Sign in to follow this  
armspin

Worlds day 1 results

I dont know if they hate each other, just two very powerful guys that are used to having the strength advantage over their opponents meeting each other. Unless there is some history I'm not aware of. Garcia loses 6-0 to PRK, disappointing but the Korean is good. Was giving it to Lopez pretty good earlier but Lopez stepped over on a counter for the fall.

If the powers at FILA refuse to add overtime, couldn't this problem be solved by some type of indicator light on the scoreboard that clearly shows who has the tiebreak.

I'm not sure of the on site scoreboards but the display on the video feed seems to have the score of the wrestler that is "winning" a tied match underlined to indicate who has criteria.

The display was incorrect on more than one occasion. I would imagine that could be the case also if it was displayed on the scoreboard.

I understand what you are saying about it being embarrassing to the coaches/athletes that they do not understand the criteria and realize if they are ahead or behind. But, to me, you are talking a "perfect world" scenario. As in, a perfect world where the scoring is clearly indicated/awarded/understood and processed by all competitors/coaches in a timely fashion. This clearly does not happen, even at the world championships, in all matches. It also relies on the match not being so high scoring that it is confusing even if you understand the criteria perfectly. Take the 55kg 1/4 final - great match - that ended up 20-16 for the Russian. If that match is tied late, do we really have confidence that either athlete is going to be certain of criteria - remembering exactly how many 2 or 3 pointers they have as well as their competitors scoring.

Not understanding criteria IS an acceptable reason for OT.

If the powers at FILA refuse to add overtime, couldn't this problem be solved by some type of indicator light on the scoreboard that clearly shows who has the tiebreak.

I'm not sure of the on site scoreboards but the display on the video feed seems to have the score of the wrestler that is "winning" a tied match underlined to indicate who has criteria.

Maybe that is not what the underline indicates as I just looked back and the Mongolian had the underline to end the match against Lopez. Or maybe that it was the underline is for and that was the reason for the confusion.

I'm going to start paying attention to that underlined score going forward.

Billyhoyle's suggestion is just common sense. There should be an indicator, like an arrow pointing toward the person who is winning, both on the scoreboard in the arena and on the international feeds.

The display was incorrect on more than one occasion. I would imagine that could be the case also if it was displayed on the scoreboard.

I understand what you are saying about it being embarrassing to the coaches/athletes that they do not understand the criteria and realize if they are ahead or behind. But, to me, you are talking a "perfect world" scenario. As in, a perfect world where the scoring is clearly indicated/awarded/understood and processed by all competitors/coaches in a timely fashion. This clearly does not happen, even at the world championships, in all matches. It also relies on the match not being so high scoring that it is confusing even if you understand the criteria perfectly. Take the 55kg 1/4 final - great match - that ended up 20-16 for the Russian. If that match is tied late, do we really have confidence that either athlete is going to be certain of criteria - remembering exactly how many 2 or 3 pointers they have as well as their competitors scoring.

Not understanding criteria IS an acceptable reason for OT.

Once again, I'm all for OT. The coaches/wrestlers not knowing the criteria in that 1 match is not reason enough for OT. The score was not 20-20, it was 6-6.

The 6-6 score warranted OT. The parties involved not knowing the fairly simple criteria (which did not change with any edition of this year's rule sets) did not warrant OT.

Once again, I'm all for OT. The coaches/wrestlers not knowing the criteria in that 1 match is not reason enough for OT. The score was not 20-20, it was 6-6.

The 6-6 score warranted OT. The parties involved not knowing the fairly simple criteria (which did not change with any edition of this year's rule sets) did not warrant OT.

Got you. Although I would point out that the announcers did not get the winner right also, because there was some confusion about a caution being awarded. Which leads me back to:

1) We don't award our scoring clearly enough for the competitors/coaches, let alone the fans.

2) When we do award scoring, we can not display it in a manner which would help the coaches/competitors see criteria, AGAIN let alone the fans. (Quanon's point)

I realize we agree, just pointing these out for emphasis again (not to you).

