Sign in to follow this  
armspin

Worlds day 1 results

Wild first session! Some upsets, as can always be expected, some great matches (55 Rus vs Geo, wow!). Tough format, the Russian has that wild match, then 15 min later has a well rested Iranian, def tough break, wish they would change this format! Like the new rules, now if we could tweak the format, and add more weights, but that's a whole different discussion.

Looks like I picked all 4 semi-finalists at 55 and 96, only had one for the 4 correct at 66. I got one finalist right in each weight.

Tough draw again for Metcalf, and a tough break with Taghavi getting upset afterwards. Didn't expect much from Bergman, too bad he lost the way he did tho. Great day so far for Escobedo, here's hoping he comes out strong in repechage!

Young Russian team looking good for the most part. 55 and 66 both battled some top ranked guys early and come out on top. Last second takedown and the format I mentioned before hurt in those weights, 96 just got beat by one of the best in the world. If they pull 3 bronze medals that won't be a bad first day. Not sure how many real gold medal threats they have left, maybe 60?

Iran with 2 in the finals, they have to feel like they missed a great opportunity to have all 3 in the finals! I'm sure they didn't expect their 2x champ to go out like he did.

All 3 finalists I picked correctly I also picked to finish 2nd, so I can't get any gold medal picks right. Based on what we have right now, I guess I'll go with Kumar, Lopez and Yadzani to win tonight.

Also want to say this coverage is great! Live stream, broadcast, it's awesome! I'm at work so I can't watch much but at least I can listen to results for all the mats. When I can watch the action is great! I wish they would out updated brackets somewhere, but otherwise outstanding coverage!

Multiple matches that I've seen where the wrong wrestler thought he was winning in a late match tie situation. OT is a necessity. This is still embarrassing for a sport's world championships. Embarrassing.

I knew that Cuba was winning. Maybe in the heat of competition the Mongolian can be given a pass for not keeping up with criteria as Lopez obviously didn't either as he desperately tried to score at the end. But no excuse for coaches from both sides not knowing the situation and criteria. It's not like there were so many points scored that you have to refer back to the score card.

I'm all for OT, but not realizing the criteria in this match is not reason for it. It's embarrassing for the coaches of world level athletes, not the the sport's world championship, to not no the criteria.

Its not like losing to Lopez is embarassing or anything, but its still frustrating that Garcia didnt score on him, when all his other matches went to shootout. I hope Lopez wins tonight, very fun guy to watch when not wrestling Garcia.

My gosh Yazdani is Paul Bunyan back to life. It is amazing this guy only has one title. He is going to break Gazymazov in half!!! I really want to see that final!

Gayzumov is wrestling great as well, Im SO pumped to see the two go at it. Last year they wrestled in an all clinch match but it was still pretty entertaining. Yazdani lost to some pretty good wrestlers down at 84 (Ketoev, Sajidov), hence his lack of other titles.

Its not like losing to Lopez is embarassing or anything, but its still frustrating that Garcia didnt score on him, when all his other matches went to shootout. I hope Lopez wins tonight, very fun guy to watch when not wrestling Garcia.

It was a shoving match. Lopez got a good push toward the edge early in the 1st for the winning point. Very disappointing match to watch.

If the powers at FILA refuse to add overtime, couldn't this problem be solved by some type of indicator light on the scoreboard that clearly shows who has the tiebreak.

I'm not sure of the on site scoreboards but the display on the video feed seems to have the score of the wrestler that is "winning" a tied match underlined to indicate who has criteria.

Maybe that is not what the underline indicates as I just looked back and the Mongolian had the underline to end the match against Lopez. Or maybe that it was the underline is for and that was the reason for the confusion.

I'm going to start paying attention to that underlined score going forward.