. I think Hearns matches up against Mayweather (like Saddler-Pep). Palimino would give it a go but would lose a decision every time. I think - because of styles not because his is particularly better - Mayweather would do well against either Benny Leonard or a Welterweight Duran (a lightweight Duran would have owned Mayweather). Griffith made all of his fights close and was bigger, a pre-Paret match-up is the most intriguing of the bunch. Robinson as a Welterweight beats everybody who fights him at Welterweight..... he's the best ever.

Of course these are obviously opinions. ;)

I just wonder what on earth you've seen from mayweather that makes you think any of those guys would beat him. His defense is better than all of them and I'd venture to guess he's as fast or faster and he trains as hard or harder than anybody in the sport.

The one possible inaccuracy I see above is that Floyd made Canelo come down to the 152 lb. catchweight. According to Floyd's camp, Canelo's people floated the notion of the catchweight to entice Floyd, and Floyd jumped on the offer. He's fought at 154 before and I think he would have fought Canelo at that weight, but why not take the pounds?

I heard what Floyd and his camp said, and I also heard what Canelo's camp says. I also heard Ellerbe and Floyd wanted the fight at 147 originally and of course they said no(interview from Canelo himself). They then agreed on 152. So who do we believe? Either way both parties agreed on 152 and now its over with. I personally think Floyd should have just fought him at 154 n beat Canelo without the catchweight BS. Floyd made a statement a while back about how Manny Pac made Cotto lose those extra 2 pounds at welterweight to drain him to make their fight, which I totally agree with. And he also said something along the lines of he always wants to fight an opponent at their best weight? So why not just fight him at 154? He beats him regardless.

Mayweather isn't cutting weight. During one of the early episodes of 24/7 for his fight against Robert Guerrero he was shown stepping on an electronic scale after a workout session and he weighed 147.1; that was wearing workout shorts (and probably a boxing cup). Heck his hands might have still been wrapped. Mayweather jokingly commented, "Look I'm already on weight."

Dude is a gym rat, some days he is in the gym for 3 separate workout sessions.

This summer on HBO, a 140lber weighed 164 pounds for HBO's fight day weigh-in.

The weight limit definitely should have been 154lbs, the fight was for jr middleweight world titles and that weight division limit is 154lbs. If you're fighting for a title belt than that weight division should be the weight limit; you want to do a catchweight then it shouldn't be for a title.

And lol @ someone stating Mayweather's legacy is tarnished because he ducked Pacquiao. Guy has won world titles at 5 different weight divisions and gone after the top guys in each weight. How did a reigning champ duck someone? Did I miss Mayweather forfeiting a title instead of fighting Pacquiao?

Pacquiao had the fight with Mayweather, all he had to do was agree to blood testing.

After winning world titles at 130 & 135, Mayweather actually agreed to fight 2 title eliminating bouts at 140lb; please tell us another 2 division champ that has agreed to do that? Doesn't even need to be undefeated like Mayweather.

Then in 2006 after the debacle of the welterweight title fight between Judah & Baldomir - sanctioning fees weren't paid so the loser, Judah, was still the IBF champ. Mayweather went on to fight both of them, he could have gone the way of Pacquiao, Dela Hoya, Jones, Jr or Miguel Cotto and had an organizing bodies to strip one of them & give him the title or "title" bout.

Doesn't sound like a ducker to me.

Heard Floyd weighs in high 50s or low 60s when he is away from the gym (like when he was in jail). When he trains, making weight is no problem. Like a previous poster pointed out, he officially weighed in at 150.5 and then the next morning was actually 146.5 and had to rehydrate even more before the bout. Alvarez weighing 165 had no effect on Mayweather. Just another example where flawless technique offsets a significant advantage in size/weight.

Did the math and Floyd made roughly $1,900 a second for 12 rounds of action Saturday night, based solely on guaranteed purse, minus taxes and all that business of course....Not a bad night at the office....

Sorry but your math is wrong. He actually made roughly $19,213 a second!!! I am not including the minute breaks between rounds, just the time he boxed.

60 seconds x 3=180 seconds x 12 rounds=2160 seconds fight time. $41,500,000 ÷ 2160= $19,213 per second roughly.

Very good night at office.