Esco loses 2-1. That might haunt him. For lack of a takedown or pushouts, he does not get the bronze. Hopefully this has been a learning experience that he will capitalize on.

Now on the other hand, 5th at the WC is nothing to be ashamed of. Outstanding effort for the day. Today it will sting, but as time goes on, he should be holding his head high. Great effort Angel!!

mspart

Rahimi beats Kumar 2-1 for gold. I think both his points were on cautions. israpilov with quick pin for bronze.

Kurbnaliev with great 7-5 match over Georgia, lots of action. Mongolia wins the other bronze 3-1 with a big throw on the edge.

Lopez loses to Armenia 2-2 on a late takedown, he was up 2 cautions and Armenia scored by converting a high-c on the crackdown. Some confusion about the tiebreaker again, both guys thought they won for a second. Serves FILA right for having complicated criteria instead of a simple OT. I was pulling for Lopez but he didn't deserve to win with no TD's. Cubans really seem to struggle in the finals,

clearly a disappointing day 1 for team USA. Metcalf only getting to wrestle once is clearly a reason to add some type of wrestle back.

Escobedo was right there but barely took any shots against Kumar...if you want it, you need to go and get it, and he didn't

clearly outclassed today.

Boltukaev wins a very exciting match over Krupanyakov (sp), Ukraine techs the Georgian for the other 96 bronze. Bring on Yazdani/Gayzumov! Great match to finish on.

First period.. each guy scores a single leg TD. Yazdani works for a good 30 seconds to finish from the tripod position, then tries to put an armlock on:)

Second period, Yazdani clamps down upper body and defends, Gayzumov tires and Yazdani spins around behind. Yazdani wins 4-2. Pretty incredible accomplishment, Yazdani wasn't even supposed to wrestle due to injury and now he's world champion again.

What was interesting was how much bigger Teghavi was than Metcalf. He looked almost a full weight class bigger.

Agreed. Even Zeke said Taghavi makes a big weight cut. I wonder how much?

Even at the last World Cup, Taghavi looked bigger and much stronger than Metcalf. Seemed like Brent couldn't budge him when they went to the 2nd period clinch.

I honestly thought Metcalf might turn the tables this time, given all his experience and success.

To me, the anticipation of an opening round match-up between Metcalf and Taghavi was as good as a UFC title fight. (Yes, I was disappointed with the results, but wasn't real surprised.)

Side note for Brent Metcalf:

Keep your head up kid! You're a world-level stud, and you gave us fans tons of fun over the years!

USA Wrestling has videos up for any matches Americans are in, are the matches with two non-Americans up as videos anywhere?

dartfish.tv has or will have everything. Sign up and you can download any videos you want, or watch them online.

Well, very disappointing to say the least about Metcalf, and Bergman. Good job by Escobedo though, (he should be pretty proud of himself). But I am not sure if our outlook for the next two days is going to be all that much better, except for Burroughs. Hopefully I am wrong.

As far as Metcalf is concerned, I really think that the cut to 145 is just too much for him, but who knows. I just feel bad for him.

Bergman, I am not sure what's up with him but maybe he needs to do some soul searching to try and find a way to let the monster loose. He pounds our guys domestically but internationally, he just wrestles with too much reserve. It may be that when it comes to international competition he just doesn't wrestle the same way, or has the same mental outlook, he has the stuff, he has beaten Varner, but I am sure if Varner was here (and still had the fire in his belly) he would have gotten a medal because, Varner just has (it).

Based on just about nothing...I would bet that this will be Bergman's last tournament. I believe he is at the upper age limit and hasn't he been injury prone to a point ?

Metcalf ran into a 2X world champ. The guy is a tough and huge. Who knows, maybe the Iranian would be up a weight if we had 7 to 9 weight classes. If FILA ran normal tournament with full Repcharge and reasonable rest between matches then it would not be unreasonable that Metcalf would have at least placed.